Fishing in a Pontoon Boat

mikejan

Cadet
I like to fish. My wife doesn't particularly like the typical fishing boat that I have used in the past--16 ft aluminum boat/52 inch bottom/40 hp motor; low sides and no amnenities like soft seats etc. Makes me wonder about the possibility of trying a pontoon boat.
Two problems:
1) I understand that these types of boats can porpoise in choppy water? Is there a resolution to this tendancy?
2) Sometimes I motor/fish in two feet of water. Can a jackplate be used to allow for shallow water fishing?

Thanks, Mike

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Fishing in a Pontoon Boat

My triple log pontoon handles chop better than most V-Hull boats. Not that I think it is a good choice for offshore but for Lake fishing I would not trade it for the world. Last July we had a serious storm hit our lake on July 4th. I was running through the chop at WOT (27-28mph) While other boats were getting beat up and cruising back at low speed.

For shallow water fishing I would use a trolling motor although the draft is not much different for a V-Hull boat. My toon's draft is about 20" Of course that various Slightly with load. I have trolled in 2 feet of water (Pucker factor was high when I realized that on my depth gauge)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

A pontoon makes an excellent fishing rig but you need a fishing setup. I have a Misty Harbor 4-corner fish as they are called. Most pontoons are not set up with a live well so this is a must for serious fishing. Miine has a fishing seat in each corner and the rails are a bit lower in those positions but normal height at the center. It has a 55# Minnkota Power Drive V2 trolling motor up front and it will sneak into some pretty skinny water. Extremely comfortable and the bimini gives you some shade on those really hot days. If you have smaller kids with you I would avoid the pontoons that have the front deck open with no railing. There is nothing to hang onto and kids (and less stable adults) could easily fall off.

mikejan

Cadet

Gentlemen:
How many inches does your pontoon boat draft with the motor up?

Thanks, Mike

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

I am honestly not sure but the logs on my JC are only 24" tall so I would assume 12 - 16 inch max.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

according to the water line on mine about 12 inches, and i can leave the motor down, as my foot is above the bottom of the tubes. mine is set up for cruising and fishing. also notice the water line, these are 22 diameter inch tubes.

toonpicsmaidenvoyage002.jpg

my motor is a long shaft, so i had to raise it.

Attachments

• transom elevator  Toon 002.JPG
    transom elevator Toon 002.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 0

Jeff Walkowiak

Lieutenant Commander

that's all I use mine for ,I'm going fishing today actually best flats boat I ever had. made the bait well from a low boy cooler with a pump to feed it and a pick up tube for when the boat is moving,, all is easily removable but I never take it off. I mounted plastic boxes in the rear,, used insulating foam in one so I have a fish box that holds ice and fish for 24 hours.
pontooninsulatedfishbox.jpg

pontoonbaitwell.jpg

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

I wouldn't have anything but a toon for fishing- once you try it you will be hooked and the wife sure won't let you get rid of it.

I took my 20 footer to Truman lake on the windyest, roughest day I could to test it on rough water. I drove it at every speed and direction possible and it handled like a charm. I can't imagine a better boat for rough water.

I like to take all the furniture off and use fishing seats on movable bases so I can set them wherever I want. I use a desk chair for driving. It is cloth covered and blue so it won't be as hot as a black one. It rocks, swivels, goes up and down and I left the wheels on it. They don't bother anything and are handy to move around with. I love it. I use an ice chest instead of a live well. much less hassle and the fish are dead and cold so they are easier to clean.

I've had a 28 footer, an 18 and now a 20 plus my daughter has a 24 footer so I have got to try them all out for fishing and camping. I am going back to an 18 foot as it is easier to get around in, drives about like a car.

Of course you need to buy a boat according to what you want to do with it. Number one is don't overload them as you lose all performance. My 28 footer ran faster than the 18 footer with the same motor on it because it floated higher in the water.

I intend to get an 18 footer with 3 logs as they perform better and of course without furniture.

I also intend to get the high fence all around as I am old and clumsy and love to fish in rough water.

http://picasaweb.google.com/shootmor/Pontoon02#

http://picasaweb.google.com/shootmor

mikejan

Cadet

To Boatmor and others:
Who makes an 18 ft, 3 log pontoon for fishing?
Thanks, Mike

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I don't think you could get a pontoon to porpoise if I paid you so whoever told you that was very mistaken.

I agree, I don't think you will find any boat that rides nicer than a toon, I have had one of our company boats up to 47 in a 3' chop and it didn't even fizz up my pop.

If you step up to a 20' boat you will really open up your options, 18' tris are pretty rare but almost any company offers a 20 tri and in fishing trim and they are pretty close in price.

At the bottom of the main forum the have all the pontoon manufacturers listed and it takes you right to there site so you can compare boats, just check to see if they are still in business, the last year has been very hard on the boating industry and we have lost alot of manufacturers.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

I don't think you could get a pontoon to porpoise if I paid you so whoever told you that was very mistaken. SNIP

The only time that I have seen a pontoon porpoising was when it was trying to hit 65+ mph. Not a normal occurrence.

There is/was a youtube video of a pontoon up for sale making a high speed run to impress the potential buyer. That and watching our lake's top gun shootout where a pontoon was doing 80+ mph, with just a slight amount of porpoising.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe what he meant was the submarine effect. I have seen toons catch a wave and submarine before. It was a 2 log older toon.

OldePharte

Chief Petty Officer

Maybe what he meant was the submarine effect. I have seen toons catch a wave and submarine before. It was a 2 log older toon.

Could be. Heck I've done that before. Just keep the weight towards the rear, watch the speed, and watch the waves. Which is one reason I am trying to go to a 26 footer to minimize our wakes that are generated by 60 foot cruisers plowing down the lake.

mikejan

Cadet

Thanks for all the info guys. This is a tremendous resource.
I was referring to submarining instead of porpoising. Thanks, again.

boatmor

Seaman Apprentice

Most of the submarining was with older toons with small tubes especially when loaded. It doesn't amount to anything except the danger of throwing someone over the front of the boat then running over them. It does get folks excited.

Voyager will make anything you want and they are good boats and good folks.

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

Most of the submarining was with older toons with small tubes especially when loaded. It doesn't amount to anything except the danger of throwing someone over the front of the boat then running over them. It does get folks excited.

Voyager will make anything you want and they are good boats and good folks.

I have seen some newer toons do this as well. Most of the time it is due to running WOT throttle with too many people in the front of the boat and crossing a wake. As far as amounting to nothing I disagree. The toon can go from 30mph to 0 very fast which will sends it's passengers flying forward as 30mph.... This is harder to do with a modern 3 log toon but not impossible. Another danger is if the driver does not kill the throttle the motor can and will continue to push the deck under water and as you said driving over anyone that was thrown forward.

This scenario is unlikely but possible. Boats are a lot of fun but never forget the danger as well. When you are captain of your boat all the passengers are your responsibility.

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I subbed the last company boat I had out and it was a 25'' I/O top deck with the ESP which makes the boat bank in turns, I was screwing around doing tight turns an spun it 180 then cut throttle and was quite suprised when my wake came over the deck, other than some wet carpet, no harm done.

It was a hoot having a 25' top deck pontoon banked way over cutting a hard turn, wouldn't think they would even do that.

ozarkglen

Cadet

I have the very same problem with my wife. She loves the lake, but hates to fish. I have had two bass boats and could rarely get her to go with me. She convinced me to try a pontoon, and we never looked back. Now we go to the lake nearly every weekend and both have a blast. My 18' Lowe has 2 livewells and a trolling motor. The fishing seats are up front, so while I'm fishing she is in the back enjoying her book or floating on a raft tied to the back. Now we both can do what we love at the lake on the same boat and at the same time!!