Grease Points

jjdaddy

Recruit
Hello,

I just purchased a 1968 9.5hp Johnson and I know just enough about outboard motors to be dangerous. I notice what I think are grease insertion points on the motor that I think you can apply grease to with a grease gun.

What type of grease do I use and how much do I apply? Also what does it do/how often should I apply it?

I just want to take care of this motor.

Thanks

17bellboy

Cadet
Re: Grease Points

I always give mine a couple pumps of marine grease about twice every season. I don't figure it needs much more than that.

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

I usually pump enough marine grease until I see it coming our some where. By doing, it flushes out some of the old grease.

MAS

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I usually pump enough marine grease until I see it coming our some where. By doing, it flushes out some of the old grease.

MAS

i did this today on my motor.. 59 'rude 35..

we pumped it with regular gun grease [not sure] and did it as you would any other fitting..until it comes out somewhere

Rick.

Captain

Hello there. How often is a good question. I just maintained a, new to me, 73, 9.5 that I'm sure had it's original grease. I used a small drill bit, turning it by hand, to remove grease from those want to be Evenrude grease fittings just to open the passage and took apart as many things as I could and cleaned the parts with paint thinner. The grease on the motor was absolutely hard. Why do you grease? To make things operate smoothly and reduce friction and wear. I grease things in the winter and that's about it but I don't put many hours on my motors either. Marine grease is best but any grease is better than nothing. Best of luck. Rick.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

How often?? In salt water "often" In fresh water, "whatever", The anti-corrosion lubricants sold by the various motor manufacturers is great stuff. And no, the Evinrude doesn't care if you use Yamaha or Mercury grease.