Think this would be a good boat???

IVAZ

Master Chief Petty Officer
Re: Think this would be a good boat???

GM and Ford both made a 5.0 so it could be either in that boat but I would bet it?s a Chevy.
From what some of the guys here say about OMC is that their not really weaker. Their parts are just not as easy to find. You have to remember that any boat will require something done to it every once in awhile.

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So, would you guys rather have the Larson or Chris Craft? Assuming both engines were Mercs.

I'm not buying any of them right now. I'm just really torn. I do love that the Chris Craft has the V8, but if the Larson is a 50+ MPH boat, well that's pretty damn quick!

I think I need to figure out which is a better boat, then take a closer look at the power plant.

Steve

IVAZ

I don?t have any experience with marine 305's (GM's 5.0). On street applications its one of the most gutless engines GM ever put out. I would not get excited about a GM 305. A 5.7 is definitely a good V8 (same stroke as the 305 but a bigger cylinder bore).

MikDee

Banned

I don?t have any experience with marine 305's (GM's 5.0). On street applications its one of the most gutless engines GM ever put out. I would not get excited about a GM 305. A 5.7 is definitely a good V8 (same stroke as the 305 but a bigger cylinder bore).

Not my experience with a marine 305! If you took the time to click on the boat links in my signature, you'd see my old 79'- 20' SeaRay bowrider with a 305/228hp Mercruiser, that would regularly do 48mph fully trimmed out, and one time 50mph, but that was a heavy boat. Plus, the 305 was easy on gas, compared to a 350, or a 4.3 with a bigger bore.

SS194 You're right though that ChrisCraft has a 302 Ford V8 because the distributor is in the front (from the pics). It's probably 215, or 225hp, but doesn't have the torque of the 305, nor is it as thrifty, I've learned from experience with my previous older 18.5' Wellcraft Airslot with a 302/188hp 2bbl Merc. also in my link.

MikDee

Banned

One more thing to keep in mind, an OMC drive is bigger (though not necessarily heavier) then a Mercruiser, but longer as well, causing a lot more drag in the water, especially if you have 2 like I did.

IVAZ

Mikdee,
I did not intend to offend you.
I was only stating the truth. The 305 is not a performance engine of any sort. They are way underpowered and I doubt they could get better mileage than a V6. They are reliable engines. If a good deal came on a boat with a 305 I would buy it and be happy. They are not bad engines.
I only stated they were gutless because the op seemed to like the idea of the V8. This is not a performance engine whatsoever and it?s marginally better than a 4.3 V6 if at all.

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My first boat was a 17' 1976 ski boat with a Ford 302 Merc. It was a great engine! The thing never missed a beat, it would absolutely leap out of the hole, and would top out at just over 50 MPH whether I had 4 people in it or just me. Tons of torque, it sounded great, and got great gas milage. It was just that the rest of the boat was rotting and it was only a 4 passenger.

And that's why I want another V8. I was already spoiled.

Steve

IVAZ

A Ford 5.0 is way better than a GM 5.0. You would get that great V8 sound with that 305.

MikDee

Banned

Mikdee,
I did not intend to offend you.
I was only stating the truth. The 305 is not a performance engine of any sort. They are way underpowered and I doubt they could get better mileage than a V6. They are reliable engines. If a good deal came on a boat with a 305 I would buy it and be happy. They are not bad engines.
I only stated they were gutless because the op seemed to like the idea of the V8. This is not a performance engine whatsoever and it?s marginally better than a 4.3 V6 if at all.

I know the 305 pretty well, I had an HO version in my 88' Monte SS (pretty lame), and in my 78' Chevelle (peppy), and my boat (pretty strong). I agree they are not the best engine for performance, But Mercruiser gets 270hp out of them lately :eek: with vortec heads, & who knows what else? I'm sure with factory mods in line with the 4.3V6.

But, in a boat somehow they got almost 230hp with a 4bbl out of them back in 1979, not bad!

Still compared to today's 4.3V6 which has less friction with 2 less cylinders, a bigger bore, and about 220hp, with vortec heads,,,, the 305 is pretty lame, but because of these very features, the 4.3V6 will drink more gas when it's under the same extra load as the 305, at least from my experience!

MikDee

Banned

A Ford 5.0 is way better than a GM 5.0. You would get that great V8 sound with that 305.

IMO, Not Quite, I doubt that 302 Ford would have pushed my 79'- 20' SeaRay with the 305 Chevy to that same 50mph! In a lighter boat maybe ;)

I've had experience with both of these engines in a boat.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

A few notes on OMC.

OMC went out of business in 2000. This was after they had already been in a joint venture with VolvoPenta which led to the VolvoPenta SX sterndrive. This design was actually heavily based on the OMC Cobra drive. The OMC design was/is better than compareable Mercruisers of the time. I think it was sometime between 96-98 that OMC got out of the sterndrive business all together and sold off everything related to it to VolvoPenta.

OMC also owned many boat manufacturers when they went out of business in 2000. Chris Craft was one of these companies. As you can guess during the time that OMC owned Chris Craft they were only available with OMC powerplants.

After 2000 the boat companies were sold off primarily to Genmar. Chris-Craft was actually purchased by an equity firm and they still own the company today.

The outboard motor and other engine portions of the company were sold to Bombardier. In sort of an interesting twist Bombardier actually supports all of OMCs sterndrives prior to 1998. You can see online parts catalogs and good diagrams for the OMC sterndrives all the way back to 1968. Many of the parts are no longer available from them. However, the illustrated catalogs can be very helpful.

http://shop2.evinrude.com/ext/index.aspx?s1=8c06744f3e7c815ccf2a206009a15d3b

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I think I'm going to have to just decided based on boat condition. If I find a boat that's in great shape and is what I want, I doubt I'd walk just because of the name on the outdrive.

I appreciate all the help and opinions. I'm sure I'll be back with more questions once I go look at some boats.

Steve

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That Chris Craft looks 10 years older than the Larson to me. Just a change in styles around mid 90's I guess, but the Larson looks "new", the C-C looks "dated". Also, I'd bet on the Larson in a race between the two. I doubt the C-C has much more hp and I know Larson's have faster. lighter hulls.

If you buy the OMC KNOWING the issues and ready to work on it yourself, then at least you know what you're getting into. Me, I'd avoid it like the plague, but I don't do much mechanical work myself so I want a merc mechanic available when needed.

NCCamper

Cadet

SS,

I cant find it now, but there is a thread on here about someone on Mtn. Island Lake that was hit right across the bow, doing serious damage to their boat, by someone test driving a Chris Craft, this past weekend. They said the Chris Craft was not damaged. May not be the same boat, but I thought I'd give you a heads up, if you go check it out. Say, on Charlotte CL right now, I saw a 1999 Sea Ray Sundeck for <$10K, and it has the V8 you are looking for. It's in Buford, GA, which is across the SC line, though. Looks good too! I am a little biased toward the Sea Rays, though.

Good Luck! Let us know how you decide.

NCC

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Just got a reply from the Chris Craft owner. It's got a soft spot in the floor.

It's out of the question now.

That takes care of the problem with the OMC. Now I just need to see the Larson.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

SS - of the boats you've shown, I'd go for the Larson over the others without blinking. That's assuming a mechanical and hull inspection checks out. That motor will be just fine on a boat that size. The boat looks clean and relatively new and should get you on the water with a minimum of fuss. Get it in the water for a test if at all possible, though.

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm thinking the same thing. I think if I really like it, I'll give him a small deposit and ask to take it out with him for a test. I really want to see how it is on the water.

Steve

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Alright, I'm going tomorrow afternoon to look at the Larson. Assuming I find no problems except for what he stated, which was the tach and the bimini top showing a little wear, what would be a far price? What price should I really be shooting for? I'm thinking about $8,000. He's asking $9,500.

Steve

SS194

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's more information on it. This is the e-mail he sent me last night.

The boat is in excellent condition! I will tell you all I know. I bought the boat three seasons ago and have used it all three seasons with little or no problems.

When I bought the boat I had the steering system replaced under warranty. the second season I owned the boat I had the power trim replaced under warranty. At the end of last season I noticed a little leak from the raw water pump so this year I replaced it.

All of these replacements were about $500.00 repairs each and indicates these should not give any problems for years to come.

The motor and out-drive have been maintained meticulously and I have winterized the boat each November keeping in the garage through the winter and kept in the garage when not in use in the summer.

This boat cranks every time and is extremely reliable.

The tachometer does not work. I have looked for a replacement but have not found one yet. it is a Faria gauge and I believe it has a lifetime warranty; however I have not removed the gauge to send off for repair or replacement.

All upholstery is in excellent condition and the snap out carpet is good as well.

The hull is a VEC lifetime warranty Larson hull and provides a very smooth ride in the water compared to most other boats this size.

The cockpit and bow covers are serviceable with now tears or holes. The Bimini top is serviceable but does have some wear on the leading edge of the fabric.

This model does not have an hour meter but I am estimating 250-350 hours based on my usage and my knowledge of the previous owner.

I have three boys and with friends we just needed to upgrade to a larger boat. we have bought another boat so I am anxious to sell this one. I have it stored in a friends garage so I will need to make arrangements for you to look at it or test in the water; but it shouldn't be a problem.

I have included some additional pics. The average retail on this boat is just over 10K with low retail being right at 9K.

Thanks for looking!