Engine "seized" while on the water... Hydrolock?

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer
Engine: 4.3 EFI
Drive: Alpha-1
Raw water cooling
Exhaust manifold age: 5-7 years (estimate)

Just took my boat out for the first time since de-winterizing.

Over the winter:
Block plugs removed
Manifold plugs removed
lower water pump hose removed
Thermostat removed and antifreeze pored in thermostat housing until I saw some leak out the various spots on the engine.

I ran my engine on the muffs before I took it out today to make sure everything was working, it ran perfectly.

Got it out to the water, and ran the boat for about 20-25 minutes, got to an island and shut the boat down. Boat was working perfectly, with no signs of any problems.

When I got to the island, I pushed off, lowered my leg and started my engine.

Now, my shift cables are not perfectly setup. Sometimes the shift interrupt kicks in before reverse is fully engages.

While basically sitting in still water, I tried twice to get into reverse, both times stalling the engine because of my shift interrupt kicking in.

Now. Here's the problem. I went to start the engine for the 3rd time, and my starter clicked, and the engine turned about 1/2 turn and froze. Having no tools with me, all I could do is try to turn the crank by hand. I can move about 1/8-1/4 of a turn forwards, or backwards, and that's it.

I didn't have any tools with me, so I couldn't remove the spark plugs, I will have to do that tomorrow.

So my gut instinct is either hydro lock or some kind of mechanical obstruction (like a bolt in the bell housing or a broken tooth in the gear case or something)

If it's hydro lock, I don't think it was through the intake manifold, because I opened the throttle plate, and the intake looked dry. The only think I could think of would be the exhaust manifolds, but they had the plugs out of them all winter.

And I don't think it was water up the drive, as I was basically in still water not moving at the time.

Can anyone shed some light?

Is coolant (raw water) leaking into the exhaust side of the exhaust manifold really the only explanation?

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Engine "seized" while on the water... Hydrolock?

ya have to pull the plugs if its hydrolocked if it turns over and water spits out the plug holes you have your answer

havasuboatman

Ensign

The questions you are asking really wont do you any good. Because any answers you get would be guesses. Pull your plugs and turn the motor over by hand because you may have filled a cylinder with fuel. That's not likely, but possible. Never use the started to see if you cleared what casued the seizure. Then come back with more information.

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

I guess my question is what is the most common cause of this. I'm confident once I get some tools to the boat I can diagnose the problem, but in the mean time I'd like to know what it most likely is.

Haut Medoc

Supreme Mariner

I guess my question is what is the most common cause of this. I'm confident once I get some tools to the boat I can diagnose the problem, but in the mean time I'd like to know what it most likely is.
It's a good guess, but.....
You need to get the water out NOW. ;)

cooter2506

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Also if you take the risers off check your exhaust flappers they might be shot or missing. Since it ran fine at home and then let you down after you made a run and shut her down, might be that you had water come up your exhaust and into one or more cylinders

Last edited:

bamadave

Petty Officer 1st Class

It could be something as simple as a dead battery or loose wire.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

It's a good guess, but.....
You need to get the water out NOW. ;)

Should done that as soon as it got home!:eek:
Water being left in the cylinders.....BAD!

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Okay,

Got down to the boat this morning and pulled the plugs. Spun the engine by hand at first, then with the starter. Water in both banks. I spun it with the starter for 10-15 seconds then sprayed liberal amounts of WD-40 into each cylinder.

Water in both banks makes me want to rule out exhaust manifold failure.

The fact that I wasn't moving at the time makes me want to rule out water forcing it's way back up through the leg.

How common is it for an intake manifold gasket to fail and cause this?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

Water in both sides points to water came back up exhaust.
Did you stop suddenly before the problem? Bad flappers in exhaust Y.

Dry it out and get it running.

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

While you were on the island, you say you had the leg tilted up, I'm assuming you beached the boat? perhaps a large boat came by and waves forced water into the engine.
The cure if that's the case is getting riser extensions, flappers are problematic.

WizeOne

Commander

.....The cure if that's the case is getting riser extensions....

Do you have a link that shows those?

EDIT: Never mind, I googled them. Nice idea if you have the height room to fit them. They sure don't give 'em away, do they? 172$ pair, Yikes!

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Yes, the boat was beached.

I came down off plane very slowly as I approached the island, and no boats buzzed by while I was there (a couple went by at low speed)

I had my motor out last year to replace my coupler, but I never thought to check my flappers. Are they in the Y-pipe?

My gut instinct is still the intake manifold. I'l have to tear down to find out.

I mean if I came down off plane very abruptly, or a bunch of boats flew by as I was beached, I'd suspect water up the exhaust and bad flappers....

coastalcruiser

Chief Petty Officer

Download a manual and take a look
Sticky: ------------ADULTs ONLY -------------------------No Exceptions-----

mylesm260

Chief Petty Officer

Okay so this afternoon, got home, reinstalled the plugs, put the muffs on, touched the key and it fired right up.

It idled and revved nice and smooth, I think I dodged the bullet, doesn't look like I bent a rod or anything.

I didn't have enough time to diagnose the problem much, so after it warmed up, I shut it down and drained the manifolds and disconnected the lower coolant hose.

Assuming my flappers are not working properly, or missing, what are the chances water got up through the leg?

How common is hydrolocking due to water comming up the leg?

egldvrbags

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Okay so this afternoon, got home, reinstalled the plugs, put the muffs on, touched the key and it fired right up.

It idled and revved nice and smooth, I think I dodged the bullet, doesn't look like I bent a rod or anything.

I didn't have enough time to diagnose the problem much, so after it warmed up, I shut it down and drained the manifolds and disconnected the lower coolant hose.

Assuming my flappers are not working properly, or missing, what are the chances water got up through the leg?

How common is hydrolocking due to water comming up the leg?

Download service bulletin 2001-13 regarding water intrusion.
http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Bullet/01/01_13.pdf
You'll see on p. 4 there is a section about boats that are beached. If you look in the exhaust section of your engine manual, it will give you a measurement between the riser and the waterline (mine is 13 inches: '95 4.3LX). If you raise the bow when it's beached and you don't have the min measurement, there is a potential for water intrusion. Ask me how I know???
http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=236728

Dave

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I am assuming that if he had a plug wrench with him, he could have gotten his engine running again...on the beach?

Am I wrong?

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

when you pulled the oil pan plug did alot of water come out... or did it seem like all the water had mixed with the oil?

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

If the boat was beached and the drive tilted up it won't take much of a wave to push water up the exhaust.
The flappers are in the Y tube.

One boat i had with the 4.3 had no flappers and i run it for years with no problems.

FreeBeeTony

Captain

He said the engine was runnung and he had to restart 2 times after leaving the island.........maybe he was backing up, engine stalled and then water entered exhaust..........doesn't sound like it happend while it was beached.

In any case it (the water) probably entered through the exhaust........my guess anyway.