Nauticus XS Trim Tab issues

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer
So, my port side trim tab broke at the end of last season and I have been forgetting to get this taken care of. The top pivot point has plastic threads in it, and one day toward the end of last season, the gas cylinder poped out of it. I am guessing this is because of the pressure pushing up on it stripped the threads.

Anyway, how do I get a replacement part for this, and how to I keep it from happening again? It made the boat pitch up very high on the starboard side... it was almost scary.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Nauticus XS Trim Tab issues

their service is excellent,
Nauticus, Inc
8080 Snowville Rd.
Brecksville, OH 44141
Toll Free: 800-233-0194
Fax: 440-746-1291
info@NauticusInc.com

Office hours:
M-F 8:30am - 5pm EST

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

We will see. Just called them and got an aswering machine.

After they broke and I saw how they were constructed, I am less than impressed. So, we will see how this goes.

Thanks for the info.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Speak with John, the owner. Service is the best, so don't knock it based on the answering machine. it's a small company. After you see how much they charge you for replacement parts plus shipping then report beck here as to the service.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

I made no comment good or bad about their service, just that I got an answering machine.

Their service may be ther best in the world, but I don't know yet.

However, like I said, after seeing the failure mode I am less that impressed on the construction. I am a mechanical engineer and the materials they chose to use was not the best choice for the forces involved. That is all I know currently.

That is why I am saying, we will see how this goes.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

Been a few days... still nor return call.

nlain

Commander

Something is wrong, that is not the way they do things, call back, they will take care of the problem.

tashasdaddy

i don't know what is going on, i know their service is better than this. i have sent a personal email to the owner. with a link to this thread.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Kyle f;

I have just checked our log and spoken with our tech and we do not have a record of your call. Needless to say I am sorry for both your problem and difficulty in getting a response from us. Please send me an email to john@Nauticusinc.com with your contact information or call us at either 800-233-0194 or 440-746-1290.

We will make sure you are satisfied and comfortable that the problem is resolved.

I can not comment on the problem until I get more information which may include a picture of the installation. This has nothing to do with you efforts and if you installed the trim tabs correctly, it has to do with the hull shape, and were the forces may be on the trim tabs.

Since the introduction of this product in the spring 2007 we have sold thousands of sets, and we have made modifications to the early design because we experienced some failures that I thought were unacceptable even in rough water situations. These modifications occurred in September of 2007, and they have reduced the failures to less than one percent (1%).

When this company was started there were two things that I set in concrete regarding our customers; one was that we would answer the telephone with a real live warm-blooded person anytime we were in the building, and two, we insure that our customers service and customer satisfaction was as good as possible without compromise.

So far we seen to have failed you and ask that you give us the opportunity to make good.

tashasdaddy

26 minutes response time. that is the kind of service Nauticus, provides.

thanks, John.

tmh

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Yeah, I had sent john the link to this thread also. GREAT RESPONSE.

If you have and issue with a company and leave a message and they don't get back to you in a day or two, c'mon ..... pick up the phone and call them again before posting about their lack of response! Calls can get lost, mistakes made - whatever. Give people a chance to do a good job for you rather than "catching them" not doing so.

Some cuatomer service at companies certainly isn't what it used to be. but often i think folks are looking for reason to complain rather than looking to get their issue resolved fairly.

btw, Nauticus service is SO good, i worry they may not have the margins t make money!!! I had an issue a year ago and couldn't believe their response - "we are sorry sir, the part has been redesigned, what address should we send the upgraded part to". THAT WAS IT. NOT "when did you buy it - it may be out of warranty". No looking for blame, no nothing - just "where should we send it".

nlain

Commander

I also sent John the link to this, it would appear we all did it about the same time. We knew that something had happened for you to not get a response.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

I am very grateful that we have customers who appreciate our efforts, and even more grateful for those who help us stay on top of things when something seems to have gotten off track.

I must also say that I do not think the way treat our customers is anything more than what we are obligated to do. You give us your hard earned dollars, we give you a product that performs as we advertise. That's the deal! No glamor, no glory, just the deal! If you bounce a check (figure of speech) we expect you should make it good. If we let you down in any way, we make it good. That's the deal!

Frankly I think it is sad when keeping your part of the "Deal" is considered good customer service (from the manufacturers view point). It means that there are too many who don't respect the "deal".

I will say that too few people go to the source (manufacturer) to resolve their problems. Don't be afraid to get on the telephone and call the customer service department of any company.

Why do we strive to be good at customer service - it is just good business. It goes way back to the old saying that "it take 10 attaboys to make up for one awh schucks", and in this day of instant communications it may be 100 attaboys.

Thanks for the support and attaboys! I think we are up to three.

nlain

Commander

John, you are quite welcome for the attaboy from me, you do have a great product and you do support your product, as you have said, that is the deal. I have the stainless steel tabs and when a gas cylinder went bad, I called and you sent me another one without any problems or questions, I could not ask for any better service.

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

First, I would like to say thanks for provinding me with the contact info, it made it very easy to get ahold of them.

Secondly, I would like to repeat what I said above... I made no previous comments to good or bad service.

Third, my comment of no return phone call was just an update, and I was certainly not trying to "catch" anyone with poor service. It's the last thign I want to receive, and I don't like to complain. I like to get things resolved without getting upset.

Now, with that out of the way... its been a while since I have been on this board because the boat was the last thign on my mind. Lots of things going on at work, hours cut back, wife pregnant, looking for a different style boat... all kinds of stuff.

I called today and spoke with someone, didn't catch a name, but it wasn't John. Reguardless, the person on the other end of the phone was very helpful, nice, and very attentive to my issue.

Why the message was lost, not really an issue a this point.

So, the end result is... I will be gettign the defective upper mount point replaced and shipped to me free of charge. The failure that made me less than impressed by design (I am a Mechanical Engineer) has been re-designed the way I would have. With a Steel insert for the threaded area instead of plastic.

So, great customer service, on going improvement to product, and a no hassle replacement of failed components when a design flaw has been recognized. Can't beat that.

This is important to me because I just traded in my boat on another. This time around its a wake/ski boat that will not need trim tabs. However, my old boat is currently in posession of a friends boat dealership. I want the next owner of the boat to be happy with it and be happy with the dealership. Having a trim tab on there that I know will fail is not a good way to insure either. So, I am doing this to fix the tabs before they sell the boat. I explained this to Nauticus, and they understand. Because, reguardless of what happens, their name is still on the product and don't want it to fail on the next person. So, they are making things right even though they know I am not in posession of the boat anymore.

How about that? Can't beat in in my opinion. :cool:

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

... kyle,

is this where your failure occured? i am looking to install my tabs here very soon and have a call into them to see the best placement. but it looks like the same stripping has occured to the plastic actuator bracket that you mention because it pulls off.

Attachments

• tab.jpg
    tab.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0
  • tab1.jpg
    tab1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 0
  • tab2.jpg
    tab2.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 0
  • chine.jpg
    chine.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 0

kyle f

Chief Petty Officer

... kyle,

is this where your failure occured? i am looking to install my tabs here very soon and have a call into them to see the best placement. but it looks like the same stripping has occured to the plastic actuator bracket that you mention because it pulls off.

Yes, the part you have seperated is what happened to mine. Give them a call back, and they will fix you right up.

I believe on mine the cylinder male thread is steel, but the top female is plastic. The Femal Portion stripped out. As I said above, they have redesigned this to have a steel insert.

Jdeagro

iboats.com Partner

Kyle & AZLakes;

We Have made a number of changes over the past 20 months to improve the product. Although failures were not excessive when looking at the entire sales volume (about 3%), I do not want any. If you are the one with a problem then the ratio is 100%.

We did extensive testing of the end fittings, and they held up well, however in the secondary operation of tapping the threads, we discovered that the fixture/tooling had been changed (accidentally) and they were not tapped all the way to the bottom. The immediate change was to 100% QC all end fittings.

At this point I feel confident that we have solved the problem
AZ; Call me for sure 800-233-0194.

Kyle;

Thank you for the post, and I like your concern for the next owner. You have my assurance that we will treat him as well if required.

180shabah

Rear Admiral

John delivers again.

BTW I need to hit you up for advise on an install (if I ever get the time).

azlakes

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Kyle & AZLakes;

We Have made a number of changes over the past 20 months to improve the product. Although failures were not excessive when looking at the entire sales volume (about 3%), I do not want any. If you are the one with a problem then the ratio is 100%.

... thanks go out to John at Nauticus, Inc for the attention to this issue. received the new end fittings, they went on much more secure.

... big thanks to Kyle for speaking out and posting up!

regards,
az