Johnson 25 starter rope and other stuff

302suawdust

Cadet
Last fall I picked up a 14? aluminum runabout with a 1969 Johnson 25hp outboard. The motor ran Ok in the tank but I like more than OK. So I?..

-Drained the oil in the gear box and replaced with new oil (old oil was not milky) I also replaced the O rings on the drain and fill plugs
-Replace the water pump impeller and the rubber piece the joins the output of the water pump to the water line leading to the power head.
-Purchased and installed a rebuild kit for the fuel pump (you need about 5 hands to put that thing back together BTW :mad: )
-Replaced the oil lines on power head as they were brittle
-Measured the compression both cylanders were within about 6lbs
-Installed new plugs and gapped to .030?
-Installed new points and condensers and gapped to .020? Coils looked good and I have a strong spark now so I did not replace them. Plug wires seemed OK so I did not replace those either.
-replaced thermostat and associated gaskets
-cleaned carb installed carb kit including new float
-Fuel hoses/line on power head seemed plyable and in good shape so I left it
-Fuel hose and bulb from tank is only one season old according to previous owner (and it looks about right for one season)
-replace the tilt bushings as they were nearly worn out
-greased all grease points

Now here are my two questions:

What have I missed to make sure my old motor is in tip top shape for summer?

I want to replace the pull rope and clean/re-grease the recoil spring (I assume it is greased). I have read lots of good info on doing this on iboats but I am left with one question. Can I purchase a similar braded rope of the same diameter from any hardware store or is there something special about the OMC rope? (I would like to purchase a spare to have at the same time)

Oh and the motor runs very nice now :)
The next few weeks or so will be spent on the boat itself and then hopefully the water will be soft by then or soon after. :)

Rick.

Captain
Re: Johnson 25 starter rope and other stuff

I buy starter rope from a local tool rental shop but I have seen it at the odd hardware store as well. Sounds like your ready to enjoy a care free summer of boating. Good work. Rick.

remus martinez

Recruit

i need some help to fid out what year and gas ratio for my 15 hp johnson model# 15R74S

steelespike

Supreme Mariner

You should allways post your own thread.Hijacking a thread can become very confusing for all involved.Your Fuel mix is 50:1 use TCW3 rated oil.

rabeck5792

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1974,50:1,seems to me that the starter rope you get from the dealer is a little bit stiffer and doesnt wear as quick.

jbjennings

Captain

Hardware store rope is a no-no on outboards. It will wear out in a flash.
Sounds like you got yourself a good motor. I wish I had a '69. Fast and light!
good luck,
JBJ

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

The #204055 rope for your engine is 7/32" cut from OMC/BRP #316705 which has been superseded by part #772578.

The parts list calls for 72-1/4" but later SB#1244 lists 75-3/4". I would buy 80" and allow for adjustments.

BTW, I have owned a lot of lawn mowers that were started quite frequently compared to my outboard motors; I can't remember breaking a starter rope. If you should decide to use hardware store rope, 7/32 rope is called #7.

302suawdust

Cadet

Thanks guys,
I will get my hands on the OMC stuff. Sounds like that is the smartest way to go. The rope that is on there now is a little frayed so I would like to just start over with a known good one.

This is my first boat and although turning wrenches on engines is not foreign to me by any means (farm boy) outboards are a brand new challenge for me. I am really surprised at how small the engine is to be called a 25hp even in regards to other outboards that I have seen.

Thanks again,
Ian