Force 35 Carb

rustyr

Cadet
My 35 H.P. Force, 1988 model, is still spitting and going dead at low idle. I've had the carb and fuel pump rebuilt, installed a new tank, and installed all new fuel lines. Put the boat in the water and adjusted the carb, just as you recommended last year.

It ran better for 1 fishing trip after the carb adjusting. Nothing I've done has made a bit of difference. Everyone I talk to says it's a fuel issue...not fire. I surely don't know.

So, I've decided to buy a new carb. The only problem is that I can't find one for sale. Evidently, carbs for my motor are out of production.

I'd surely appreciate any leads or ideas on fixing this problem, or on finding a carb.
Thanks,
rustyr

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 35 Carb

please describe spitting to me that is a possible problem with the reed valves.
Is the carb just flooding or is it chuffing out the carb?

rustyr

Cadet
Re: Force 35 Carb

Hi Steelespike,
It doesn't flood-out....maybe "chuffing out" is a better term for what it's doing.
With the throttle slightly advanced, it'll run for a few seconds, then it will spit, then pick back up and run for a few seconds, then spit again...sometimes 2 or 3 times in quick succession. Usually, it goes dead when it starts spitting several times in a row. It seems to be spitting back through the carb. It only does it at idle....runs great above an idle.

And every time I crank it, it spits and goes dead. I have to start it several times for it to stay running long enough for me to very quickly shift into gear and give it throttle. Once I throttle up above idle, it runs fine.

Thank you for offering to help me solve this problem. If you think it may be the Reed Valve, what's involved in fixing it? I have a shop manual for the motor, so it should give me step-by-step instructions.
rustyr