Boater's World Bankruptcy

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Boater's World Bankruptcy

In reading some other articles about this I've come to find out that Boater's World is apparently owned by Ritz Camera (also in bankruptcy). What a weird combination of businesses. And apparently they couldn't run either of them well. On the one blog where I read about this, people were also complaining about Ritz Camera's customer service.

drewmitch44

Lieutenant Commander

That first link was Ritz Camera place. Thats not a boating site. Whats that all aboot?

TheWoodCrafter

Chief Petty Officer

If you read further into that first link Ritz Camera owns Boaters World.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Great minds think alike! I may take a ride this afternoon and see whats up.

If its anything like the circuit city bankruptcy sales, be prepared to be disappointed. A whopping 10% off and now you have something that you cannot return -- the same thing bought off the internet would match that price and it would not be "all sales are final".

I hope you find better than this.

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

as nlain stated here in savannah we deal with BW
when you must have it today then you go to WM
most purchases get done on the net
Mike

Al MUrray

Recruit

By the way there are two other companies with similar names that are not part of the Boaters World bankruptcy.

Boat Owners Warehouse

and

Boat Owners World
www.boatownersworld.com

They are completely independent companies. Boat Owners World discounts like
Boaters World did.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

i went to my local BW store 2 weeks ago for my trailer lights. storewide clearance, and they confirmed they are closing because Ritz Camera is filing, but keeping only the camera stores open. I got my LED lights for about 30 bucks off. it sucks, because they were always way more helpful and cheaper than the local WM, which is a few more miles down the road. sad to see it happen. I like one other huge store if i have to order something from a catalog, but i wont take away from iboats by mentioning lol.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

I visited the BW here in Grand Rapids Saturday. It was a zoo. A lot of people were leaving empty handed. I figured I might as well stock up on commodity items that I had to buy anyway.

The deals weren't very good. 10% off regular prices on most stuff. 20% off ropes and line. 20% off paint & fiberglass supplies. These were essentially regular sale prices....just low enough that it made sense to buy a few things.

I was surprised how little selection there already was. A lot of the common items were already out of stock.

I have a list of a few things I forgot that I am going to go back to check on.

I will miss Boater's World.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

I went there yesterday and, like you, didn't see any great deals. I actually had an impeller to return (bought 4 months ago, heh) which cost me $39 and they had the price marked up to $69 for the same impeller. What a rip off! If I was less honest, I would have returned it without the receipt!

Did buy a few things I needed and some which are just not worth buying online ($3 part, $9 shipping, etc).

I will miss having a (semi-)local store, but I can't say I'll miss the prices there. The people there are nice, though. Sorry to see them lose their jobs.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

So, you were actually able to return something?

I was under the impression that they were not accepting any returns. I know that anything you buy now has a no return, no refund, no exchanges policy.

There was a guy that had bought a few things and a shirt he bought didn't have a price tag on it. After he paid he realized the shirt was more expensive than he expected. (He could have simply asked what the price was before he paid) He was making a scene on the phone with his wife etc. because the guys working couldn't accept the return. The cashier finally blew up at him and told him to leave. The stress of the situation visibly got to the cashier. It is unfortunate. He is a nice guy who has helped me more than once when I had shopped there before.

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

There is a local Boaters World store in Bradenton, Florida.
It was a great place - close and the prices were pretty good.

Anyone know any specifics on whether or not this store is going to close??

RickV1955

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Also, would anyone know of any decent Boat store in that same general area?? (Sarasota, Bradenton, Palmetto, etc...)

Thanks,

Rick

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

The same Liguidator that handled Circuit City is closing the BW shops. Looks like everything was marked up then discounted 10%. I made a comment that even in a close out they are overpriced and the Liquidation manager said. "As long as they are buying it I ain't going to mark it down. At which time I responded. "I don't mind paying more to support local business but I refuse to allow you to profit off of my dime."

I will not be buying anything from them. Hate to see them go though. It was nice to have a local source if I needed something.

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

Looks like everything was marked up then discounted 10%.

No. I don't think things were intentionally marked up. From what I could tell of all of the things I bought and many that I looked at, the regular sticker price was the starting point. Those sticker prices were unaltered from either the MSRP of items or from the BW price tag. The thing is, many times you could get pretty good sales on items so the sticker price didn't really matter.

And to answer RickV's question...Yes, all Boater's Worlds are closing.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

I was under the impression that they were not accepting any returns. I know that anything you buy now has a no return, no refund, no exchanges policy.

There was a guy that had bought a few things and a shirt he bought didn't have a price tag on it. After he paid he realized the shirt was more expensive than he expected. (He could have simply asked what the price was before he paid) He was making a scene on the phone with his wife etc. because the guys working couldn't accept the return. The cashier finally blew up at him and told him to leave. The stress of the situation visibly got to the cashier. It is unfortunate. He is a nice guy who has helped me more than once when I had shopped there before.

when i bought my lights and a few other things, i was told all sales are final now, no returns or exchanges. The lights i got said 10% off, but it was waay more than that when i got to the register. I was sooo happy i just smiled and walked out lol. The employees really did go out of their way to help customers though. i have taken my boat down there and the guy jumped in my boat and was tryin to help me fit some stuff before i bought the wrong one. great guys, you dont get that at WM, thats for sure. not the one out here, anyways.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

The guy at the register was the same person I've talked with before and apparently made an exception for me. Apparently they are allowed, just not 'encouraged' to. I was actually expecting a store credit, but he credited my card.. so I went and bought a new VHS radio anyhow :)

rrhodes

Chief Petty Officer

No. I don't think things were intentionally marked up. From what I could tell of all of the things I bought and many that I looked at, the regular sticker price was the starting point. Those sticker prices were unaltered from either the MSRP of items or from the BW price tag. The thing is, many times you could get pretty good sales on items so the sticker price didn't really matter.

And to answer RickV's question...Yes, all Boater's Worlds are closing.

I still don't consider 10% off a going out of business sale.

KurtG

Petty Officer 1st Class

I went in our BW on Sat while wife was in an adjoining dress shop. It was a mess (blocked aisles, etc.) but better than being in the dress shop. Not much I was interested in, but I left with 30% off tube of 4200 and some wet sandpaper, both a couple bucks less than other places.

thepotroast

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I went to the local BW over the weekend while the wife was in Starbuck's next door. Hoping to score some things I really didn't need but would buy if the price was right, I also noticed that basically everything was 10% off with the exception of some clothing, which was up to 40% off. Not much of a sale at all if you ask me. The place looked thrashed, I couldn't even go down the shoe aisle....forget it, the store was reminiscent of a Ross or Marshalls (or any other closeout retailer where associates don't care to clean up).

Truly sad, I was just in there the other weekend before this announcement, and the store looked very nice, as usual. It felt like a garage sale inside. Not worth the 10% at all.... :rolleyes: I don't see people flinging things off the racks at department stores when basically everything (now in this economy) is at least 30% off....

I will do my business either online or through some local marine shops. :(