Electronics Project

i386

Captain
Hey guys. I'm building a small 5watt tube guitar amplifier. It's one of those things I've wanted to do for years. All the parts are sitting on my bench waiting to be turned into something. Right now I'm doing the design work for where everything goes. It's one thing to have a schematic (which I have), but translating that into real parts that have to fit together is another.

I thought there might be a few folks here that might find this interesting so I thought I'd share. Here's the picture gallery.

Xcusme

Commander
Re: Electronics Project

AH HA!! Now it comes clear.....What graphics package are you using?? :):)

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It looks like you are well on the way there,just about any question that you may have can be answered from the component layout and your schematic.
Good luck with it.Ron G

i386

Captain

AH HA!! Now it comes clear.....What graphics package are you using?? :):)

Now you know what I'm up to hehe. I'm drawing it up in photoshop. Maybe not quite the best tool for the job in terms of efficiency, but I'm familliar with it. It let's me jump in and go at it without having to learn another tool.

Nandy

Commander

I have created multiple boards using http://www.cadsoftusa.com/. I used to build my own game cams. I used it to build the brains of the game cam and control/interact the different hardware and modules. Used the photosensitive board to make the pcb. Havent work on it for a couple of years since the game cams are so cheap now. Good luck!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

I dont know if they are still around but you can buy etching transfers from a company called Techniks Inc. They are iron on transfers for copper pc boards. After they are ironed on you remove the plastic backing then soak the board in something like heated sodium Persuphate to remove all the copper you dont need. I used my dremel to drill the holes. I found a website a long time ago that would allow you to put your schematic using their software. You would spec out the size of each component then it would automatically make you a board etching pattern. It put it in a non reproducing color but I was able to open it in photo shop and turn everything black then I did a mirror print for the copier on the transfer papers from Techniks. This might be way to much for what you are doing. Radio Shack as some general purpose pc boards that you can use to use bus wire and solder to make your board. They also sell blank copper boards and etching solution. I played with building a bunch of stuff one long winter that got me to spring.

Nandy

Commander

I used expresspcb and did not find it as complete as Eagle plus with expresspcb you have to get your product from them... I rather do the entire thing, it was more rewarding... However, doing 2 layer board are tricky and I can understand letting some else do that. This was a good 4 years ago so now it might be different now...

i386

Captain

I'm going with a turret board (no pcb). This is one of the preferred methods for building amplifiers.Almost all "vintage" tube amplifiers were made this way. A good percentage of hand made "boutique" amps are still made this way.So there's nothing really unusual about doing it this way. The circuit layout is done and luckily I didn't have to figure all of that out on my own. What I do have to figure out is where everything else goes. The goal is as little noise as possible.

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

That is an excellent job,even the resistor color codes are all oriented the same way which makes them easy to read when trouble shooting.You have every right to be proud of it,hope it works as good as it looks for you.Ron G

i386

Captain

Thanks guys! Here's a few more pics.:)

I'll have some details about that last pic soon. It's a power distribution board. If it works, it'll make the ugly end of the amp not so ugly. If not, it's $20 worth of parts and about 10 hours down the crapper.

flargin

Chief Petty Officer

You should add this to Hack-a-day or Instructables. good work.

i386

Captain

Two more additions...

final.jpg

Distortion pedal. More photos here.

DSC04906.jpg

Overdrive pedal. More photos here.

Etched my own circuit boards this time... It's a really neat process involving a laser printer, magazine paper, copper clad board, muriatic acid and hydrogen peroxide. Still perfecting the finishing/painting process, but they look good enough to step on I reckon.

DSC04434.jpg

The amplifier is working out nicely. I found a really nice piece of 1x12 pine with no knots in it. That'll be the frame for the cabinet it goes in. The plan is to cover it in original Fender tweed and put a nice brown leather handle on top. It's old school tech made the old school way. Might as well finish it that way too.

I'm shooting for something similar to this:

twdhd2.jpg

This is my excuse for not working on my boat yet.:D

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I want to congratulate you on your work!That is sure to be very rewarding to you.
One of the new dimensions of fabrication and repair these days is the ability to document your work both for satisfaction and reference.
I take pictures of just about everything I work on these days,cameras,audio equipment,mechanical repairs,whatever.My favorite camera for closeups is the Nikon CoolPix 900 series like the 950/990 etc.Their macro capability is second to none and the ability to be able to aim the lens in a different direction than the LCD for viewing makes them excellent for shooting closeups.Their lenses are superb and the results show it.MegaPixels are fine but if you do not have the lens the end results suffers.
I have several of each now,bought and repaired and will never be without at least one of them.Ron G

i386

Captain

Thanks. I'm really enjoying working on this stuff and learning a lot in the process.

My camera is a Sony Cybershot. I forget which model. It's the 7.1 megapixel one. But more importantly it's got good Zeiss glass in it.

Take a look at this one then click the magnifying glass. Those tube sockets are smaller than a quarter. I bet you can find the solder joints that needed some attention.:)

ThumbPkr

Petty Officer 1st Class

It is very easy to be critical.It appears that all your joints have been wetted properly so I would not expect any cold or high resistance joints there.
When tying two adjacent pins together it sometimes looks neater and less cluttered if you can just use some excess lead from another componant that you have trimmed to fit.I have a special container that I collect all my excess leads for use elsewhere.They make nice extensions for scope probes or meter probes to reach those special places and you will find yourself using them to bridge burnt traces on a circuit board.
I have a few Sony CyberShots that I have repaired,a couple of DSC-V1s which are 5.1mp and they also have the Carl Ziess lenses.They are impressive to say the least.It is hard to justify a film camera any more with the offerings on the market these days and these are just point and shoot varieties which are no match by any means for the SLRs out there now.
I just put together an CyberShot DSC W55 for my lady,a nice pink one and it is 7.2mp....breathtaking for its size.Sony got off to a poor start but they have a great product line these days.Some are better than others as we have seen:))Ron G