Kid has a BB in his eye . . .

QC

Supreme Mariner
. . . oh, never mind, it came out . . . :eek:

True story that has not quite ended yet. Kids are out of school today, so a very good friend of ours' kid (Austin, 14) spent the night last night. For no apparent reason other than possibly to gross me out, Austin showed me this round white bump on the outside corner of his left eyeball (yes, I know a ball does not have corners, but work with me here K?). A little red around it, but really just a half of a perfect little sphere, all white. So I asked him what happened and he said his brother and he were play fighting and that he got hit in the eye. So, "OK, better get that looked at" . . .

Then this morning . . . he's talking to me again and says, "I gotta tell you something more about my eye". He goes on to explain that what really happened was that he was over at our house a week ago and the kid across the street shot him in the eye with a BB gun. Apparently Austin was sticking his head out of an upstairs window at my house and the kid across the street (Spencer) literally shot him from around 150 ft. away in the eye. Well I'm thinking, "ya know, that little sphere in is eye is just about the size of a BB . . . and now it's looking a little like more greyish . . . hmmmmmm . . . nah."

So, I got elected by Austin and Mrs. QC to call his Mom to tell her the truth :rolleyes: I made the Mom (Chere) promise not to freak out, and then told her what had really happened. She made it through alright, but then was freaking out about getting him to the doctor etc. Annnnd, of course I also got elected to tell Spencer's Dad (Mike). He'll be home tonight, good guy. We have been boating together and camping although we don't spend much time with them. He'll be cool and he'll also deal with Spencer properly.

Soooooo, then Mrs. QC and Chere decide that Austin should come home. Well as they are pulling away, I hear the car stop and then Mrs. QC yells into the garage, "a BB just came out of Austin's eye" :eek: :D So I go take a look and sure as ship, he was rubbing his eye slightly and the damn thing just popped out and rolled down his pants leg to the floor. The eye now has a little crater, and I'd bet a reasonable chunk of change that it would completely heal and nothing more would need to be done. Of course I won't get the chance to find out . . .

What is amazing is the kid has been going to school, doing his homework, watching TV, and I assume blinking. And nothing . . . the whole time with a BB IN HIS FLIPPIN' EYE :confused: :D I'll see if I can get you guys a picture. I so wish I had a before, but maybe I'll get an after . . .

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Re: Kid has a BB in his eye . . .

Put the BB back in so you can get us a before picture too! LOL! :D

"You'll put your eye out, kid" - The Christmas Story.

-BWR

mphy98

Lieutenant

I would still get him to an ophthalmologist just to be sure. You only get 1 set of eyes and infection could set in even with the BB out. Just like shrapnel, the BB worked its own way out, but just be safe, get it looked at.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, he's going today. I just got off the horn with Chere again. I was just thinking that if he didn't go that it would probably completely heal itself, but he'd go if he was my kid for sure.

I told my boys that everything that I told you about BB guns isn't true. Go ahead, you can shoot each other in the eye and nothing bad happens :eek: LOL

jbjennings

Captain

That's an eye-opening story, alright!
:redface:
Anyway, thank goodness it wasn't one of those fancy-shmancy high-powered bb guns! ----frightening!

If my dad were the shooter's dad, you could here me screaming in the next state from the "reminder" I would get, along with the cracking of the bb gun as it went into little pieces!

WOW! crazy and painful sounding story....
JBJ​

QC

Supreme Mariner

He never said a word about any pain . . . ???

QC

Supreme Mariner

he was rubbing his eye slightly and the damn thing just popped out and rolled down his pants leg to the floor
This line is cracking me up. To be clear, the BB popped out, not his eye . . . LOL

Tyme2fish

Commander

Definitely see MD for opthalmic antibiotic and maybe anti-inflammatory medication, just to be on the safe side. Maybe the shooter's dad could pay for the exam and meds.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Maybe the shooter's dad could pay for the exam and meds.
Yeah, that's what we're thinking . . . I'm pretty sure that Spencer is 17, and he's been in a little trouble before, but nothing serious. This is probably his worst stunt, and even though it is serious, it could've happened to most of us that ever messed around with stuff we shouldn't have. I shot my little brother in the butt with a BB gun when he was around 7 and I was 13. Told him that a bee stung him :redface:

aspeck

Staff member

I was going to ask for clarification about what popped out, but you gave that ... thanks! :p

I remember getting shot all the time when I was a kid ... by brothers used me for target practice ... but they made me put on a heavy coat and shot at that. The last time they hit me in the leg and hand ... that stung like crazy (I was about 7 at the time). Ran in crying to mom ... that was why it was the LAST time! :D

Amazing story there, QC ... 150 feet (50 yards), with a bb gun! Unbelievable! Spencer must be a heck of a shot and knows his windage and dropping with the gun! The Marines better start recruiting him for sniper duty!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Where is that BB gun game that was posted before Christmas.... it was safe.

Wow QC never a dull moment glad everyone is okay...... now what's your little brother's email addy? I am sure he would like to know :)

I recall the neighbor kid who was about 14 came running to our house to find his mother because a bb gun fight put a bb deep into his gum. Another kid near by later lost one eye to a BB. When my kid was about 8 he had a play pop gun. Because he was play shooting at some much older kids down the street they thought it was ok to "shoot back: and started shooting bbs at him. I quickly went and stoped them and heard their reasons. I told them it was illegal to even shoot a bb gun in the city and IF I EVER SAW THEM WITH THEM AGAIN i would quickly have the police out here. Solved the problem.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I delivered the news to Mike and both sets of parents are talking now. We'll see . . .

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

my sister got hit on the lip, from a ricochet off a tree, boy did that bleed.

LadyFish

Admiral

My brother used to shoot at my legs and say "Dance". One stuck in my knee and was there for years.

Kids and BB guns are dangerous without parental supervision.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

they are no fun, with parental supervision, especially my mother, after my sis got hit.

getinmerry

Petty Officer 1st Class

Everyone is missing the point. This is what kids do nowadays.

Around this area, BB guns have taken the place of paint ball guns. The parents are arming their children with high-power Co2 powered BB guns and face masks, then send them out into the neighborhoods to shoot at each other-no joke. My cousin is one of these people.

He has a 13 year old boy and an 11 year old boy. Both are armed with $300 BB guns and tubs of hard plastic BBs. They both belong to neighborhood leagues that meet each day at a different house and shoot each other. My cousin and his wife have already paid out hundreds of dollars of restitution to homeowners that were caught in the crossfire and lost windows, had holes put in vinyl siding, and other assorted property damage from these delinquints shooting each other for fun.

My cousin and his wife are as liberal as they come. The oldest boy has no respect for the gun (or anything for that matter). He's shot 100's of holes in the walls of his bedroom, shot their dog in the rear at point blank range, and will sneak attack the younger boy when he's sleeping, pooping, and watching tv. He thinks it's funny and the parents don't do anything about it. I told my wife, they're going to get sued because of this kid and loose their $500,000 house because he's never been taught proper respect for the gun.

My daughter has been around guns all of her life. She has been taught proper respect. This spring, she is signed up for a gun safety course that I'm going to take with her. I don't care what kind of a gun it is, it's still a dangerous weapon if not handled properly. My cousin and his wife look at these guns as toys and don't comprehend the very real possibility of serious injury or even death to their sons or others. I hope the kid that shot the kid in the original post gets taught a lesson by the parents.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I gott'a ask. So was it a Red Ryder??
I haven't seen it. Somebody was saying it was an airsoft plastic BB, but I saw it and it was metallic, however, it was more silvery than the typical copper colored BB.

Oh, and maybe more like 100 ft. aspeck's notes made me look it over again. Austin was about 15 ft. up and about 40 ft. back from the street. Spencer was on the sidewalk across the street. Typical tract home type street with sidewalks. Someone said something about a Grassy Knoll, but I am disregarding that . . .

Everyone is missing the point. This is what kids do nowadays
Well maybe with Airsoft stuff, but around here no real BB guns. They definitely were having planned Airsoft wars for a while. Nobody else was armed in this deal.

Mike and Spencer went over to the house last night. They are paying medical bills and Spencer had to talk with the parents (Rob and Chere). At one point earlier flippin' Rob (POS) was talking about pressing charges. Luckily I got to Mike first and gave him a synopsis of the whole deal before Rob came out swinging and turned this into a bigger mess than it already is. We'll see, but I think everybody is satisfied.

The Doctor of course got Chere worked up about how lucky he was, and also suggested they press charges, so there was a day where all of the emotions were building. Hopefully it has mellowed now. While people obviously need the law involved in some matters, I draw the line higher than this incident. With that said, I am not sure how I would feel if he lost the eye. Gray area for me as the only difference is a half inch. Why does a half inch change how the Perp should be treated? His actions are the same. In fact I have always wondered why Attempted Murder was a lesser crime than Murder. The only difference is the person lived? Why does that change the crime?