Torque specs for lug nuts

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was wondering if anyone knows the torque specs for my trailer or is there a standard spec for certain size wheel studs or axle size. My trailer is a 1978 Phoenix single axle 3500 lb. I have a 17 foot 1978 ProCraft fiberglass Bass Boat on it. Main concern is to have all nuts tightened evenly but not to tight. Thanks for ant help.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Torque specs for lug nuts

80-90 ft.lbs should be about right, thats what i usually do.

reelfishin

Captain

Some are marked right on the bolt or lug. My one trailer with wheel bolts, has 70ftlbs marked right on each bolt head. Other than that, I have to agree with the 80 to 90 estimate. Just remember to lube the lugs before torquing them to spec.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

+1 to redone4x4.

Rule of thumb is around 90 ft lbs for a steel wheel (rim)...and less for an aluminum wheel (over torqueing aluminum rims can distort, and elongate, the holes).

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks a bunch. I was thinking 80 to 100 so I was close. I know my Chevy 4X4 silverado is 140 ft lbs but didn't think that would be to good on the trailer. Thanks again.

reelfishin

Captain

What it pretty much boils down to is getting them all about the same and the bolt diameter which determines torque. Being that they are not powered wheels, they don't have as much tendency to loosen either. They only see force from one direction and at that, only if you have brakes.

fire831

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was always told NOT to lube any lug nuts or studs!
Maybe I should tell that to the guy's at Wal-Mart when they rotate my truck tires. Man they sure use a lot of anti seize.

bhammer

Ensign

Maybe I should tell that to the guy's at Wal-Mart when they rotate my truck tires. Man they sure use a lot of anti seize.

LOL, I don't use anything other than a wire brush on mine to clean them up. The use of lubes can cause an over torque of the nuts. I would imagine that anti-seize would do the same thing. I am sure that more knowledgeable folks could comment. I know places like Discount tire never use anything on them either.

Mkos1980

Chief Petty Officer

I go 90lbs dry. You never see new trailers or vehicles with lube on the lug nuts

a70eliminator

Captain

Who carries a torque wrench around for changing a tire, I sure don't and never have never will. I torque the bolts in a criss cross pattern alternating till they all go EEK EEK.

Bondo

Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelfishin
Just remember to lube the lugs before torquing them to spec.

Who carries a torque wrench around for changing a tire, I sure don't and never have never will. I torque the bolts in a criss cross pattern alternating till they all go EEK EEK.

Ayuh,....

I tighten All standard steel center disc wheels, aka. Cars, Pickups, Trailers, etc., as Tight as my scrony little self can get them with my craftsman polished longhandled, flex-head 1/2" racket will turn 'em.....
Probably in the neighborhood of the 80/ 100 ft.lb. range...
Heavier equipment,+ Dumptrucks get tightened with my 3/4" craftsman ratchet,+ a 2' pipe....
All, after a liberal bath with Never-Sieze for the studs......
If I can't reach the can of Never-Sieze,... I'll use a fingerful of purged grease off a chassis fitting...

In the 40- odds years of doing so,...
The Only wheel I've ever lost, had just been painted with a healthy dose of Rustoleum,....
Ayuh,... The lug's tapered holes too.... Took 5 or 6 stop,+ Torques to finally seat the lugs through the fresh paint..... :rolleyes:
That lesson taught me the Importance of Clean mating surfaces....

The Reason I use Never-Sieze is because when I have to remove 1 of these wheels,...
Using the wrenches noted above,.. I get a "Snap",+ then a free turning nut....
Removing a wheel nut that has Never seen Never-Sieze usually results in the wheel nut making a70eliminator's noise All the way til it falls off,....
EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK. EEK EEK.....:(

sebago_kid

Seaman

Bondo... I like the idea of the never-sieze on the lugs... I always put a dab on, too... or a dab of grease, or whatever's handy. Makes coming apart much easier.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

Bondo... I like the idea of the never-sieze on the lugs... I always put a dab on, too... or a dab of grease, or whatever's handy. Makes coming apart much easier.

+1^, I also use a small amount of never-seize on. thats what its for, imo. I understand both sides of the argument, but im the guy that walks around every so often with a torque wrench and double checks so im not worried about anything working loose.

reelfishin

Captain

I was always told NOT to lube any lug nuts or studs!

Have you ever tried to get a set of salt rusted wheel lugs off?

Lubing the lug threads will help in getting them fully tightened.
I've been greasing the threads on all my trucks and trailers for 30 years and have never had one come loose.

I have had to fight with many that were never lubed which were frozen or rusted. I also make sure there's some lube around the rim center so it don't rust to the hub. Especially if its an aluminum rim.

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Have you ever tried to get a set of salt rusted wheel lugs off?

Especially on the side of the road...using a cheap lug wrench...!

My trailer hubs see salt, and brackish, water every outing...and I will always keep the studs coated with Anti-Seize. I have never had a single lug nut loosen on it's own.

I would love to see a poll asking how many have had wheels fall off from lubing the studs...and how many have been stuck on the side of the road, with 'frozen' lug nuts on a flat tire!

SG Goobacks

Cadet

I always use locktite on my lugs every since I lost the driver side rears on my dually. Not a good feeling when your going down the higway with a 4500 lb. slide in camper in your bed and your *** drops to the concrete out of control.
I have not had an issue since and that was 6 years ago, I use the same on my trailer and it's been towed alot, From Colorado to AZ a couple of times and quite a few other trips to the lake.
On my trailer lugs, I go 70lbs per foot and they are aluminum rims.