Don't Press Your Luck

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
That's the slogan for North Carolina's new highway safety initiative. Also, know as Operation Leave Room For Trucks. This is a mission of the FMCSA, it has been piloted in several other states and is now in NC.

WA-leave-space.jpg

A great idea in my mind, since I drive one of these everyday I would sure like the police to nab the guy who comes across 3 lanes of traffic cuts me off and slams on his brakes to make a turn. Gee thanks, dude, I really enjoyed having the living S!@% scared out of me.

It really ticks me off the way people drive around these trucks. For some reason people have the mentality that they have to hurry and get in front of the truck. What's the big hurry? I know we are slow getting going but, if your 4 cylinder gas automobile had 50,000 pounds on it's back I doubt it would even start to move much less stop. It absolutely amazes me that more crashes don't happen. Just last week I was on a 4 lane divided highway in town I was in the left lane and had a car off to my right about 50 feet in front of me. I'm cruising at 60 when all of a sudden out of the blue this little red car comes and whips right in the gap between us. When I actually saw this car her drivers door was right in front of my right front tire(385/65/22.5) Just as she cleared the truck (we are talking inches here) she turns her head a little left and flips her hair over her shoulder and throws her hand up. Man, what nerve.

Did you know?

Aggressive driving is a major cause of collisions between cars and trucks, resulting in thousands of deaths and injuries each year?

Cars are responsible for 2/3 of all collisions between cars and trucks?

Big trucks need big space to maneuver and stop in emergencies?

Aggressive drivers who cut off trucks will get ticketed? That will cost you a lot of green.

You should, when passing a truck, allow at least one car length for every 10 miles per hour of speed before merging?

For safety's sake, leave more space for trucks.

Help save lives and reduce injuries.

Always drive safely.

TC

mlukich

Seaman Apprentice
Re: Don't Press Your Luck

While I agree that car drivers need to be more aware of the manuvering limitations of the big trucks, I have to play the devils advocate and add my two cents... and no, I'm not trying to start any arguement or what not... Just feel the other side needs to be heard as well...

One of my pet peeves is when I'm driving down the road and a big rig comes up on my tail with about a 10 to 20 mph closing rate - and doesn't slow down until he's about 2 feet off my bumper... at 60 ro 70 mph... I drive a Mini Cooper and trust me, I KNOW what will happen if we bump... What gets me is that I was in that lane all the time, and he HAD to have seen me... My only guess is that he is trying to intimidate me into getting out of his way... For my part, it usually doesn't work - if anything, I slow down even more (be it a big rig or a tailgating auto...)

Again, not trying to start arguements - just want to point out that there is room for improvement EVERYWHERE...

Mark

As of now most of the truckers are true pros and very safe to be around. They will be fired very quickly if they mess up. True story was when this smaller type car passed a big rigg one night on a long section of road in the midwest . The car would pass the truck and then slow down to about 20 mph slower than the truck. The truck would pass and pick up road speed only to be passed agin and the same thing happin.When the small car did it the third time the truck driver put into high gear and pushed the car for about a mile at speeds close to 100mph and then slowed and let the car go.....A lesson learned for screwing with a trucker.

mlukich

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't dream of messing with a trucker like that... but with that said, if I'm in the middle lane passing other traffic (by maybe 5 mph or more) and the trucker closes on me (quickly) and then stays less than 10 feet off my bumper in an attempt to get me to move over, I'm sorry, but he is in the wrong... I have as much right to the passing lane as he does and he saw me there long before he decided to ride up on me... Of course, this applies to all drivers, not just truckers but it seems to happen more often with the big rigs. Now if they ease up on me and keep a safe distance, I wll gladly move over when safe and let them pass... it's called common courtesy and respect and it should be shown by ALL drivers...

Again, I wasn't trying to start arguement or what not - just a pet peeve of mine that I felt had to be said...

Drive safe and have a good one.

Mark

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I always try to give these guys as much courtesy as possible, I'm the guy that will slow down and flash my lights for him when I see he wants to pass an even bigger and slower rig than he's hauling..Actually drove a Peterbuilt as a young guy..maybe 13..My dad let me drive around his friends yard..

What gets me though is late at night on Hwy 75 South down here between Tampa and Ft. Myers..You have rigs doing 90 plus...Right on you..Within 100 feet or so and you had better get outta their way....

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I guess I'll throw my two cents in as someone who has been a 4-wheeler much longer than a "big truck" driver.

Yes, it is true that there are some real morons driving trucks. Some of them do very stupid and very dangerous things. I have an answer for those guys - I will get out of their way, let them pass and will then get the name of the company that either owns the truck, or is who the O/O (owner operator) is leased out to. With that info and a tractor number, trailer number or license plate number, I will make sure that someone gets an earfull.

OK, so that's one side of it. The other side is that rude drivers are a minority portion of the total population of truck drivers, in my opinion. On the other hand, when it comes to behavior around big trucks, rude 4-wheelers are pretty much the norm. I'm sure that some here will disagree, but take my word for it, all you have to do to find out just how true this is, is to get behind the wheel of a vehicle that weighs somewhere between 26,001 and 80,000 pounds (or more) for a few days. You will be cut off, prevented from making the wide turns that you need to make, cursed at, honked at, presented the "one finger salute," maneuvered around in an agressive and unsafe manner, and a lot more. What's more, all of this will come from everything from some dopey teenager, to some little old lady that should be doting on a great-grandchild, not being an obnoxious jerk.

The one thing that I wish everyone who drives an automobile would remember, is that essentially every single thing that we possess, use or eat, arrived in a truck. From the underwear on our butts, to the food we eat, to the medical equipment that keeps us healty, to the roofs over our heads, without trucks, it doesn't get "there."

Its been a long time since I've driven anything with more than five gears in it, but I sure haven't forgotten what a PITA 4-wheelers can be at times.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I think of it this way.. I do anything a trucker asks of me, I flash my lights when they pass or try to move over, I move over when they need to get by (or speed up until they are happy) and happily give them plenty of stopping distance. I do all of this because I do not want to be a trucker, so giving them a reason to quit just makes the prices of, well, everything go up and hurts me in the end.

I hear it is easy to become a trucker, but not easy being a trucker. Cheers to you, Mr Trucker, for doing what I won't.

PS- I show the same courtesy to janitors, groundskeepers, factory workers and just about anyone who does a job I would never want. It's my way of saying 'Thank you' on a massive scale.

Vlad D Impeller

Commander

I once saw a movie with Dennis Weaver a few years ago; around the mid 70's i believe it was, since that time i have kept well away from all trucks if i'm on the road.
Life all too often have the habit of immitating art.
I am certainly not advocating that all truckers are psychos, since my limited experience with truckers have proven to be unlike that which was portrayed in the film.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

I once saw a movie with Dennis Weaver a few years ago; around the mid 70's i believe it was, since that time i have kept well away from all trucks if i'm on the road.
Life all too often have the habit of immitating art.
I am certainly not advocating that all truckers are psychos, since my limited experience with truckers have proven to be unlike that which was portrayed in the film.

Yep..remember that as a kid.."Duel" came out in 71.
Just looked it up cuz the name escaped me...Directed by some guy named Steven Spielberg? Never heard of him..lol

timdan94

Chief Petty Officer

You can't only blame the cars I have been cut off by as many trucks on interstate 80 in pa as cars. Half the time they either don't look or don't give a $h!t because they are bigger. I also agree that they don't need to get up your bumper like they do. You do that to me and I let you get in head of me then I follow and watch how you are driving if you keep doing it I call the cops then I also call whoever you work for when I get off the highway and give them an earful. I also see many cars cutting trucks off but the truckers are just as bad.

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

I agree whole heartedly w/ lowkee's last post. But I used to supervise a steel service center andtruckers were our life's blood they picked up and delivered everything but I also believe that the guidelines should be a lot tighter for whom they let drive these rigs some of these people (men & women) are seriously deranged and should be strapped into something else than a drivers seat of a 80,000lbs, rig I could imagine what there thought process is on the road after 8 to 10 hrs,. But thats why as a motorist in general you always have to look out for the other guy period!

bowman316

Lieutenant Commander

The bottom line is people in cars are always in a hurry, and when they see a slow truck in their way, they just want to get around them so they don't slow them down.

I always wondered why there were so many trucks gridlocked in rush hour traffic, I would drive at night, when the roads are not clogged.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer

Wow, thanks for all your responses to my venting. Let me try to sum a few things up from a truckers standpoint. First, let me qualify myself, I have been a trucker for the last 12 years, I've hauled everything you can think of (well almost) includes lots of stuff you get at the supermarket (6 years coast to coast pulling a reefer) Anything you got from Dollar General or Family Dollar or Dollar Tree (a couple years hand unloading a dry box) Steel and lumber on a flatbed...you get the point I've been around and got a ton of miles under my belt. I've driven through all but 5 of the lower 48 states. After all of this I have been involved in ONE crash. (my fault, I admit it, I was too sleepy and overloaded)

The way I see it from the cab of that truck is like this....I drive so that those around me can enjoy the things they have, I drive for many hours at a time, I drive through all types of weather. I drive safely and am very professional. I do not make sudden lane changes (unless it is an emergency) I try hard not to tailgate, I try hard to keep slowing down when a 4 wheeler cuts my following distance, I do not want to kill anyone with my truck, myself included.

The biggest problem I see on the road everyday is the hurry people are in. Ask yourself this. What did you accomplish by hurrying past a truck just to get to the stop light a nanosecond before I do? Certainly, you got in front of me and you will take off faster than I do. But, didn't I get to the next light right behind you? What did you gain? What did you risk? To me the risk vs. reward is too great to try and pass that truck just to stop. Interstate driving is a bit different.

I agree with all of you, some of the folks driving these trucks are blame idiots. But, knowing that would a person with common sense not exercise more caution and not so much haste? I know I would.

To those of you who flash me over Thank you, but next time it is night time and you want to help don't flash your hi beams at me, rather dim your headlights out. Why? well think of me in that truck, I am passing you and looking to my mirror to see that I can safely get in front of you and all of a sudden I get full on hi beam headlights in my eyes, my night vision is destroyed for a few seconds. By dimming your lights I can still see the marker lights and I know that you are trying to help me. I will show you my appreciation by making my trailer lights dance for you.

Kev, you are right trucks in Fl absolutely FLY. I know I am guilty as well. I remember coming up from Miami to Tampa, my truck could do 98 on the pedal and 100 on the cruise. I had the cruise maxed out and was still being passed by not only 4 wheelers, but other trucks as well. That was my last trip to Fl in a truck. Never Again!!!

well, I guess I am done venting for now. I am sure some more of you have opinions and I welcome them all.

TC

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i have friends who drive big rigs.....and i have driven dump trucks for a company i worked for for a while back......it was a smaller truck and didnt have air brakes but it was still big and cumbersome.

that being said it is one of my biggest peeves is trucks moving 1-2mph faster than the next truck and try to pass the slower truck............in about 2 mile distance..if your lucky.

i do all the courteous stuff necessary when im the slower or faster vehicle.....usually the faster :D:D...but im as safe as possible...no crowding.

and i tell you another thing that people should be ticketed for is driving beside a big rig so your kids can watch the big wheels turn.................these parents should be shown video on how dangerous big tires can be if they come off or blow out.

even the trucks who crawl past each other still have my respect.....after all how many people drive all day everyday???......

me and the family went to visit her mom and grandma in wv and it was a killer on my back....not to mention 3 kids in the back seat :eek::eek:..........

hats off to all the truckers.

p.s. if you travel i-40 a lot and you get passed by a black ex-cab 2000 chevy near the ok/ark border...its probaly me...just look for the i-boats sticker......well in a couple of more days i have it on there anyways...if yall see me give me a honk!

mscher

Lieutenant

that being said it is one of my biggest peeves is trucks moving 1-2mph faster than the next truck and try to pass the slower truck............in about 2 mile distance..if your lucky.

These are usually the unfortunate souls, who have to drive trucks with speed governors. Their load weight may be different, so one may want to get around the other, especially if there are a lot of grades in the roadway.

Their speeds are both limited to probably 65 or 67 MPH, so they cannot quickly get additional speed, to promptly pass the "slower" truck and gain some distance.

Speed governors are supposed to be a saftey feature. :( Glad I no longer have to drive trucks that implement them :)

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

These are usually the unfortunate souls, who have to drive trucks with speed governors. Their load weight may be different, so one may want to get around the other, especially if there are a lot of grades in the roadway.

Their speeds are both limited to probably 65 or 67 MPH, so they cannot quickly get additional speed, to promptly pass the "slower" truck and gain some distance.

Speed governors are supposed to be a saftey feature. :( Glad I no longer have to drive trucks that implement them :)

yeah i know about those governors and understand the need for every extra mph , especially on a cross country run...but i just wish the guys/gals would give their mirrors a quick look before they start to turtle around another truck.......ive come up on a line of cars about 15 long..no kidding

how about those "wiggle wagons" ??......thats what my buddy calls the double and triple trailers lol...........i reckon they do wiggle goin down the road, and i just hate to pass them on a windy day..depending on how hard of a time they are having sometimes ill get in the hammer lane and hold back traffic close to bridges ......ive gotten the finger from other autos , when/if they get a chance to pass me, but im sure the trucker appreciates the extra room so i just blow off the rude gestures :D

and the poor guy/gals who have to go "downtown" in a big city.........i would be a nervous wreck :eek:

like i said i respect them all....especially the gear jammers...nothin but smoke baby :D....unless you have to go through californy lol..no smoking aloud

mscher

Lieutenant

yeah i know about those governors and understand the need for every extra mph , especially on a cross country run...but i just wish the guys/gals would give their mirrors a quick look before they start to turtle around another truck.......ive come up on a line of cars about 15 long..no kidding

They do take a quick look.

Many states have slower speed limits for trucks, than other vehicles. usually 5-10 MPH difference.

That only makes it worse.

Shizzy

Ensign

One of my pet peeves is when I'm driving down the road and a big rig comes up on my tail with about a 10 to 20 mph closing rate - and doesn't slow down until he's about 2 feet off my bumper... at 60 ro 70 mph... I drive a Mini Cooper and trust me, I KNOW what will happen if we bump... What gets me is that I was in that lane all the time, and he HAD to have seen me... My only guess is that he is trying to intimidate me into getting out of his way... For my part, it usually doesn't work - if anything, I slow down even more (be it a big rig or a tailgating auto...)

Again, not trying to start arguements - just want to point out that there is room for improvement EVERYWHERE...

Mark
I have always assumed it was because they have reached the speed they plan on cruising at. it takes him more time and fuel to reach speed then me. fuel is part of his money making equation. He is working, im not. I just swap lanes and let them ride by.

I ride a motorcycle and have been next to a big rig on the interstate and stopped right behind or in front of one at a red light. I realize how large they are and I just give them the right of way / stay out of their way regardless of who is right.

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant

Truckers or not, what I hate is when you are on the highway and you are moving along 70-75 and you come up on some vehicle in the passing lane doing like 60 trying to pass another car doing like 60 and you get bottled up behind them. Then one or the other or both flash their brakes or four ways, like I am doing something wrong to want to pass.

If a guy wants to drive 60 in a 65 go ahead, but if he doesn't like me eating his tail lights with my front bumper he should let me go ahead and drive my comfortable speed too by getting out of the way rather than just hanging out there in the passing lane.

However, I do beleive in giving truckers the chance to be safe too by giving them adequate clearance front and rear and side.