Recommendations on new cheap boat

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Newbie here and i'm looking for a boat under $1000 that needs minor repair and that can also pull a tube and do some fishing.Does anyone have recommendations on what boats to get hp rating and hull type.Inboard/Outboard?

I keep finding rotted deck boats that need stringer repair or need to go to the landfill.I can't beleive people pay thousands of dollars for a boat and don't take care of it.

Thanks in Advance

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Recommendations on new cheap boat

Best way by far to get on the water cheap is to find an aluminum hull with an outboard. Aluminum boats don't have wood stringers so you don't have to worry about them being rotted out. Even if the deck and transom are rotted, replacing them is not a huge deal. Look for a 16-18' aluminum hull with a 60-115 horsepower outboard and you'll be set for any activity you want to do. Check out the picks in my profile to see what I got for a starting price of $200 (I realize that was a screaming deal).

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

your budget just about puts you into an aluminum, 14 foot fishing boat, motor & trailer. anything bigger is going to need repairs. save some more $, a decent boat is going to be in the 3,000 up range.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

Bondo

Staff member

i'm looking for a boat under $1000
I keep finding rotted deck boats that need stringer repair or need to go to the landfill.

Ayuh,....

When you're only willing to Spend Scrap prices,...
You're only going to find Scrap boats....

A Thousand Bucks Won't buy a usable ski boat....

mphy98

Lieutenant

Another suggestion is Rawhide. Go to http://www.rawhide.org/ and check out ebay auctions. I don't know where you are located but they have a bunch in new london wi, and you can buy directly without going through ebay. I have seen a lot of decent boats dropped off at the dealership I work at lately. Some junk, but some great. People just want them out of there yard and do not want to hassle of selling them.

mphy98

Lieutenant

Also on ebay check this old boat out. it is from rawhide but is way cool. ebay number 350147562270 a dolphin sport. never heard of it but the front end is way cool. $895.00 with no bids, you could probably call them and get it for 2 to 3 hundred. or this one as well 270331481494 ebay number, but call rawhide directly. 1-800-729-4433 x 2621 for any sales.

haskindm

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree that the $1000 limit on a boat of the type you are looking for will limit your choices drastically. A boat in good shape and suitable for family activities OF ANY AGE is going to be worth $3-4K. I sold a 20-year-old fiberglass tri-hull with a 20-year-old outboard in great condition to a close friend several years ago for around $3500. He was thrilled to get it and is still using it. Even in today's market I am afraid you are going to need to spend substantially more $ to get anything more than a project boat that will need allot of work to get it back in shape. I know that is not what you want to hear, but it probably is realistic. The marine environment is very harsh and a boat that is not well cared for will deteriorate quickly, so there are a great number of junk boats out there. The ones that are in great shape will bring a premium price.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I don't know about it taking $3-4k. My boat is in great condition but being an older boat and a less desireable closed-bow configuration, I'd be happy if I could get $1500 for it.

Ayuh,....

When you're only willing to Spend Scrap prices,...
You're only going to find Scrap boats....

A Thousand Bucks Won't buy a usable ski boat....

I'm not so sure about that, not in today's economy especially. Look at craigslist daily, check ebay, and the other sites that have been mentioned. Know what your abilities are as far as what kind of things you're willing to fix on the boat.

In my case I got a 15 ft fiberglass fish-n-ski with a 90 HP outboard a little over a year ago for $1500 (granted that's more that the thousand dollars stated in the original post, but there are a lot more motivated sellers right now). I spent a couple of months of spare time fixing her up and now we've got a boat that suits the family very well for fishing , skiing, pulling the kids on tubes, and just cruising around.

I'd say if you can go a little more than a grand you might have a better chance of finding something, but be patient and keep looking.

lucky7

Petty Officer 1st Class

i sold my last boat for 500 bucks and it took months. it was a 1959 corson 16foot with a 1959 jonnyrude 35hp. it looked rough but ran fine for me for several years. the fiberglass must have been an 2 inches thick in spots. pulled the kiddies in the tube fine, certanly got my moneys worth out of it. there are deals out there, check craigs list daily. dont discount an old fiberglas boat. they are not all rotten. old johnsons are stout, they may smoke and be loud, but were built to last for 50 years, and then be simple to rebuild. happy shopping.

txmntman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

In Feb 2008, I bought a 1967 starcraft 14 ft, with a 50HP Evinrude, with trailer, for $700. It was an old aluminum boat, full of leaves, with a floor that was soft. I spent a fair amount of time taking all the wood off the boat, fixing the leaks (seepage mostly), repainting the boat, and making the interior like I wanted it. Overall, it was a great experience! I spent the summer pulling my then 13 year old around a lake on a tube. I have included 2 before pictures and 2 after pictures. There is several good links in the restoration section. That would be my suggestion: Buy an aluminum boat and restore it. I have no above average skills and most work was done with a skill saw, drills, and SS hardware. Feel free to contact me if I can help....

Attachments

• before headon.jpg
    before headon.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 0
  • after top port.jpg
    after top port.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 0
  • after top aft.jpg
    after top aft.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0
  • before interior.jpg
    before interior.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 0

5150abf

Vice Admiral

I agree, your expectations and your wallet aren't quite on the same page.

You can certainly get a boat for a grand but I doubt you can get a boat you can ski behind for that.

You will have to increase your boat fund or decrease your expectations I'm afraid.

Keep looking though you never know what you may run across, especially with things like they are.

tx1961whaler

Vice Admiral

I keep finding rotted deck boats that need stringer repair or need to go to the landfill.I can't beleive people pay thousands of dollars for a boat and don't take care of it.

Reality check time. The reason alot of boats get parked and allowed to rot is that they can be (are) EXPENSIVE to maintain. Not many things are cheap to buy for a boat, and sometimes simple economics and lack of interest take over. Look over the Restoration, Trailering, and Outboard repair sections of this forum. Many, if not most, of those repairs described cost hundreds to thousands to fix. When it comes up that a stator, regulator, and ignition module are bad, that's 600 bucks or more out of somebody's pocket. A carb gets clogged and a piston is trashed; another 500-2000 bucks.

Not to seem too discouraging, but go into this knowing that owning a boat is an expensive hobby in the long run. If you start out with a 1000 budget and a limited repair and upkeep budget, then it is likely that your boat will be the next "landfill queen"

winfan

Seaman Apprentice

B-break

O-out

A-another

T-thousand :eek:

Thats what a friend told me before I brought mine.

Floatsum

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you're close to R.I. I could help you out some maybe.
Know where there's an older Maco, 19' (ish) with a 90 hp Honda.
Runs good, boat in really decent shape. Trailer is a bit if-ish meaning it needs bunks and close scrutiny. Mechanicly sound though.
Biggest problem - UGLY!
Been stored and sitting under a sappy Maple. Basicly needs a good scrubbing.
But,,, are you interested in something in R.I. is the question.

BigB9000

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Im a budget boater myself, the most I have ever spent on a boat was $700
All of my boats I have had to supply my own outboard. All have came with trailers.

Boat #1 $200 + $350 in wood, carpet, glue, fiberglass, seats, and steering:

l_7f377d193ac159a55a1cceb01a603cb8.jpg

Boat #2 Free, with bad outboard. again, + $350 in wood, carpet, glue, fiberglass, seats, and steering

l_0344eac6ebf744a4f306933f80bd3cc5.jpg

l_95bf40f1215b4f819f746049d4ed7322.jpg

And I SHOULD have put good tires on that trailer:

index.cfm

The boat was junk, there was a reason it was free. So I replaced it with a $700 aluminum, which the forums as concluded it may be junk also:

l_a4835bb4f3d04be8a40c332dbe43c345.jpg

If I could go back, and not buy junk boats in hoping to make a decent boat. I would. I would just take the money and buy a good boat.

But live and learn I guess.

sikro

Recruit

Does any one know what the blue and white speed boat is with the 115 on it
Thanks in advance for any help
I found one and can't figure out what it is
Paperwork shows it as a 1969 zing but I've never heard of that and can't find anything on them

Polar_Bus

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I read these types of threads quite frequently. Not just with respect to boating. It's the same type of scenario with anything recreational that needs gas. "I want a $3000 item, for $1000. Sorry to be rude, but sellers are not rock bottom desperate. Yes the economy is bad. However in my experiences if an item is was undervalued in a sale price THERE IS A GOOD REASON! Most sellers are not stupid. When they decide to sell, the of course do their research and price accordingly. Most sellers start high (some riduculously high) and work down. Buyers who have cash always "hope" to snag a super desperate seller and dangle $1000 for an honest $3000 item. Yes, I do ocasionally hear of the "cheap steal" where someone scored a clean, unabused item for short money, but this scenario is not usually the case.. In my experiences, people will quickly spend $2000 on a clapped out POS project item that needs $4000 in repairs, than spend $5000 on a similar clean turn key item.

Just for the record, I currently own 5 motorcycles, 1 snowmobile, 1 boat, 1 shifter race kart. So over the past 20 years I spend a LOT of time buying, rebuilding, learning, then selling....

Steve Mahler

Petty Officer 1st Class

i disagree with most of the negative comments. I too enjoy budget project boats, and if the original poster is up for a lot of sweat equity, you could get it done under a grand. Here in upstate ny, it is easy to find free to $250 older glass bowriders with trailer and usable steering. so from there it is all about finding a good running older outboard, (plus all the fun wood work stringers etc on the interior).

My outboard history goes like this:
1978 Evinrude 70 excellent runner- $350
1976 Chrysler 45 poor runner -$50 plus $250 in repair shop, than excellent
1782 Chrysler 35 excellent - $250
1965 Evinrude 40hp poor runner - $100 plus $100 in home repair
1978 Chrysler 100 good runner $400 plus $100 tuneup

So it can be done, here at least. I recently saw a non-rotted open bow mid-80s boat go for 650 with trailer - real good deal in my book, but happens about once a month around here.