whats the model # and year?

rgruetter

Cadet
I just got a johnson 9.5 sea-horse When I started to look for the model # to my dismay it was painted over. Is there any other way to find this information out? Also how hard is it to replace the magneto cam for this motor?

Thanks for the help I am new to this forum and outboards, so far I have learned a lot.
Roy

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: whats the model # and year?

The 9.5s were built 1964-73 with very few changes, and most of those were the second year of production. Can't you scrape the paint off the model #?

The cam just lifts off the shaft once you remove the flywheel. Have you seen it? Just wondering why it needs replacing.

rgruetter

Cadet

the magneto cam is cracked. I tried to gently rock it but it's not moving.

I'm afraid if i try to scrape the paint it will destroy the numbers. I think I will try some mild paint remover.

thanks Roy

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Check the engine block, top just behind the cylinder head; there should be a nickel-sized welch plug with the model number on it.

rgruetter

Cadet

I just looked and there is a silver plug with the number J3580668
could that be it?

ezeke

Supreme Mariner

Unfortunately that is just the serial number specific to your motor. A dealer can look that up for you and get the model number.

It is probably 1972 [edit] they did not use the magneto cam on the 1973 9.5.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Cracked cams are sometimes caused by somebody over tightening the flywheel nut, (like with an impact wrench) forcing the flywheel down on the taper too far. If bad enough, it will crack the flywheel too. That's one reason I keep preaching to use a torque wrench and tighten the nut to specs. (40-45 ft/lbs.

Go ahead and pry the old one off, it's broken anyway. Make sure the new one slides on easy. The key might be buggered up, causing the cracking.

That model number should be stamped into the plate, not printed.

EDIT: I can tell you that serial # 2882047 is a 1968 and 3669313 is a 1972, so yours falls somewhere in between those. Doesn't matter, the cam is the same for all of them.