Grand Haven Michigan

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am considering looking into visiting Grand Haven this year, I was told it is a great boating location, can anyone tell me if its worth looking into or should I stick with what I know?

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant
Re: Grand Haven Michigan

It is a very nice boating destination with many diverse options.

A lot of what you can enjoy depends on the weather and the type of boat you have.

You can of course boat to your hearts content on Lake Michigan if the weather is good. There is Spring Lake for watersports or windyer days. There is also the Grand River which I think you can go several miles up stream. The downtown area of Grand Haven is a nice place and there is plenty of dockage along the sea wall and a the musical fountain in the evenings that is worth staying out late at least once.

The water levels are up over the last year or so. I would guess they have gone up more this winter and will likely come up a little more this spring. It makes it easier to boat worry free.

Dick Sorensen

Petty Officer 2nd Class

One of the nicest harbors on the east side of Lake Michigan. Recommend you do it. Then, if the spirit moves you, head north to White Lake/Muskegon, another great boating destination.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I grew up in small town outside of Grand Rapids and spent most of my summers in Grand Haven. It's a great town! If you want a real adventure, visit during the Coast Guard Festival at the end of August. You'll want to reserve dockage early if you plan to go that route.

JasonCarp

Cadet

Not sure what type of boat you have, but anything less than 17' is a crap shoot on the big lake. Be sure you come prepared for big lake boating with a ship to shore radio, and other Coast Guard recommended safety plans.

If it is flat calm it is great, but it can whip up in a hurry. This is my home port and I love it.

WanabeBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

We have a 20 footer bowrider..will that be okay?..I have heard the lakes up there are rough

RotaryRacer

Lieutenant

A 20' bowrider should be fine for most days. If the waves are big, just don't go out on the big lake. That is one of the nice things about Grand Haven, Holland and Muskegon. There is plenty of boating opportunity on the smaller inland lakes that are conected to the Lake Michigan via the rivers or channels. Even Saugatuck is a nice place to boat if the wind is up...although it is limited to slow speed cruising.

DaNinja

Lieutenant

I think Rotary beat me to it...

A 20 footer is fine for the big lake on most days. We spent alot of time on the big lake in a 21 foot SeaRay. Rolling 3 footers is about the most we (The Admiral:rolleyes:) will put up with.

Are you looking to tow to Grand Haven? If so, there are many options for more sheltered waters when the big lake gets nasty. As mentioned earlier, Muskegon, Holland, Saugatuk, and the Grand River all offer sheltered waters when the big lake isn't safe for small craft. Many "inland" lakes are also available.

All of those ports are great places to visit!