My boat fell off the trailer on the interstate!

Expidia

Commander
Re: My boat fell off the trailer on the interstate!

This is why I immediately switch lanes when ever someone gets in front of me carrying something like a Kayak, Bicycle, ladder, luggage rack etc or trailering a boat.

You are putting your life and your passengers life at risk from those objects breaking free and coming through your windshield.

I'm not going to risk my life because some guy who uses his rusted out boat and trailer a few times a season and I should trust that he's renewed his straps at some point over the last few years. Many times when they drive by you they don't even have a clip, lock or bolt locking the tongue to the ball (which is illegal in NY without one). Or even remembered to plug their trailer lights in. Worse is on the way home, after they've been drinking all day. Think they can remember to make sure their rig is secure.

Worse is the bike or Kayak racks that some girl or kid straps on their roof using cheap chinese walmart hold down straps.

It's scary out here on the highway :eek:

For those of us who trailer (and even those who are just driving in their cars to their boat in a marina) to the lake, be sure to drive totally defensively out there when someone pulls in front of you with stuff on their vehicles or in tow . . . don't depend on them to know the proper way to secure the stuff and maybe live to see another day of boating :)

Yep, switch lanes as soon as you can!

waterinthefuel

Commander

Something similiar to this happened once with me and my father.

We were going ride our 4 wheelers at an old army base. We got about a mile from the house, got on a bridge and felt a thump. I look in the side view mirror and the trailer, with my 4 wheeler in it, is sliding across the road and going into a ditch! My dad had hooked up the trailer, but it didn't grab the ball, it was just sitting on top of it. With lock still on, it went into the ditch. It had two safety chains, but they were too small and just snapped immediatly when the tongue hit the road. The guy behind us, ironically pulling a boat, had a strap that we used to pull the trailer and 4 wheeler out of the ditch. My father is always so careful about stuff like this, for it to happen to him, wow. Thank goodness we were only doing about 30-35 at the time. If we would have made it out to the interstate doing 70, we wouldn't have a trailer or 4 wheeler left.

As it was, the 4 wheeler, being strapped down very tightly, only moved slightly when the trailer went into the ditch and thus it scratched my rim just a tad. A little silver paint and we were good to go.​

Expidia

Commander

I trust my wench, but I would probably be missing a certain part of my anatomy if I were ever to call her that!

That said, the ones you really have to look out for are the power wenches!

;)

Hahahaha, I caught that in his original post. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that a "wench" is someone who brings over your beer and a "winch" is something that cranks your boat up to the post.

Hey, "Winch" bring me another beer . . . Pronto :D

Tim Frank

Vice Admiral

Hahahaha, I caught that in his original post. I didn't have the heart to point out to him that a "wench" is someone who brings over your beer and a "winch" is something that cranks your boat up to the post.

Hey, "Winch" bring me another beer . . . Pronto :D

The OP appeared to be well aware of the difference, if you read his post.
There are a number of places that I have lived where a wench is, in fact, the item that cranks your boat....no matter what Oxford or Websters might claim....:)
The easy solution is just to combine the terms....hence a "winch wench"
http://www.seafaring.com/store/product.php?productid=843

Expidia

Commander

The OP appeared to be well aware of the difference, if you read his post.
There are a number of places that I have lived where a wench is, in fact, the item that cranks your boat....no matter what Oxford or Websters might claim....:)
The easy solution is just to combine the terms....hence a "winch wench"
http://www.seafaring.com/store/product.php?productid=843

You're right, it's not in the dictionary. All it says for Wench is:

A young woman or girl, especially a peasant girl.
A woman servant.
A wanton woman.
intr.v., wenched, wench?ing, wench?es.
To consort or engage in sex with wanton women. Used of a man.

[Middle English, short for wenchel, child, from Old English wencel.]

Maybe you're confusing it with what we call here down under a "Wrench"
That's something we use to turn a nut.

Like in "Hey Wench, bring me that Wrench, so I can tighten that nut on the Winch . . . And bring me another beer on your way over" . . . Pronto :D

See now you've got me all "wenched" over laughing :)

What do they mean in the description above . . . with "wanton" women?
I thought wanton was an ingredient in Chinese soup :confused:

Look what I might have been missing out on all of this time . . . Go Figure!

skargo

Banned

A wench does NOT equal a winch, anywhere, except where the person using it wrong doesn't know any better. Just like people from Baltimore thinking that warshing their dishes in the zinc is correct. :D

TWFisher

Seaman

Ya, ya, ya.........winch, wench, wrench............;)I spelled it right in a later post......I cant get this @#$@ spell check to down load..................:redface:

TWFisher

Seaman

Yep...and in the original post as well. ?

David Greer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Deck winch. Don't switch the vowels or it's a whole 'nuther thing as we say.

skargo

Banned

It doesn't bother me in any way, seeing or hearing it called wench. Hell, I call it the windy up cable holder thingamabob, so it's all good.

:D

Try firefox, it has a neat auto spell checker.

Expidia

Commander

It doesn't bother me in any way, seeing or hearing it called wench. Hell, I call it the windy up cable holder thingamabob, so it's all good.

:D

Try firefox, it has a neat auto spell checker.

Or just download the free google toolbar. Comes with a great free spell checker!

skargo

Banned

Or just download the free google toolbar. Comes with a great free spell checker!

No thanks, no need to clutter my screen, AND system resources when Firefox has a streamlined spellchecker in their superior browser. I've used FF for years, and don't even use IE anymore, at all. ;)

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Wenches, winches, wrenches, toolbars, spellcheckers .... whew! This is all so confusing.

Well, if y'all will scuse me, Ima run down to da Pig-ly Wig-ly and make sum groceries for a po boy, cause no one doesn't know I'm home an I can eat in peace, cha. After dat, Ima change da earl in my car an den Ima call Clotilde an see who she's pregnant for. Hope it ain't me!

axeslinger1957

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wenches, winches, wrenches, toolbars, spellcheckers .... whew! This is all so confusing.

Well, if y'all will scuse me, Ima run down to da Pig-ly Wig-ly and make sum groceries for a po boy, cause no one doesn't know I'm home an I can eat in peace, cha. After dat, Ima change da earl in my car an den Ima call Clotilde an see who she's pregnant for. Hope it ain't me!

Y'all gon' have some jambalaya or gumbo wit' dat po boy, Jay?

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

How 'bout not even bothering with the spell checker?

A) It wouldn't have caught it anyways (wench is a word after all).
B) How else would we end up with threads that end up turning comical aside from the stupid human trick? :p

TWFisher

Seaman

How 'bout not even bothering with the spell checker?

A) It wouldn't have caught it anyways (wench is a word after all). :p

I was gona mention that but I didn't wana drag out the embarrassment:redface:

You know, a smart person once told me, "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". But I never listen...... :)

TWFisher

Seaman

Glad you have learned from yuor mistakes. Howevever since you appear to drive the same roads as I do, can you please describe your boat and tow vejicle, so i can give a lttle extra room!

Don't worry you'll know me when you see me heading down to bucks bait shop before hitting the bay. I'm the one pulling the ugly boat with three big orange straps hang off, four if you count the one holding the motor secure to the transom saver since my trim cyl started leaking, and I'll be in the slow lane coming down the causeway. Can't miss me!

SuzukiChopper

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I was gona mention that but I didn't wana drag out the embarrassment:redface:

You know, a smart person once told me, "It's better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt". But I never listen...... :)

I think all of us have made the same mistake once or twice so there should be no embarrassment ;) (I know I have, and in formal documents yet).

As long as you can laugh at the humor that follows, there's no way you can be a fool.

TWFisher

Seaman

No worries.

I knew y'all were going to have fun with this post.

I have some more super stupid human tricks I've pulled that are easy to pick apart, but I'll save them for another day.