Electrical output of an 88' Merc 60 hp

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm in process of putting a 1988 60hp merc 3cyl on my 17' Alumacraft bass rig. I would like to ad a little stereo to the boat. :rolleyes:Would it be possible/worthwhile to add a battery switch and second battery to this motor so in case i use the stereo too long and kill the battery....?
Thanks,
TB

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Electrical output of an 88' Merc 60 hp

Thanks... I guess i should also ask if the 60 has enough electrical output to charge a battery in a fair amount of time or is it a sloooow trickle charge?
TB

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

If you have a starting battery with a higher reserve and MCA numbers you don't need a second battery and the engine will keep that battery topped off with normal boat operation even if you run the stereo for a couple hours. Adding a second battery means you now have one great big one as far as the engine is concerned so it may not keep either one topped off even with a fairly long run. If you don't go nuts with your stereo (high power amps and such) a good starting or dual purpose battery is all you need and you avoid the complexity of the switch. Since you have a bass rig, does it not already have a second battery for the troller?

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Since you have a bass rig, does it not already have a second battery for the troller?

Yes it does... I should be able to use that battery as my second. Can i use the switch to use the troll battery to start in case of emergency and also charge the troller if needed? I assume (uh-oh, i assumed) that directions for doing this will be included in purchasing the switch. Will I have to use heavy guage (4 or heavier) to run all the way up front to the troller or can i use something a littler lighter like 10 guage? I know this sounds maybe a little ignorant but this is my first "real" boat....

Thanks up front... TB

Laddies

Banned

The 60 HP was a 9 amp system in till 1990.

Maddoxsdaddy

Petty Officer 1st Class

Cool... that's alot better than the 1979 40hp that used to be on there.

Thanks for the input...
TB