Used boat advice for new boater

My husband and I are looking to buy a used boat that we can use both for towing the kids on tubes and also for fishing, and just for puttering around the lake. I also really like swimming off of a boat, so it needs to be easy to get back into from the water. We have water access on a medium-sized lake in New Hampshire. The boat ramp is very steep and only 12 feet wide. The boat would have to be put in the water each weekend and taken out at the end of the weekend. We own a Honda Odyssey and a Ford Escape. The boat would only have to be towed about 1/4 mile once it's at our lake house, but as I said the ramp is very steep. We don't know if either of our vehicles is up to the challenge! We want to spend between $4,000 - $6,000 dollars. I don't know if we are being realistic or not. Any advice on what might be a good boat for us? Neither of us has ever owned a boat before.

seaman campbell

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Used boat advice for new boater

Welcome to iboats. The quote below is advice tashasdaddy (one of our moderators) gives to those who ask about good buys and what type of boat to buy. Hope this gives you some insight.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

As for your tow vehicle and a steep ramp I doubt if either have what it takes to pull a loaded boat out of the water and up the ramp. You could always find a old beater pickup to launch and recover your boat. Good Luck.

TC

waterman1971

Cadet

Perhaps you could find a pontoon boat at a reasonable price. Nice sized platform, and able to perform all the tasks you have described. This, and less weight than a fiberglass boat with similar roominess.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

I think a 16-18 ft bowrider would be a good start, considering you've never owned before. A boat that size should have enough room and power for doing what you want. Also, most come with a swim platform of some type, if not, they are not hard to add. $4000-6000 is not an unreasonable budget. Check your local dealers for trade-ins or scan Craigslist every couple of days. Post what you find on here.

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

I think a 16-18 ft bowrider would be a good start, considering you've never owned before. A boat that size should have enough room and power for doing what you want. Also, most come with a swim platform of some type, if not, they are not hard to add. $4000-6000 is not an unreasonable budget. Check your local dealers for trade-ins or scan Craigslist every couple of days. Post what you find on here.

I think this advice coupled with TD's look for list is a really good direction to start. One of the biggest problems I've witnessed is that folks tend to jump into too big of a first boat and all the big headaches that comes with that, handling, docking, launching, maintenance....so the boat ends up not getting used, which isn't good either.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander

I would add that it's really important to try any boat out before buying. Preferably with the typical types of loads you will carry once you buy it. Boats come in all sorts of engine and hull variations -- even among boats of similar size -- all of which can have significant impact upon the ride, handling, and ultimately your comfort and enjoyment of the craft. If you are new to boating take a friend with some experience along and always get the hull and engine inspected by a marine surveyor familiar with the type.
Of course, all this is rather hard to do in the dead of winter when deals on boats tend to be at their best but I'd say the importance of a sea trial can outweigh getting a deal on a boat you are surprised you don't like come spring...

We would like a party boat, but the ramp apparently is not wide enough for it. It's on 12 feet wide, and we were told it would not accommodate a party boat.

Bondo

Staff member

We would like a party boat, but the ramp apparently is not wide enough for it. It's on 12 feet wide, and we were told it would not accommodate a party boat.

Ayuh,...

It'd be hard to believe you can't launch or retrieve an 8' wide pontoon boat thru a 12' hole,..??

cribber

Lieutenant

Your Odyssey is rated to pull 3500lbs so having this information in hand and following TD's boat buying advice puts you squarely in the 16 -19 foot range for a fish/ski combo. Good luck and let the experts here help you out with your selection once you find something that catches your eye.

jonesg

Admiral

It happens all the time, newcomers buy first then ask for opinions after the fact, only to find they bought a junker which needs repowering and rebuilding under the decks.

People will lie through their TEETH to get rid of junk, make it look nice and dump it on some unsuspecting newbie.

There are steps you can take to protect yourself, the best is to hire a marine surveyor to inspect before buying, have the surveyor show you what they are looking at, then you can do your own inspections should the purchase fall through. You can also split the cost of the written survey with the seller, especially if you don't buy it. I found a shipwright on craigslist to inspect my boat and engine, cost me $200 for 3 hrs.

The next best method is to have an experienced boater inspect it for you.
A marine dealer is not too bad an option, they get a premium though.
Again, unless the boat they are selling has been surveyed by an independant surveyor, consider it all sales talk, I would want my own survey and expect the dealer to discount the price. Its a buyers mkt, dealers are dyin.

A typical craigslist ad for junk reads thus,
"Hull is very solid, doesn't leak, just needs TLC"
That to me says the boat is probably junk, hulls rarely leak , the problem is on the inside. TLC is code for needing stringers and transom work, to the tune of thousands.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

If that ramp is the only one on lake, then look at boats that are being put in or taken out and what they are driving. 12 feet is more than you need to launch and retreive a pontoon or deck boat. We have some pretty steep downgrades and I see pickups, launch and retrieve pontoons and deck boats, with only 2 wheel drive. I can put in and take out, either of my 19.5 ft. fiberglass boats on a steep "wet" ramp with my S-10, two wheel drive pickup.

waterman1971

Cadet

If that ramp is the only one on lake, then look at boats that are being put in or taken out and what they are driving. 12 feet is more than you need to launch and retreive a pontoon or deck boat. We have some pretty steep downgrades and I see pickups, launch and retrieve pontoons and deck boats, with only 2 wheel drive. I can put in and take out, either of my 19.5 ft. fiberglass boats on a steep "wet" ramp with my S-10, two wheel drive pickup.

I have to agree with you Grego, I too trailered my rig with a small pickup when i purchased it. I was able to launch and land a 19' skeeter on almost all surfaces and inclines. It may be intimidating at first, but with time and experience, it will seem like nothing. Maybe y'all could start out at another landing, until you get more comfortable at the one nearby.

MrPhotographer06

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have to agree with you Grego, I too trailered my rig with a small pickup when i purchased it. I was able to launch and land a 19' skeeter on almost all surfaces and inclines. It may be intimidating at first, but with time and experience, it will seem like nothing. Maybe y'all could start out at another landing, until you get more comfortable at the one nearby.

my grandpa has a good friend with a nice dock and lake access near me.. no fishing .. its a nuclear plant lake thing.. just a good cruizin lake.. but my dads truck and my buddys truck are both stick shift so i'm gunna let my grandpa do it with his automatic surburban

Nandy

Commander

Colleen, welcome aboard! When you find the boat that you think is what you need I will advise you to hire a marine surveyor, if you cant try to fiend a friend that knows, really knows about boats. If you cant get either then try to get with us here and we will try to do our best to help. Resist any impulse buying. Nothing can replace a field inspection but with the use of photos and some background info can help you quite a bit. Dont believe what any seller tells you. Yes, there are honest people out here but beware if the promises are not backed by a writing warranty. Once you are advised that the rig seems to check ok then you need to do a sea trial. Just like a car, you need to ride the boat to get a feeling if it performs as you expect it.

Secondly, you will probably be better buying used which with your budget is the only option you have. Honestly, used is the best option for inexperience users. You wont feel as bad when you make a mistake that will leave a mark. Believe me, we all do. I have been boating since a teenager and owned boats for close to 20 years and still get my boats scratch with some stupid mistake.

As mentioned before, a bowrider in the 16-19 range could be your ticket. Center consoles will give you more open space and but they are geared towards fishing..

Good luck!

ShaneCarroll

Chief Petty Officer

If that boat ramp is only 12' wide, and this is your first boat, may I suggest possibly practicing backing up in an empty parking lot first? Otherwise, you might just be the proud new owner of a dock. I would say for a lake that a 16-18' boat is perfect, bowrider is good, but depending on kids' ages, maybe a cuddy would be better. Your vehicle should tow fine, the issue comes with pulling the boat out of the water, I would only recommend doing it at high tide, and try to get as little of the trailer in the water as possible.

alumi numb

Petty Officer 1st Class

have you given thought to a 16' pontoon.
we rented one at cherokee village ar. and i was impressed.
it only had a 45 hp motor but that did very well.
there is a lot of room for a 16' and handles easy.
that was the first time i ever ran one and had no trouble.
having said that there were only two others on board and both were woman so not a lot of weight.

grego

Petty Officer 1st Class

FIRST[ for me!!!! "marine surveyer" LOL!! never heard of one. and think you will spend more dollars out of pocket to use one. MAN! Look over the boat you want to buy,if it is or is not what you want, a middle man is just that, SOMEBODY THAT GETS PAID FOR DOING NOTHING. MY .02

I agree that it seems like we should be able to put a pontoon boat into the water when the ramp is 12 feet wide, but the association people say no pontoon boats - ramp is too narrow, so I'm stuck with that. I'm not too afraid of learning to tow/back up the boat/trailer, as my dad made me learn to tow his 27' travel trailer when I was younger, in case anything happened to him. I figure if I can do that, I can back up a smallish boat. I will keep looking at craigslist and will try marinas, keeping your advice in mind. I had never even heard of a marine surveyor, will definitely use one. I will post back when we find something we are considering. Thanks for all the responses!

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Again, welcome. Don't know what the previous poster grego is saying....:confused:
There has been lots of good advice given. Also, I towed with an 04 Odyssey for about a year before I got my truck. We put on a class 3 hitch and it towed my car and trailer without any problems. FWD will help at the ramps.
Good luck, and keep us posted. :)