what size smart tabs SX?

targetpanic

Seaman
I have a 16' side console Sylvan Expedition. This is a wide deep-V and heavy boat that is used almost exclusively for trolling. It has a 25hp 4-stroke Merc on it (largest allowed due to hp restrictions). THe motor is mounted as high as it can go, but I can't get the nose down and back end up even when trimmed all the way down. The motor max rpm is 5500, I can get to 51 or 5200 at WOT but it is the shallowest pitch prop they make. I want to get a little bit more out of the boat for top end speed and was considering smart tabs or a hydrofoil
Does anyone have any suggestions as to which would be better, a hydrofoil or tabs???
And with the smart tabs what size should I be looking at??? I looked at the chart and for my size boat it lists bigger motors???
Do you think I will gain anything in this situation with the tabs????

southtexas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: what size smart tabs SX?

Regarding tabs, I had the same question as my boat is "in between" the listings. So I went to the source and emailed Nauticus; they responded same day.

I have the Smart Tabs and love them. I have a 19' Nautic Star Offshore with Yahama F150 which was porposing bad (the weight of the 150 four stroker on the stern)... First the motor was lifted one notch, then we put a shim about 1/2" at the top. These helped but I still had to keep the motor about 3/4 to 5/8 trimmed under, and could never run it at the 1/2 mark without porposing.

I eventually put Smart Tabs on and I'm very happy with them. One advantage of the Smart Tabs is the lift created by hydrofoil still depends on the trim angle of the engine. With the Smart Tabs, the lift is independent of the engine's trim.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Nauticus, customer service is as good as iboats, they know their business, and will help you all the way. they want 100% satisfaction. give them a call or email.

targetpanic

Seaman

Thanks guys.
I sent Nauticus an email. Hopefully I hear back from them soon. I really like the looks of this product and think it would help my boat out, but I'll wait to hear from the experts.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

iboats has Blemised tabs on sale for $99.00 as long as they last.

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have a 2000 lb I/O, loaded. I had 60 lb SX tabs reccommended, but should have used 40 lb. Most 18 ft. bowrider owners I know used changed their 60's for 40's (Nauticus swapped their actuators for free, whether they were bought from them directly or not). That said, looks like you would be in line for the 30 lb SX, and if you troll alot, get the Pro Troller option. You can lock the Tab down and they become Trolling Brakes.

Best modification for the money. IMO. Easy to install too.

targetpanic

Seaman

I sent 2 emails to Nauticus last week but have not heard back from them. I got 1 reccomendation for the 30 size from this thread. DOes anyone else have a size reccomendation for the boat??
I took the boat out on Friday. by myself it gets on plane and does 19.5mph while turning at max RPM for the motor. If I put 1 other person in the boat it drops to 9mph and doesn't even think about getting on plane.