1991 Mariner 9.9 Fuel to Oil ratio

ocbassman

Recruit
I baught this motor last year and ran it all season. It had no top end performance. So i took it in and the exhaust was almost totally clogged with carbon. I know it wasent all from me but I dont want it to happen again. Since it cost me 344.99 to get it cleaned out.

If anyone knows the correct oil to fuel ratio it would help me out greatly.

Thanx
Tim

PS: I'll post pics after I get them from the marina.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1991 Mariner 9.9 Fuel to Oil ratio

50:1 is the correct ratio, Tim.

ocbassman

Recruit

Here are some pics.....

DSC01134.jpg

DSC01135.jpg

DSC01136.jpg

DSC01137.jpg

DSC01138.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

cobra 3.0

Lieutenant Commander

Looks like the motor was used as a troller. These 2 stokers love to be run full out and running constantly at slower speeds without running them full out will gunk them up like that.

Using a water spray bottle, you can decarbonize your piston chamber area by squirting water mist from a spray bottle in to the carb when it's reving medium to high (try to keep the engine from stalling). Watch the gunk that comes out, it'll be surprising.

There are also actual spray products available for decarbonizing which may work better or so they say.

ocbassman

Recruit

Looks like the motor was used as a troller. These 2 stokers love to be run full out and running constantly at slower speeds without running them full out will gunk them up like that.

Using a water spray bottle, you can decarbonize your piston chamber area by squirting water mist from a spray bottle in to the carb when it's reving medium to high (try to keep the engine from stalling). Watch the gunk that comes out, it'll be surprising.

There are also actual spray products available for decarbonizing which may work better or so they say.

Thats a great idea thanx alot. I didn't even think of that.