just used Joe Reeves timing advance method

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just used J. Reeves timing method. Seemed easy enough. The question I have is now that it is se at 4 deg. below spec. The timing Base has a total movement of about a inch. Does this seem right.

I went out on the water today to test the timing with the other method that I had used, didn't seem right, so I came back in. The engine had a vibration that I could feel throughout the boat. The Service manual for my engine says .040 on the sparkplug gap, changed them before I went out from .030. I have since changed them back.

When I did the Reeves method, it showed the timing to be to much advanced by 6 deg.

When I adjusted using his method, I just about ran out of screw.

Please tell me if the timer base should be moving more.

What is causing the vibration.

I have a 1977 70 hp Johnson, all new ignition system, good spark, excellent compression, and the prop is good. What is happening.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: just used Joe Reeves timing advance method

does anyone have any input here?

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

It could be.....

The additional advance is from the advance added by the warm up (whatever OMC calls it) feature of the power pack. The pack advances the timing 10 degrees when the engine is cold. You need to disable the warm feature then set the timing -6 degrees.

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

his pack,...does not have 'quick-start'...i would say,u may have timer base mounted wrong....if that is a poss ,on some,it was,.. a possibility...

jwbmarine

Seaman Apprentice

what method,are u using to ck timing,that u mention,..many shops use joes method for years after an overhaul,or major component repl,but,a hs run at 5000 rpm is advised,...by most any way,to get the actual,hs timing set.

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Timing is the one area of a two stoke CD ignition that rarely needs attention and should not be done unless you are 100% confident of your ability.

At this point, you would be well advised to have the timing set by a service department.If you don't get it right, you will destroy your engine.

Cricket Too

Lieutenant Commander

That would be Quickstart, but it wasn't on any 1977 models.

rsimmons, are you saying that you had a vibration using the other method or Joe Reeves method?

I'm sure he'll chime in soon enough, seeing as his name is in the title.

Oops phone rang in the middle of writing that, looks like they beat me to it.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

guys thanks for all the info. I do have all new ignition components. The timer base had gone bad, so I went ahead and replaced everything. The stator, the timing base, the power pack and the (3) coils. All were original except for the coils. They are all CDI gear.

The vibration was from the trailer method, I have not been down to the lake this morning yet. It just seems like I should not be running out of screw to set the upper timing and I don,t think that the timing base should only be moving around 1". It used to move way more than that.

There is only one way to mount that timer base.

What would you all do.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I plan on going out on the lake with my wife. Set in and warm up the engine, idle out and take off the cowl. Hook up the timing light and have her slowly take us up to speed, and check the timing. I can easily see the timing marks while under way. This way I can insure that it is right.

Do you concure that this method would, insure I have it set right.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Did I lose everyone? Any advice would be appreciated.

THanks

daselbee

Commander

I don't know why you are losing or are "way out" on all the adjustment screw travel, but I do know this...I set my static timing using Joe Reeves' method, and my OMC shop sets the timing in the same manner.
Then I do exactly as you are suggesting. I get it in the water, run up to 5000 rpm hanging off the back with a timing light, and make any small adjustments.
Stop the engine, make the screw adjustments, and run it up again, checking with the timing light.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

does everyone concure that it would be OK for me to get to the water to make the adjustments.

I just don't want to mess up a good engine. I figure if I am going there to make the adjustments and not to ride around, I would be fine.

rusirius

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AFAIK the only way you would risk any damange is letting the timing advance BEYOND the recommended... Do that and you could have serious trouble...

As for only having 1" of movement on the plate.. I dunno but that definately sounds like something is wrong... I wish I could help more...

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks,

Ok what I will do is go down to the ramp and leave it on the trailer and try and tune it from there again, this time just submerging the foot, in order to give me the rpm I need. I hope it works. I am using a inductive timing light, does this make a difference?

daselbee

Commander

I hope you don't push it off the trailer...
I was referring to doing it under way with a second person driving....not still attached to the trailer.

Joe Reeves

Supreme Mariner

You won't be able to obtain the proper full throttle rpm needed by simply backing the engine into the water. The boat must be moving forward in order to obtain those rpms.

I can't imagine what you are encountering to have a problem in the manner I've devised of setting the timing as that 1977 model should be a snap.

Did you by any chance (viberation) hook the spark plug wires up incorrectly?

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks Joe for the reply,

I removed all three spark plugs, hooked up a spark tester to #1 gaped to 7/16" and hooked the timing light up to #1, Made a mark on the flyweek at 13deg, since the upper timing is 17deg. With white paint to make it easy to see. I had the wife crank the engine while I used the timing light. when I first started the timing showed to be 6 deg. high. I started working it down, I ended up at 13deg. with only about a 1' movement on the timing base and 3 threads left on the upper advance screw.

Joe,

Can you tell me please if I did something wrong.

Thanks

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

do I need to ground the other two plugs, or hook them up to more spark testers?

Maybe this is my problem.

If so I am sorry.

Please advise

daselbee

Commander

You have to have the throttle positioned at WOT while she is cranking. I don't see where you say you did that.

rsimmons42

Petty Officer 2nd Class

sorry, ment to put that in there. I have the throttle lever at wot. made sure the timing base is hitting the screw