Bow Ladder ???

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Greetings Boaters:

This weekend we beached the Maxum for the first time. Our son loved playing on the beach and the weather was perfect. Of course, getting back on the boat via the bow was VERY difficult. The water was a bit too cold to jump in and enter from the swim platform. I would really appreciate any recommendations for bow ladders. A guy at the marina said the scisor type (folding ladders) were outlawed due to people losing fingers in them...?

Thanks!

haulnazz15

Captain
Re: Bow Ladder ???

Wait for warmer weather? They do have telescoping ladders, but I still wouldn't bother with it. You could always turn the stern of the boat toward the shore (I'd think you'd have it anchored that way anyhow) and enter from the back. Just make sure to shove out into deeper water to start her up.

mphy98

Lieutenant

one word...... wimp :D given in the most respectful way :D

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ha, maybe so on both accounts. But the wife and friends still like to camp, even in our fridig Nevada winters :D

Come on, some one out there must have tried a bow ladder...??? :confused:

bekosh

Lieutenant

Search on Ebay for Wesbar Stowaway ladders. They don't come up very often and they aren't cheap, but they are really awesome. Mine is a 5 step and was about $200. For stowage, I either fold it up and tie it to the bow rail or pull the mounting pins and store it under my sunpad. It's about 12"x12"x7" folded up.
NippleBeach9-1-07001.jpg

Edit: There is a 5-step Wesbar currently on Ebay.( http://tinyurl.com/dgvta2 )
It has gunwale hooks but all you would need to do is remove the hooks & stand off bar and mount with regular ladder brackets and quick release pins.

Edit2: I just realized you have a 27ft boat. If that's a taller cruiser, you would probably want a 7 step version of what I have. Those are even more rare and expensive. The last 7 step that I saw on Ebay went for more than $600.

Utahboatnut

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Or if you didn't want to spend the big $$ you could try one of thos hook ladders that go over the side it would probably work fine on the bow rail if you put it close to a support tube. Kind of hokey but it would work my dad had a 27' when I was growing up and he used one off the side of the bow rail it worked fine and would fold flat when not in use.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Search on Ebay for Wesbar Stowaway ladders. They don't come up very often and they aren't cheap, but they are really awesome. Mine is a 5 step and was about $200. For stowage, I either fold it up and tie it to the bow rail or pull the mounting pins and store it under my sunpad. It's about 12"x12"x7" folded up.
NippleBeach9-1-07001.jpg

Edit: There is a 5-step Wesbar currently on Ebay.( http://tinyurl.com/dgvta2 )
It has gunwale hooks but all you would need to do is remove the hooks & stand off bar and mount with regular ladder brackets and quick release pins.

Edit2: I just realized you have a 27ft boat. If that's a taller cruiser, you would probably want a 7 step version of what I have. Those are even more rare and expensive. The last 7 step that I saw on Ebay went for more than $600.

wow. no shortcuts there, thats the real deal. That thing is sweet, i've never seen one like that before.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

How about those rope ladders with the plastic treads? Add two cleats (or maybe two eye bolts) about 12-18" apart and you could tie it on. It would hang straight into the water, but it would work and cost a lot less than than the folding stair case.

I would be very leary of hanging anything off the bow rail. I don't believe they are intended to support the weight of someone climbing into the boat. But that's just me.

Got to admit those folding stairs are neat. My concern is when the wind pushes the boat around to the port side. Does the stair fold or bend?

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

Not that this helps your situation, but one of the main reasons we have a deckboat is the bow ladder. Great for beaching and swimming.

bekosh

Lieutenant

wow. no shortcuts there, thats the real deal. That thing is sweet, i've never seen one like that before.
We only use it 2-3 times a year but I thinks it's worth every dime. As useful and as sought after as they are, I'm suprised the company stopped making them. I keep hearing rumors online that someone in Minneapolis MN bought the copyrights and is going to start making them again, but nothing ever seems to come of it.

How about those rope ladders with the plastic treads? Add two cleats (or maybe two eye bolts) about 12-18" apart and you could tie it on. It would hang straight into the water, but it would work and cost a lot less than than the folding stair case.
The problem with the rope ladder is that they will swing under the bow when you go to climb up. So you are hanging over backward as you climb up.

Got to admit those folding stairs are neat. My concern is when the wind pushes the boat around to the port side. Does the stair fold or bend?
I've never had the boat swing around on me, but it is a real sheltered beach. The ladder is pretty flexible so I don't think it's a real problem if you keep an eye on it. Or if you can't, just fold it up against the bow rail. We do that at night, mainly to make sure an inquisitive raccoon doesn't decide to explore the boat.

Not that this helps your situation, but one of the main reasons we have a deckboat is the bow ladder. Great for beaching and swimming.
We saw the bow ladders on the deckboats at the boat show last year, and that's what started us looking for one.

Doc_Vegas

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Hey guys, just an update. I ended up getting a 7-step ladder from eBay. Maybe it is the copyright buyer, since he claims it is brand new and has sold a few others based on feedback. Buy it now for $399 (OUCH), but it seems perfect.

That said, I beached it at the same spot this weekend with a more experienced boater on board. We managed to get the boat parallel with the shore so it was possible to get on/off with the swim platform...

Oh well, the ladder is on the way! Will post pics when it arrives.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Looks like the Bow ladder would be the Cats Meow and sell like Hot Cakes because getting on and off the bow of a beached boat is a real challenge. Even impossible for some especially as we get older. I often have to pick passengers up at the Boat Launch Dock because they cannot climb into the boat from the beach. Turning the stern toward shore is impossible without wading 50 yards on most inland lakes.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

HHMMMM....my first thought would be a type of "boarding plank". Depending on how fancy or plain you would like it to be...it could be just a 6ft long piece of wood, 12 inches wide, and 2 inches thick...I would put something on the "top" side to provide traction, probably some wood strips attached perpendicular to the board. I would lay it on top of the gunnel with a line attached to a cleat. I would attach it to the boat via the bow rail (maybe, depending on the boat). It could also be used as a fender board, if you need one....just a thought...

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

I want one of these.

Oh and the boat that's attached too.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

cbavier

Lieutenant

Can you make the picture bigger so we can see the details? I sure can't tell much by that size. Getting old and eye's are going south like everything else.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Sorry I only have that shot real small.

Here is two more, I hope they come up better.

They are Bluewater yachts http://www.bluewateryacht.com/

They design them for beaching and skinny water 24" draft.

I've been shopping for a used one for a while but so far the right deal hasn't come along.

I doubt you can just buy a ladder from them but it's interesting how they designed it.

Attachments

• 7000Beached.jpg
    7000Beached.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 0
  • 1623198_2.jpg
    1623198_2.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Here's the one shot not cropped.

Attachments

• 7000Beach.jpg
    7000Beach.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 0

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yea I went to the Web Site seems like all they want to do is sell beautifuul boats. Thanks for trying. My draft is 32 inches