Problem with 07' Lund Tyee 1750!!

fordv840

Cadet
Today I was out on my 07' Lund Tyee 1750GS for a nice cruise with my 8 year old daughter and friend of mine. Very calm water, no wind lots of boats out and about so we crossed quite a few boat wakes at about 20mph. To the issue, When I went to winch the boat on the trailer I notice that the port side hull had a huge crease in it! just forward of the windshield. This crease is about 1/2" deep about 4" wide and runs from the water line vertical to the rub rail. You can tell its a crease and not a dent. (I do body work as a side job) The boat is in mint condition with about 30 hours on it. I have used it in very rough water before with no issues. Today was pleasant. I have never hit anything with the boat nor do I power the boat on the trailer I always winch it by hand. This appears to be a structural issue with the hull itself. Who should I contact about this? My dealer? or Lund directly? Any idea how they will fix this? I have no confidence in this boat anymore. Please help!

Last edited:

Navy Jr.

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: Major Problem with 07' Lund Tyee 1750!!

Without a photo it might be difficult for someone who knows bodywork to tell if it is a crease or a dent.

The bigger issue is determining what caused the problem without getting too discouraged about the boat or Lund. I have a 1750 Fisherman and can tell you of the time as a newbie last year when I got a little cockeyed next to the starboard trailer guide and was thinking, "Oh great; I must have done a real number on the hull." But it was fine.

Both of our boats have the same thickness of aluminum on the freeboard (.080), the bottom (.100) and twin hull (.100). If I can wack my boat the way I did and get away with it, it would appear something more traumatic must have happened to yours.

Your idea of taking it to the dealer is a good one, but be prepared for bad news. Lund builds its boats using a longitudinal support system of numerous parallel I-beams throughout the boat, so it probably isn't a structural issue. I doubt seriously if the dealer would be willing to make the repair under warranty in much the same way a car dealer won't repair body damage under warranty, but it certainly is worth him taking a look at it.

You might be able to make a claim on your boat insurance policy.

No matter what, I sincerely hope you don't get discouraged with Lund. I visited the factories of three aluminum boat companies (Lund, Crestliner and Alumacraft) before deciding on which boat to buy. All are great boats, but Lund just seemed to be a step above.

Your Tyee was my dreamboat when I was shopping last year, but it was out of my league financially. Your boat can handle up to 150hp, mine 135. Yours has much nicer interior appointments while mine is more utilitarian. Both have the Sport Trac accessory system, and the famous IPS2 hull design, something other manufacturers don't.

It's a good boat, really.

ziemann

Chief Petty Officer

Hi Ford-

I saw your post on Walleye Central as well and thought that I would post here.

I have noticed minor puckers like yours on several hulls but I don't think they are quite as significant as the one you are describing. I use my 2005 Mr. Pike 17 on big water and it takes some incredible abuse. My hull is not perfect either and does have a minor wave to it in the same spots as yours. When I noticed this on mine, I started looking at other Lunds at the boat ramp. I live pretty close to New York Mills, MN where Lund is built and they are by far the most popular boat here. I have noticed this "feature" on many hulls. I have compared my hull to many others and mine is "normal" from what I have seen. Even with these puckers, my hull is the most solid of any boat I have ever been in. A half inch is significant- mine is not nearly that deep. I really think you need to post some pictures and also email them to Lund directly to get their input. Since you live so far from Minnesota, it would be a really big deal to ship your boat here for repair... Lund has incredible service- and your hull is definately under warranty.

After seeing so many Lunds here with the same pucker, I am not the least worried about my boat's integrity... They truely are the best aluminum boat on the water... 40+ year old Lunds are everywhere on the water here...

fordv840

Cadet

Hi all,
I also posted this on the WalleyCentral Message board. Below is the latest. This is my second Lund Tyee, my last one was a 95, and my 10th or so boat. I still like the Lunds but this boat still had me worried. The dealer made me feel better in the fact that he said he didn't think there was any issue using the boat until Lund could fix it. This boat is in mint condition with less than 30 hours on it, not a scratch on it and a deformed hull??? lol The dealer says it pushed out, not in, which supports my theory that the hull "gave way" from the stress of a wave or something. The dealer went over the entire bottom of the hull and found no marks,nicks,scuffs or anything. He was at a loss to explain it as I was. I will try to post some pics today. Bottom line for me is this needs to be fixed and fixed by Lund, I could never resell this boat with this flaw so I have a 30K hulk of Aluminum.

Thanks for the responses,
I took it to my local dealer today and he took some pictures to send to Lund. He was at a loss at how this could happen. He thought I hit something with the boat but after a thorough inspection could not find a mark on it. (I have never hit anything with it) He speculated that the right side console area "shifted" and pushed the hull out. I can't figure how this could happen but who knows. He took pictures to send to Lund and didn't think it would be an issue to continue to use the boat. He also stated that he could not fix it and it would have to be send back to the factory. One other thing he mentioned was that the paint job on my boat was very poor and asked if I had ever had work done to the boat. He stated that all the Lund boats he has ever seen have very nice paint and clearcoat. My paint has dirt in the lower grey part and the clear coat has a bunch of orange peel at various places. I have never had work done to the boat, so I don't know what to make of this. I bought the boat from a dealer in NY and now live in PA so I don't know what that dealer did. I bought the boat brand new. I will try to post some pictures of the damage soon. I also notified the dealer I purchased it from.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

keep us informed what lund says.

Expidia

Commander

I'm sure they will fix it as the hull has a lifetime warranty (I think).

I'd set up an appointment to have it shipped back to them at the end of the season, rather than lose the boat at the start of the season. Have them repair the bad paint job at the same time!

This way you will be good to go for next season when your boat comes back.

No way I'd send it back now, because you won't see it for 2 months. With the economy the way it is they could just close down the factory for an extended period with your boat in it.

Just my opinion!

Navy Jr.

I think the warranty on the hull covers rivets and the like, but if the problem was indeed caused by a console shifting its position within the boat, that should easily be covered by the 3-year bow-to-stern warranty.

And per Expidia, yes, I'd ask if it would be okay to wait until the end of the season as well. But I might consider taking photos of the entire boat before putting it back in the water. If something else happens between now and when you send the boat back, they might say that "something else" could have been the cause of the original problem.

The concern of using the boat this season might be this: if the console shifted its position once, it might shift again. And could the same problem exist for the console on the other side?

Last edited:

fordv840

Cadet

Thank you to everyone who responded, I have included some pictures of the damage but it is hard to see in this light. I also included a few of the boat just for the heck of it. The problem is under the "L" on the port side.

DSC04993.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04994.jpg

DSC04995.jpg

DSC04996.jpg

DSC04997-1.jpg

texcobb99

Cadet

I also have a Lund Tyee 1950. I can definitely see your crease. I have a similar one, but mine was caused by the original owners neglect. Other than that, this boat has with sood a ton of abuse. Like all the other Lund owners on here have mentioned, don't let this incident turn you against Lund.

Very nice looking boat u have. I have a 2001 and the new ones look better all the time :).

I am curious as to what Lunds\dealers reaction to your claim is. Please let us all know.

fordv840

Cadet

The dealer said he couldn't explain how it happened either but does believe me that I didn't hit anything. I don't know if you can see in the pictures but the spot with the worst "damage" is behind the rib or strake however the strake doesn't have a scratch on it and is not bent or dented. I am also not the type of person to blame others for my mistake. Had I done this I would have called my insurance company and not the dealer. Still havn't heard from Lund but the dealer is working on them. Thanks for the replies.

Expidia

Commander

The dealer said he couldn't explain how it happened either but does believe me that I didn't hit anything. I don't know if you can see in the pictures but the spot with the worst "damage" is behind the rib or strake however the strake doesn't have a scratch on it and is not bent or dented. I am also not the type of person to blame others for my mistake. Had I done this I would have called my insurance company and not the dealer. Still havn't heard from Lund but the dealer is working on them. Thanks for the replies.

I'm sure the dealer will get it worked out for you with Lund. If not you will have to get an attorney to write a letter of complaint for you. Don't threaten anyone with that yet because you will p*ss them off and that's not the way to get people to do what you want them to.

But, I just mention this so you can prepare yourself if it comes down to having to use an attorney. For $100 they can save you a lot of time and headaches by just sending Lund one letter. Most corporations don't respond very well to consumers on their own.

But Lund is reputable, your dealer probably is too. So just stay with the chain of command like you've been doing and I'm sure things will work out for you. Just don't give up the boat until the seasons end and have the dealer give you a written statement that they or Lund says it's OK to use the rig for the rest of the season.

I don't see how anyone could have caused the damage in the pictures since they are bowed out, not in! but this is a chat room and there are always two sides to every issue even with the pictures of the damage. We only ever get one side of the story!

Design defects happen in any industry, I'm sure they will rectify it.

Although I did see a thread on another site where this poster owned a new Aluminum Starcraft Islander and the paint started blistering and popping at the water line. Starcraft refused to warranty the paint because they said it was caused by electrolysis. It might have been who knows? But I'm just bringing up the attorney thing because as reputable as a company is they also have offices of attorneys paid to fight many issues rather than do the right thing and pay up for a possible defect.

A manufacturer's worst fear has to be major recalls due to design defects. If they fix a few defective rigs they can set a precedent for setting themselves up now for a major recall so they sometimes fight it instead of doing the right thing.

They could come back at you and say it was the console shifting that caused it and they are not responsible. We'd all hate to see that so be sure to report back because that would make many of us think twice about our next Lund.

If it ever does get to the point of pushing and shoving by Lund back at the dealer have them mention to Lund that you are a member of the 100,000 member iboats forum and you will be sure to post your experience on the other boating sites that you belong to on the web. Remind them that in the old days 1 unhappy consumer told 12 other people, but now with the web we can tell millions with a few keystrokes :D

So good luck and only use the tactics above if you don't get the satisfaction you are looking for. But . . . you get more flies with honey . . .

fordv840

Cadet

Thanks for the advice, hopefully it won't go that far. I don't want to trash Lund as up to now I have never had a problem with their service. Also from a description of the problem it is difficult to tell who is at fault, you really need to see the problem in person. I fish in quite a few fishing tournaments all over the northeast throughout the year and this boat gets seen by many people. I have already had to explain the "dent out" twice to people. I am keeping my comments fairly neutral at this point but...... :).

fordv840

Cadet
Update

Update

Today I was out on my 07' Lund Tyee 1750GS for a nice cruise with my 8 year old daughter and friend of mine. Very calm water, no wind lots of boats out and about so we crossed quite a few boat wakes at about 20mph. To the issue, When I went to winch the boat on the trailer I notice that the port side hull had a huge crease in it! just forward of the windshield. This crease is about 1/2" deep about 4" wide and runs from the water line vertical to the rub rail. You can tell its a crease and not a dent. (I do body work as a side job) The boat is in mint condition with about 30 hours on it. I have used it in very rough water before with no issues. Today was pleasant. I have never hit anything with the boat nor do I power the boat on the trailer I always winch it by hand. This appears to be a structural issue with the hull itself. Who should I contact about this? My dealer? or Lund directly? Any idea how they will fix this? I have no confidence in this boat anymore. Please help!

Update: Lund has asked to have the boat shipped back for inspection/repair at the end of the season. I knew I bought this boat for a reason!!!! I have never been disappointed with their service so far and this goes to show the type of company they are and that they stand behind a quality product. Also you may have noticed I changed the title of the first post and taken out the word major. I think after cooling off and some rational thought it was a bit of an overreaction. I do feel this is a very important issue as it affects the resale value of the boat however the boat does still seem structurally sound. I am fishing in NH next week and VT a few weeks after that with no concerns. Thanks to all for the support.

Last edited:

Expidia

Commander
Re: Problem with 07' Lund Tyee 1750!!

Sweet ending :D . . . best part is you don't lose the boat for the season!

Navy Jr.

Just curious, who is paying for the shipping charges? Since it is still under warranty, I'm assuming Lund, right? Or does it depend on what they determine was the cause of the problem?

Expidia

Commander

Just curious, who is paying for the shipping charges? Since it is still under warranty, I'm assuming Lund, right? Or does it depend on what they determine was the cause of the problem?

Navy Jr makes a good point here. They may fix it for you but deny that it was their defect. You may get whacked with a shipping charge to them and back.

I'd get something in writing from the dealer on what is going to take place at the end of the season in case your dealer goes out of business.

Personally, if it was my debacle . . . I'd bring that boat to another dealer or even a body shop for their opinion in writing that the issue appears to be a manufacturing defect before you send that boat back to Lund. I'm telling you they don't like recalls and will do what ever they have to in order to avoid it. Which might mean they will fix it but admit to nothing and then who is going to pay the shipping both ways. I think it should be your dealers problem and he will get reimbursed by Lund.

fordv840

Cadet

Navy Jr makes a good point here. They may fix it for you but deny that it was their defect. You may get whacked with a shipping charge to them and back.

I'd get something in writing from the dealer on what is going to take place at the end of the season in case your dealer goes out of business.

Personally, if it was my debacle . . . I'd bring that boat to another dealer or even a body shop for their opinion in writing that the issue appears to be a manufacturing defect before you send that boat back to Lund. I'm telling you they don't like recalls and will do what ever they have to in order to avoid it. Which might mean they will fix it but admit to nothing and then who is going to pay the shipping both ways. I think it should be your dealers problem and he will get reimbursed by Lund.

All good points, from my understanding Lund is paying the shipping but I will certainly get something in writing. Also my dealer is pretty small, I don't think they are set up for this kind of work.

texcobb99

Cadet

Ford,

Glad it's all working out, or appears to be. I think Lund will take care of you. Keep us up to date if you run into any difficulty. They know word of mouth is what sells these boats.

gmsts

Recruit

I have problems with my 1750 tyee (2008). First the livewell had holes in it. Yep, drill holes from the manufacturing process. I got that replaced. But not fixed. They crossthreaded the drain pipe and it leaks from there. I tried sealing it, but that didn't completely stop it. Gotta send it back for that. Then I realixzed it was leaking when I didn't use the live well. After looking around and checking tubes and hoses etc, I finally filled the boat with water to see if anything leaked out. Sure enough on of the rivets in the HULL was put in at an angle and that leaks. There is also water dripping from the keel! The leaky rivot might be causing the keel to drip, but maybe there are other leaks. Or am I going to find other problems too? I live 180 mile from the dealer and getting it fixed means weeks without the boat. This whole experience has been a nightmare. They all say we'll fix it, but now with everyone taking it apart time and again it feels like a used piece of junk. What do you think the chances are that they'll take my boat back and give me one that works?