Curious, how much porpoising?

jokaj

Seaman
how much porpoising do you cruise with? If I cruise on a calm day, i can trim up 4-5 clicks. At four, the ride is smooth, at five, the ride has a very slight porpoise. The kids up front have fun with the up and down movement at the bow :D. Soooo here are some questions,

is it safe to cruise with a slight porpoise?
will the my hull eventually be compromised? The boat doesn't slam into the water and it has a deep-V hull.

I find that with each trim click up at plane, i can get about an additional 2mph, so the 5 clicks up actually saves me on gas too.....:p

Thanks

joe

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Re: Curious, how much porpoising?

The amount you are saving on gas at anything around 3/4 throttle or more is a drop in the bucket. Porpoising is also fooling you about speed. Each time the bow rises a bit, you pick a tad of speed. Each time it drops, it looses a bit. Steady on-plane with no porpoising is the best way to run but you can operate the boat however you like. However hitting a wave or another wake at an angle while porpoising can pitch someone out of the boat if you are not paying attention at the time. At speed, safety should always be #1 priority. I would be more concerned about the kids safety than about whether or not it will damage the boat.

ebry710

Ensign

"Running the chop" for kids is usually what you make it. I always become animated when running a safe chop on a lake. The kids love it. Just the feeling of a bumpy ride is enough.

Jumping waves I usually do with teenagers and with everyone in vests. Going airborne is a bonus, but does have its risks of hitting off center or not seeing that obstacle.

jokaj

Seaman

The amount you are saving on gas at anything around 3/4 throttle or more is a drop in the bucket. Porpoising is also fooling you about speed. Each time the bow rises a bit, you pick a tad of speed. Each time it drops, it looses a bit. Steady on-plane with no porpoising is the best way to run but you can operate the boat however you like. However hitting a wave or another wake at an angle while porpoising can pitch someone out of the boat if you are not paying attention at the time. At speed, safety should always be #1 priority. I would be more concerned about the kids safety than about whether or not it will damage the boat.

Thanks for your comments, my kids all have vests on and the porpoising is very minor.

joe

jokaj

Seaman

"Running the chop" for kids is usually what you make it. I always become animated when running a safe chop on a lake. The kids love it. Just the feeling of a bumpy ride is enough.

Jumping waves I usually do with teenagers and with everyone in vests. Going airborne is a bonus, but does have its risks of hitting off center or not seeing that obstacle.

Very nice, but, I won't be going as far as airborne :eek:. The kids just like the feeling of bumpy ride :rolleyes: Thanks

joe

ebry710

Ensign

You can't beat "running the chop" with kids.