Newbie HELP advice on trailer bunks and keel rollers?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
:confused:

Guys i really need some help i'm doing the stringers and transom and need a solid trailer to hold this boat so i don't disform the hull and transom when i put it back together.

Does anybody have a picture of a properly set-up trailer for a 67 larson all-american lapline hull.I have the original late 60's gator trailer.

I can't get the boat to center on the trailer.The orignal owner had the bunks in a v going so i straightened them out and raised the bunks 4 inches.Now the boat is wobbly and will not rest on either side of the bunks.Should i try to lower the keel rollers?

I also removed the small blocks near the front of the bow.I'm not sure what there called.Do i even need them?

Mark_VTfisherman

Lieutenant
Re: Newbie HELP advice on trailer bunks and keel rollers?

Assuming 1] you have a bow roller or rubber snubber, and 2] the "blocks" are under the bow end of the keel, the blocks in the bow are just bunks- they take weight off the rollers and spread support over a wide area, plus they add stability. Properly set up they will also help center the boat. So, yes, you need them.

I don't know what to tell you about your rear bunks without a picture of some sort. Th only thing I can say is what you already know- it shouldn't wobble. And the above may be innacurate if my assumptions were wrong. Post a picture and someone will put you back on course.

Gary H NC

Fleet Admiral

The bunks need to hold most of the weight even if you have keel rollers.
Try to determine where the stringers are and adjust the bunks under that area of the hull as long as its not hitting the strakes in the hull.

Hope that makes sense to you...:D

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sorry guys i forgot i already posted another thread on the same thing in here.I will just use this post for the trailer.I have attached some pics i took this morning.I should i adjust this thing so she rides level and doesn't wobble side to side.

Attachments

• 100_3165.JPG
    100_3165.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3171.JPG
    100_3171.JPG
    76.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3177.JPG
    100_3177.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 100_3173.JPG
    100_3173.JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 0

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Help anybody:(

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

anybody got an ideas on how i should properly set this up

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Hey Z, I'm only posting because no one else has. I'm definitely not an expert. However, I am going through the same thing as you as I'm working on setting up a new trailer for my boat. What I'm going to do is use these brackets http://www.iboats.com/Seachoice_Swi...609609330--**********.459393486--view_id.3044 which adjust up and down and side to side and new bunks. I'm going to try to get my bunks to sit just outward of my strakes and adjust them so they sit as flat and tight up against the hull as I can. What people have said on here is that the keel rollers should not being holding the majority of the weight of the boat. The bunks should. The rollers should be mainly a guide. Hope this helps. I'm still painting mine but I'm going to be stopping at BassPro after work today to pick up some of those brackets if they have them.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

EZ, thanks for responding ,you know that's exactly what i was thinking,i need more height so the majority of weight rests on the bunks.I saw a picture of these installed and they had a bracket on each side of the cross member for strength.I would have to buy 12 of them if i did that.Not sure if i need that many it's not a heavy boat only a 16 footer .I can pick the back of it up with the motor off.Are you going to use 2x6's flat or on edge or even 2X4's?

Thanks Again

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I'm going to buy 6 brackets. I would think 12 would be way overkill. Maybe if there were only 2 points of attachment I could see doubling them up but not when there's 3. I haven't decided on 2x4s or 2x6s yet. To be honest my boat is not at my house right now where I'm working on the new trailer. I'm going to pick it up from storage this Saturday morning and then I'll be able look at it and better determine how I'm going to do things.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

more pics

Attachments

• Bunk1.JPG
    Bunk1.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 0

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think your keel rollers must me much too high.

a70eliminator

Captain

It's going to definately take some enginuity to fit your deep V to a flat keel roller trailer like that one, and that was the original trailer to the boat? I would be looking at maybe adding a second set of bunks inboard angled and tilted so the hull will wedge comfortably between them, just forget the keel rollers till you have that, then set the keel roller to evenly take up their share of weight. You can try with just the one set of bunks. just get them at the right angle so V settles in and sorts wedges itself, do that first then bring the keel rollers up to take up some of the weight.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

When i say original i should have said "came with the boat".I really don't care for the keel rollers and wouldn't have a problem if it was just a bunk trailer.I am just trying to secure this thing so i can get inside it without putting my foot through the hull as i have the stringers and floor out.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class

Guys thanks so much!!! Your advice worked!! Now she is solid and stable on the trailer!!!