How to properly strap down transom-pics

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer
Please look at post 21 to see better pictures and still kicking ideas around and looking for more ideas before I tow this any farther this year.

When I bought this boat and trailer, the guy that I bought it from said he never used transom straps, he said that if you had to rely on straps, it was already too late. He used to tow it 250 miles one way like this. Since I have had the boat, I have always put 2 straps on it, even towing it 5 miles to the lake. I don't like the way that it is strapped, I know that it is not correct. Any ideas on a better and safer way to strap it down? I have towed this on the interstate at 70 to 75 mph and it doesn't sway. Thanks in advance.

DSC02295.sized.jpg

DSC02297.sized.jpg

Last edited:

75reinell

Seaman Apprentice
Re: How to properly strap down transom-pics

It seems like the trailer is to small for the boat. I am sure other wiser boaters will chime in as I am a newb still.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Yup -- there a couple of things wrong. 1) the straps ideally should pull straight down but in this case there isn't much choice. 2) The straps being used are not very strong. The previous owner obviously relied on gravity to hold the boat on the trailer. Here is an example of what happens when a boat is not tied down properly.

Trailleroops.jpg

If the straps are pulling straight down or slightly backward, that prevents any forward motion of the boat in the event of a collision. In a sudden swerve, the boat can and will roll off the trailer. It is a matter of physics. Ever heard the theory that goes like this: "An object in motion tends to stay in motion".

mthieme

Captain

I agree. Stronger straps and more trailer.
On the rare occasions I take my boats down the road, I use a heavy 3" strap from side to side over the top near the stern. I need to invest in proper straps for the 'Ray, but the smaller boats there is no other option.

ST - does that trailer have a front post? Hard to tell.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

on that set up, ideal is to use the old style over the boat strap. comes from the trailer up and over the boat to the other side of the trailer.

the reason for the strap, state laws, say you must control your load, the want the boat and trailer to stay together, rather than have 2 flying objects. you flip you boat on the highway, no problems and long as the trailer stays with it. so technically the strap is holding the trailer to the boat, rather than holding the boat to the trailer.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Here's a good picture of mine and it's properly set up. http://www.flickr.com/photos/24589494@N00/466420205/

Your strap is way too long to do any good and it's on the side. It should be straight down or nearly. If there are no holes in the trailer to fasten the hooks in. Buy a couple eye hooks and drill holes. You want to keep the strap as straight and short as possible. You might have a problem getting behind your trim tabs?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

he has trim tab and swim platform to deal with.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

The trailer in the picture does have a winch post and the bow of the boat is sitting on top of it. If there was a bow tie down, it ripped loose. Note that there is no damage on the front of the truck. This was simply an emergency stopping event -- no collision. It probably trashed a couple of out drives as well.

I also told a story here some time ago about my dentist dumping his tin fishing (row) boat at an intersection because it wasn't tied down. He had the winch rope attached but the lock was released. Nailed the gas and it rolled off the trailer. A couple of big dudes behind him helped him drop it back on the trailer. Bow safety chain and strong stern tie downs are a must regardless of boat size and weight. I've followed boats of all sizes that aren't tied down in back and on rough roads the stern actually bounces on the trailer. And people can't imagine why they have damage.

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Although that set-up isn't "Ideal" it rarely is. As long as the bow and both stern straps are tight and in good shape, I dont see a problem, put as big a strap as you can, mine are 3 inch. I used to have a boat with tabs and platform in the way. I went towards the drive with my tie downs. the bow on both my boats had/have the ratchet tight as well as a chain hooked to the bow eye. I travel about 8-10 miles to the lake at about 30-50 mph. Cant be too safe.

cbavier

Lieutenant

he has trim tab and swim platform to deal with.

TD I have the swim platform too but not the trim tabs. He is able to route the strap behind the platform in his picture just like I do. His challenge is to skirt the trim tabs.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

Yes it does have a bow post with a winch and a safety chain. I am emailing back and forth with the manufacture to see about specs on the trailer I was thinking about extending the beams in the rear of the trailer and then installing loops thier. I have two holes on each side were the straps are hooked on the trailer. The swim platform and the trib tabs are hard to work around.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Yes it does have a bow post with a winch and a safety chain. I am emailing back and forth with the manufacture to see about specs on the trailer I was thinking about extending the beams in the rear of the trailer and then installing loops thier. I have two holes on each side were the straps are hooked on the trailer. The swim platform and the trib tabs are hard to work around.

Badbowtie did you look at the picture of mine that I posted the flicker link to. Scroll up. The strap goes between the swim platform just like yours does and hooks into a hole on the trailer frame on mine. It must hook to the frame to acheive maxumum strength. You can always add big eye bolts on each side which can by double nutting it extend the bolt out a half inch or so. Even if you have to keep hooking it on the side like your doing if you can get the strap back further on the side which will shorten the strap an dmake it more of a directy anglee it will be safer and more effective. I rest my case.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I did see you'r picture. I talked to the manufacture the trailer is right it is for a 19-22 3250lb boat. Mine is 3000lb and is 20' 6" so I am good their the bottom of my hooks are fastened into a hole that is meant for straping purposes on the frame. But with the boat 16 inches past that point going straight down the back would want to lift the boat not good. I just don't like the straps coming down the side they mark the boat up.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I did see you'r picture. I talked to the manufacture the trailer is right it is for a 19-22 3250lb boat. Mine is 3000lb and is 20' 6" so I am good their the bottom of my hooks are fastened into a hole that is meant for straping purposes on the frame. But with the boat 16 inches past that point going straight down the back would want to lift the boat not good. I just don't like the straps coming down the side they mark the boat up.

My straps don't mark the back of my boat but being solid blue may be the reason. You may have to weld or bolt extentions to the back of the frame on both sides to achieve what your wanting. The only alternative would be to move your winch stand forward but that would shorten your trailer tongue and I'm not sure you would want to do that. 16 inches is a lot. The end of my trailer is slightly under the transom and the center roller is about 1/2 inch under from the very end of the transom so the transom is actually sitting on the roller and the strap is only in about one inch from being exactly straight down. My trailer was built to haul a boat up to 22 ft so by sliding the winch stand back it gave me a tongue of about four feet or longer. The longer the tongue within reason of course makes launch and especially retrieving easier.

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Don't know if this will help but I also have tabs and had to re-route the straps. This is how I did it.

P1070007.jpg

derekpfeiffer

Petty Officer 1st Class

Those retractable straps that Ez Loader puts on their new trailers are the best thing since sliced bread!!!!

AngelC

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Derek agree!! easy and reliable

coolguy147

Commander

Don't know if this will help but I also have tabs and had to re-route the straps. This is how I did it.

P1070007.jpg

pretty funny caution sign with the exhaust poisening and hes sitting there acting like his lungs r on fire

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

I would follow TD's advice and put a stern strap from side to side across the boat to keep it on the trailer. Never cared much for transom straps...to each his own.

cbavier

Lieutenant

I would follow TD's advice and put a stern strap from side to side across the boat to keep it on the trailer. Never cared much for transom straps...to each his own.

The strap does more than just hold the boat on the trailer. It keeps the boat from sliding forward in a panic or sudden stop and it keeps it from sliding back off the trailer in case of collision or sudden take off or on steep inclines. The boat in question is way too big for a side to side strap. The side to side strap works well on small fishing boats but not on a boat his size or mine for that matter. Thats why the factories put the two eye bolts on the transom for.