Boaters world Going

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Boaters world Going

Wow I thought that was just the local store here.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

The same liquidator that broke up circuit city bought them they are all closing.

CheapboatKev

Vice Admiral

they are owned by Ritz Camera stores, that have been sinking badly since the digitalization of photography..You would think the boating side would be a little better off, you always need SOMETHING to keep her ship shape...

TJLMERC330

Cadet

Yea .. I got a gift card to Boaters World for xams headed out on Friday to do some 'browsing' ... I pulled into the parking lot and saw the signs in the windows ....... I knew they were fishing for a buyer (no pun intended) .... I guess it didnt pan out ..... SAD ..it looks like West Marine (Boat US) has the majority market locked up (at least in SJ) ... For me , I 'm still gonna try to spend my money @ the local 'privately owned' marine distributers when I can ....

Tom

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

95% of my orders will come from the internet now. I don't like West Marine.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My local has 10-30% off entire store.
Still expensive.
Electronics only had 10% off. (usual sales are 20% if I remember right)
Anyways, with 10% off they were still $100+ over on all items.
Ordered $925 worth of electronic componants on internet and saved well over $300. Plus no tax and with free shipping.
Meet some nice folks working BW,,, but the store prices are crazy. :rolleyes:
Thus is the way with American retailers.
They'd rather go out of buisness than deal in volume with a smaller profit margin to make ends meet in these economic times. :(
No love lost here.:rolleyes:

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Liquidators come in and buy the entire inventory so BW no longer controls the pricing. Liquidators inflate the prices and them slash them to make it appear as if you are getting a deal. Often, you are not and the same item could be purchased at the store for less prior to liquidation. I saw a news bit on it a while back.

mphy98

Lieutenant

be very careful with liquidators, they can be a snaky breed. circuit city's liquidation included broken TV's that were not exchangeable nor refundable. the worst was the people were told they couldn't inspect before they paid for it!!! so be very careful, insist on inspections before you pay.