newbie has questions on buying a bowrider

jlaitar

Cadet
Hello all. I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for some advise on buying a used bowrider in the 2003 to 2007 range. With many manufactures out there, are there a few that people could recommend? I've heard some say that you can't go wrong with Four Winns? Is Bayliner, Chaparrel or Kayot that much worse? I guess brands/motors to consider and stay away from?

What I'm looking for is a family friendly bowrider that has an I/O, is in the 20-22 foot range, has a nice padded back seat across the engine area and a swim platform. It also needs to be a decent boat to ski and tube behind.

Not knowing much about boats, any info that you can pass along would be great.

Thanks

Jeff

solar7647

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: newbie has questions on buying a bowrider

I am going to agree with, you cant go wrong with a Four Winns. But every one has their opinion. Bayliner isnt bad, you cant throw a rock without hitting one. I have never encountered the other ones. But you are going to want some thing with about 200hp if your going 20-22 feet long. good luck.

bhammer

Ensign

Welcome to iBoats. Lots of good members here with help. There a many good boats, some better built than other's or with different featurs than others. You should be able to find a boat show somehwere close to you. That is a good place to start. After you look at a few, you will begin to see a patteren in the construction. With any boat purchase, get the biggest engine possible as I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they have too much power. I have a Starcraft 1900 and it is 19'6" with an 8'6" beam and it is a relative dog with a 220HP Merc 4.3 injected. It is a heavier boat but it has the type of construction I was looking for. Storage is another big plus; you can never have too much.

You can also spend time at marinias and ask folks if you can look at their boat and what are their likes and dislikes. Good luck!

cbavier

Lieutenant

Welcome to iBoats. There are lots of good members here with help in any topic or problem you choose. There are many good boats, some better built than other's or with different features than others. Look at a few different boats and you soon will learn what to look for. After you look at a few, you will begin to see a patteren in the construction, quality and what will meet your needs. With any boat purchase, get the biggest engine possible. I suggest a used boat for your first one. If you do go this route let us know before you buy for advice. Whichever route you choose new or used a Sea Trial is a must. Think of what you want to use the boat for. Fishing, Skiing, Tubing, Crusing. How many people and their size will be on the boat at most times. Storage is important. You can never have too much. A reputable Dealer is also very important if you go new.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

i am going to suggest you look at deck boats as well as bow riders, deck boats have more usable space. same performance, and ride. usually an area for a head or portapotty.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

First off, for that recent a boat you should accept nothing but close to like new for the condition. ANY signs of neglect would be a deal breaker.

How much are you planning to spend? We could give all sorts of advice on brands, etc. but it makes more sense to focus on those in your price range.

As was said, usable interior space is important. A 20' and a 22' can be very different boats. What size do you need/want? Also, don't just go by the size indicated (like a "220" or whatever model). some include swim platform, some don't, etc.

Lastly, how do you feel about owning a brand considered low end vs. considered high end? IMO, many don't really feel good about being seen in a Bayliner, for example, because it's considered by many to be a junky, cheap brand. Is it? Probably not so much anymore, but the perception remains. There's nothing wrong with wanting to feel proud of your boat! That's up to you.

Some of the middle brands considered in the class of Four Winns are Chaparral, Regal, Sea Ray, Monterey and I'm sure some others. They're more similar than different, IMO, but lots of small differences that make you prefer one vs. the other. Lots of other brands also that are just fine, some better made even (Bryant, Cobalt).

Mercruiser or Volvo Penta, V8, (prefer 5.7L to 5.0L if 22') Fuel Injected and running perfect and you're good to go.

Blue Crabber

Ensign

Welcome to iboats! Great forum here with lots of knowledge! I second the beckboat idea. Don't rule them out without least looking at them. Lots of room, versitile, etc.

Also, as others have mentioned. Get out there and look at them. Craw around, check the storage (never have enough!) Check the seats, etc. One thing to steer away from is wood! Try and find a boat constructed of only fiberglass. I personally love Sea Ray and Montereys but I currently have a Four Winns and am very happy with it!

Also I will agree with get the bigger engine. Especially for watersports! I would not buy a 22 foot boat with anything less than a 5.0 V8 but that is just me. I have a 4.3L V6 and I think that it is the minimum for watersports and my boat is probably going to be lighter than what you are looking at.

Good luck! Looking at boats is half the fun!

tashasdaddy

agree the Bayliners are as well built, if maintained as any other boat. there were not bad Bayliners, there were uneducated, bad owners.

lrdchaos

Petty Officer 1st Class

Honestly, in the age your looking at there really aren't any "bad" boats. The competition is so tough they would not be in business. My advice, don't worry about name brands, find something that has the space and layout you really like.

I agree with this statement. As far a bayliner goes, or any other brand....that people look down on. And I can speak, because I have a tahoe and alot of people don't like the tahoes. But you will find that some won't like them, but there are thousands more people that do. Don't get involved in keeping up with the jones on this site. Buy what you can afford, make sure it's has been kept up, and take care of it. Whether you look at a cobalt or a bayliner, the powertrain is the exact same.....so you don't have to worry about that. You just get into some creature comforts. I would rather have a lower end boat that could be paid off in 3 years as opposed to going 10 on a top of the line boat.

204 Escape

Ensign

+1 on the deck boats. I agree. We had a "bowrider" style fish/ski. Went to the deck boat, for a couple of reasons. But basically for the room !!!!!

Good luck with your decision. There is ALOT of choices, out there. I don't envy you having to choose.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

agree the Bayliners are as well built, if maintained as any other boat.

tash, usually you provide great advice here, but.....WHAT!?!?!?!?

OF COURSE Bayliners are NOT as well-built at Cobalts, Bryants, and MANY other brands! What are you talking about?

Maybe you can say they are well worth the money paid, but "as well built"?????? NO, they are not.

Bayliners, Tahoes, etc. are lower cost boats made to fit boaters who want to get more boat for the money they pay. Nothing wrong with that, but it is what it is. Why argue differently when it's just not the case?

As far as "don't keep up with the Joneses", I think each buyer needs to decide that for themselves. As I said, some do want their boats to reflect appreciation for better made "stuff" and are willing to pay up for it. Others aren't. personal choice and not our business one way or the other.

Agree that most boats that new should be very capable boats if they were well maintained.

JB

This is the Mercury and Mariner Outboard Engine Troubles Forum.

Moving to the BOAT Forum.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

One of the other mods accidently moved it to the Mercury forum...it was right above a Mariner specific question in the Boat forum.

woodee148

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I agree that the deck boat is the way to go. I have one and I love it. Someone above said the deck boat has the same ride as the bowrider. I disagree, i think you give up part of your slicing action with the deck boat as most have a modified "V" and they tend to be a bit rougher in the chop. Well worth the sacrifice.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm very happy with my 21ft Larson Senza bowrider. Great for tubing and ski. 5.0l 220hp Volvo Penta is perfect for what I use it for. Plenty of power for pulling weight and cruising the rivers and lakes. I highly recommned Larson also, very good quality boat built with fantastic warranties.:D

Rdraidr

Cadet

I've had a 18' Glastron and now a 19.5' Galaxie (TX). Older, rough riding, but tough as ..... Glastron with a Volvo Penta (worked on it all the time). Newer, V-hull (smoooooth), with a Yamaha 5.7 (GM motor with Yamaha outdrive) - never had to work on it. I believe both Glastron and Galaxie are well built with upgraded hardware, etc. More Glastrons available. Would recommend either, but if buying used, check the deck, the motor etc. Every moment spent checking before you buy will result in saved hours and frustration later!

jkust

Rear Admiral

Wow, you have pretty much given us carte blanche without much guidance. There are so many possible great debates on the responses up to this point. I would start with asking what your budget is then start drilling down. If you are a cash buyer with a lot of resources, go high end but as someone said earlier...there really aren't many 'bad boats' made in the year range you mentioned. I personally would be indifferent to wood versus no wood construction. It is a red herring. Wood is actually good and there are plenty of brands to go and compare with and without.

jlaitar

Cadet

Sorry about not posting my price range. That's kind of a major factor. I'm looking to spend somewhere in the 18K to 25K range. I guess it depends on what I find and what deal I get.

Do hours on a boat mean that much? How about the Volvo engine vs the Merc? I've heard that for skiing 220 HP is the min you should look for?

Thanks

Jeff

This_lil_fishy

Master Chief Petty Officer

Somehow this thread go split. Anyhow see my response on the other thread. As for bayliner be of lesser quality. I thought the build quality on the ones we looked at was very good. HOWEVER, the boats weren't near as well appointed. The 19' boats starting out with the 3.oL for instance, which in my mind would be sorely underpowered. Also, unless you ask for fiberglass, most of the lower models have carpeted wood flooring, which if not maintained would rot in short order. However the hulls seem very solidy built, and well put together. They just lack the finer details as one would expect in a lower budget boat.

Ian

shaggerman

Recruit

I'm also a newbie at 54 and like the Sea Hunt 186 Escape LE with Yamaha 115 4-stroke. Is this a good fishing/cruising boat that can handle back rivers and also 3-5 footers in the sounds off coastal Georgia. Does anyone know if this boat sprays the occupants in rough water. Thanks for any and all info.

shaggerman