Anybody use a propeller lock?

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Anybody use a propeller lock?

I has one on my last boat with a stainless prop, just KEEP the key HANDY! To solve the outdrive theft issues, they also make an outdrive lock, same thing a locking nut. In todays society-people will steal anything. My boat is in the backyard, behind a locked gate, patrolled by 3 Great Danes and a Chow-St Bernard mix. Theres a Dane in the house too just in case they take that route. I have been stolen from just about everywhere I've ever lived and as long as I've had "Stuff" to steal. All you need to do to stop a regular thief is make it JUST hard enough to go somewhere else. I'd have one on my Bravo III but cant find one??? I DO have a drive lock though.

ebry710

Ensign

Expidia

Commander

I went into West marine as their site says they carry the T-Rex transom protector with the prop lock bar. I have a $100 gift card so I figured if I did not like it I could return it easily.

But of course they did not have one. He looked it up and it said they have discontinued buying them from the manufacturer.

I wonder if they had problems with the design? Anyone use a T-Rex with the prop lock out there?

After I read this thread I realized how quickly my Mercury Prop could be stolen. It's not stainless but it is held on just by the prop nut. I'd say 30 secs and its gone. That would ruin my day if I came out from one of the lake motels and no prop. I'll order a T-Rex off the web!

I hate West. I wanted to pick up another spray can of the black Quicksilver paint. The last time I bought it for $12.99 and I thought that was high. This time they have in it's place a spray can of West Marine black for props, out drives and lower units for $36.99 :eek: :eek: :eek: West should do the consumer a favor and go out of business!

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I went into West marine as their site says they carry the T-Rex transom protector with the prop lock bar. I have a $100 gift card so I figured if I did not like it I could return it easily.

But of course they did not have one. He looked it up and it said they have discontinued buying them from the manufacturer.

I wonder if they had problems with the design? Anyone use a T-Rex with the prop lock out there?

After I read this thread I realized how quickly my Mercury Prop could be stolen. It's not stainless but it is held on just by the prop nut. I'd say 30 secs and its gone. That would ruin my day if I came out from one of the lake motels and no prop. I'll order a T-Rex off the web!

I hate West. I wanted to pick up another spray can of the black Quicksilver paint. The last time I bought it for $12.99 and I thought that was high. This time they have in it's place a spray can of West Marine black for props, out drives and lower units for $36.99 :eek: :eek: :eek: West should do the consumer a favor and go out of business!

How about a T-Rex for $45...and shipped free?

On eBay, as I type...only 10 left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-RE...5416994QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I wonder if this could be used on the prop and outdrive...?

Attachments

• 335.jpg
    335.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 0

matt9923

Chief Petty Officer

Just get a singe to scare them away. Hang it on your boat.
playdeadjpeg.jpg

Expidia

Commander

How about a T-Rex for $45...and shipped free?

On eBay, as I type...only 10 left:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T-RE...5416994QQptZBoatQ5fPartsQ5fAccessoriesQ5fGear

Thx, nice find. I just bought one. I love Ebay! And free shipping for a 6 lb box, that's pretty good. Sounds to me like he's going out of business and shipping free to get the stuff out the door before it's padlocked by the bank :eek:

I hope that Marine store is not in Nigeria :D

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral

These two threads sum up my dilemma. Peace of mind (not cost) vs another part.

I am assuming the prop lock is similar to a lug nut lock which uses a special socket to remove them (looked them up on iboats). Are they any harder to remove then with a socket set? What happens if the special socket fall into the "drink"? Can you get a replacement?

I use one and yes they use a special socket type key. It will also come with a code so you can get a replacement if you loose it.

ebry710

Ensign

Thanks. I booked marked it and will buy it next week.

Shizzy

Ensign

in my opinion any type of lock will cause most crooks to move on. when I used to live in the shady side of town I would regularly step outside for a smoke late at night only to see some guy walking down the street trying the drivers door handle on every car. door locked, he moved on, door unlocked he went in for a look.

and yes I always called the Police and had them check on whoever it was...

Varago

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I ask this question in the prop forum and did not get an answer but it does add to this thread.

With the McGard prop lock # 74039 the picture does not show any way to lock the new prop nut to the hub, merc uses tabs and VP uses a pin, what does McGard use and YES props DO come off witout some way to lock the nut to the hub.

Dave

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

I ask this question in the prop forum and did not get an answer but it does add to this thread.

With the McGard prop lock # 74039 the picture does not show any way to lock the new prop nut to the hub, merc uses tabs and VP uses a pin, what does McGard use and YES props DO come off witout some way to lock the nut to the hub.

Dave

They are six sided...just like the lock nut.

You can just see this in the picture on their website:

http://www.mcgard.com/Home/MarineProducts/PropellerLocks

EDITED: I just took another look...maybe he's right!

ebry710

Ensign

Dave

A valid thought, but if the nut can spin off with the spin of the prop, then I can remove it with a stripped nut socket. Without a pin, tab, lock nut or sandwich nuts it sounds like a smart thief can remove the lock, but a desperate owner, with the key at the bottom of the lake, may not.

Expidia

Commander

A valid thought, but if the nut can spin off with the spin of the prop, then I can remove it with a stripped nut socket. Without a pin, tab, lock nut or sandwich nuts it sounds like a smart thief can remove the lock, but a desperate owner, with the key at the bottom of the lake, may not.

Interesting question. I found the answer for you on another boat forum. Here is what the poster answered to that same question:

"You don't need a cotter pin with the McGard lock. That flat washer that says "this side out" is a locking washer.
Its sort of cone shaped if that makes sense. So when you torque it down to 50lbs or so its locked on there.

We've had them on boats for years, never had an issue".

Campylobacter

Chief Petty Officer

So I decided to buy one (I am the original poster), and it came today. It was very easy to install, but I stand by my original post that it is a bit pricey for basically a two part nut.

It does not use a cotter pin, but the locking washer. I hope it works! My prop wrench is not a torque wrench, so I really have now idea if it is at the proper 50 lb rating, I just used as much force as I was comfortable with. The prop wrench is over a foot long so I think I got quite a bit of torque on it.

One cute trick is that the "key" has two o-rings that make it stick into the prop wrench fairly securely. This will help keep it from falling into the drink, and from getting lost. I guess I will keep it in the wrench.