Transom Adapter ?

starsnstripers

Lieutenant
Re: Transom Adapter ?

Nice, Did you do that yourself? Looks like the stern of a factory Winner or a Bertram. Their made like that from the factory for some reason. Strength, probably.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Yes Don, :redface: They did offer one at one time though, correct? Wonder why they discontinued them? The volvo to merc ones are 7-900 bucks. You know how much they could make selling those things? And it's good for Mercruiser. I might need one someday!

They probably stopped making them because today, the boats that would need them are simply not worth the work and cost to do it.

25+ year old boats usually get cut up into little pieces and ground up.

The tiny fraction of them that might be worth repowering get new transoms.....but it's not worth it for a company to have a production run of something that would end up on ebay selling for a fraction of the cost to manufacture it....

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral

transom adapter:
IMG_2546.jpg

180shabah

Rear Admiral

HS - nice universal adapter, but will it work to replace a 496 with turbocharged 470........with thru-hull exhaust........and an automatic startron injection system.......and........

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HS - nice universal adapter, but will it work to replace a 496 with turbocharged 470........with thru-hull exhaust........and an automatic startron injection system.......and........

Howards adapter will work for the 496, but not the 470 .............

It's not explosion proof :p

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Of the 1/2 Dozen or so refits I've done,...
I use the same exact adapter as Howard....

$100. worth of wood,+ glass,.... or $1100.00 worth of adapter that doesn't fit,...
That's a pretty Simple choice to Me....

Btw,....
Those cast aluminum adapters for $1100.00 is what my Bud, Bobby used to swap his TRS's to Bravos....
That's $3300.00 for Triples,....
To Me,.. That's Fuggin' Crazy,... But Hey,.. It's His party........:rolleyes:
I even offered to do My $100. Fix,.....

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Yeah you have a point there. the one plate i found for a volvo to Merc was 899.00 thats still to high like most parts. should be like a 300.00 part. the one i was interested in as well as a bunch of others isn't available for any amount so it's Ply/Fg or a fabricated one. thats life in the boating world.

Bondo

Staff member

the one i was interested in as well as a bunch of others isn't available for any amount so it's Ply/Fg

Ayuh,.... Once to do the 1st one,... You'll see more Value in old classic hulls powered by OMGs....

Here's a Tip for ya,...
Cut an oversized section of the transom fiberglass hull piece out of a Donor Hull....
Then you can either cut it to fit,+ glass it into the Keeper Hull, or use it as a Template for doing other hulls....

mthieme

Captain

Nice, Did you do that yourself? Looks like the stern of a factory Winner or a Bertram. Their made like that from the factory for some reason. Strength, probably.

I would like to claim credit, but the gentleman's father who I bought the boat from had it done. The boat came originally with an straight 6 and a stringer. After twenty years he had it repowered with a 4.3 and the Cobra. (And now I've put another twenty years on it!) The transom work was done to accomodate the new setup. The inside is glassed over evenly so I can't really say exactly what was done.
Bertram makes a good boat. Maybe the guy who actually did the work had them in mind (?).

starsnstripers

Lieutenant

Nice job! Bondo thats a good idea to get a template, but i dont know about fitting it into the OMC hole and just glassing it(me doing it) haha. I'd be afraid it would crack at the seam. I would have to plate across (around the seam) the insert piece and the transom, screw/bolt it and then glass it over like Mthieme has there. Well hopefully i'll never have to tackle that job. But i would if i find the right boat and it happens to have a gapping OMC hole in it!

Bondo

Staff member

I'd be afraid it would crack at the seam.

Ayuh,...
You use a router to step the transom wood if the wood is Solid,....
If Not,...
The New transom plywood will be doing All the work,+ the fiberglass skin(1/4") will be bonded with Epoxy,..
It'll Never go anywhere...

Don S

Head over to the Restoration forum and ask about rebuilding a transom. They have talked about it many times. It may sound intimidating, but once you figure out what has to be done, it's not that bad a job.
Itchy and Stinky, and MEGA HEADACHS are the reasons I don't mess with it anymore.

Cptkid570

Ensign

This may be an odd question, but if you were to do this and transom is that much thicker, would there be issues with the driveshaft reaching all the way to the engine coupler?

Don S

There is a minimum and maximum thickness for the transom.

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

The Idea is to end up at 2".....
But,...
You can get by with anything from 2" to 2, 1/4"....
Provided both surfaces are absolutely Parallel...