What size eng. needed?

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi i just bought a 17'6" bass boat that i plan on taking on the ocean(in calm days) anyway i want to get a little kicker motor to ensure i dont get stuck out there, so my question is how much thrust does a 2hp motor produce? what size motor will i need to get me home(not neccessarily quick limp home if have to) but will a 2hp do the trick? been looking at 2hp and a new one bout same price as a 6hp that is older. i really dont want to spend more than 3-400 bucks so its gotta be small and/or old

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Re: What size eng. needed?

I won't comment on the bass boat in the ocean, but anything in the 6 to 9.9 HP range will work fine. 2 HP would be almost worthless.

pvanv

Admiral

ondarvr is right on the money. The 2 hp is OK for a canoe, but otherwise just too small. Think of the 2 hp as a gas version of an electric trolling motor.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

old properly maintained, is better than new not maintained.

marquette

Petty Officer 1st Class

i used to put my 2hp johnson on my 17ft crestliner and run it because i wasn't using it much and i felt running it a couple times a summer was better than just leaving it sit. i would say it did about 3hr in the 1/4 mile at WOT. other than making noise it really didn't do much other than provide entertainment for passing canoeists.

rsw21282

Petty Officer 2nd Class

well today i bought a 6hp 87 johnson so hopefully that does the trick, we'll see sunday. and if all else fails the 40lb trolling motor will have to do

coolguy147

Commander

how much? doe sit run .

if it doesnt dont try to run it yet ok make a post in the johnson evinrude forum and tell ur story and everything about the motor. they will help u get it running perfectly