help me decide

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
well i decided to go ahead and just sell my bayliner and replace it with something with either outboards, or a newer and better sterndrive

these are the ones i am trying to decide between:
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/1011948323.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/boa/1012150481.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/boa/1011801545.html

i do alot of sturgeon fishing on the columbia and would like to start getting into doing some crabbing/trolling in tillamook bay and astoria so i am wanting something good for this type of fishin.
i bought this bayliner on craigslist for alot more then i should have payed for it and dont really want to get screwed again having little exp on boats and what is good or not so i thought i would try to get a little help on here to make it a little easier to decide so any info would be great
thanks for all the help

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: help me decide

forgot to say that the guy with the heurth is willing to take 2,000$

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

personaly after looking at all 3 i would be all over that Heurth.
pics look good,two motors good to have,and for fishing, looks like you have a lot of room move around and carry tackle and gear plus would be easy to keep clean
if you dont mind painting every few years.... the other 2 seem to have problems but the heurth looks and reads like a turn key be on the water tomorow deal

i dont see how you could go wrong at least looking at it

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah thats the one i was mostly looking at i just for some reason get a little nervous about the wooden boat idea plus the motors are both tiller handles and i dont know if the canvas has windows in front but that part is not really too big of a deal

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If the outboards are mechanically sound and perform well, I would say that the Huerth is a really good deal, especially if you can get it for $2,000. I agree - I would be all over that one too.

RWilson2526

Master Chief Petty Officer

think the heurth would be good with 5 adults in it?

I would say no. Not in a 17' boat. Just my opinion. But it still the way better choice over the other two. nothing else out there suited for fishing but not made out of wood?

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the Heurth is way under powered for it's weight, the motor are older mercs, definately need to verify the serial #s and years, as some necessary parts on the older ones are NLA. but it is a fantastic hull. i would just consider the hull, until you find out about the motors.

the Bayliner has BIG RED flag, the force outboard. parts are harder to find.

they do not give the length of the seasprite, but looks to be an 18' 140 is minimum hp for that boat. but the best drive system out of all of them.

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

the seasprite is a 16'

how underpowered is the heurth?
i dont really need to go fast and not planning on having to go more then a maybe a few miles from most of the places i would launch to where i would be anchoring.

and what is bad about the force motors besides guzzling gas and hard to find parts?

tashasdaddy

the were marketed to beginning boaters, who rarely maintained them. they changed hands about 4 times, made by different mfgrs. so parts are a PITA. also the Bayliner of that vintage was known to develop rot problems in stringers and transom. just take a tour of the restoration forum.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

alright so now i just got to decide between the heurth and the seasprite

you guys have been very helpful
thank you all very much

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

here are a couple more boats i was looking at.
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/boa/1009861742.html
http://portland.craigslist.org/yam/boa/1012912688.html
are these way overpriced? if so what should i offer them?
EDIT:86 bayliner will consider a 2,400$ offer

i am really leaning towards the heurth but i would want to have up to 5 people on my boat sometimes, mostly just 3 though and i want something that would atleast be semi comfortable and stable and with 5 people averaging 150#'s that would add an extra 750#s to the boat and if the motor is seriously underpowered for the boat i am worried that it wont even be able to move with that many people on board.
like i said most of the time it would just be 3 to 4 adults but on occasion it would be 5.
i would really like to get this boat though so let me know if i am wrong

tashasdaddy

you still have the potential rot problem with the Bayliner. the drive is fantastic. the reinell is a fantastic boat. but again underpowered, and overpriced.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

For what you want to do none of these boats would be all that good, the Reinell was the closest, but I think you can do much better.

Stay away from swoopy windshields that wrap around the side of the boat, they have little room for pulling pots, mounting downriggers, netting fish, rod holders, etc. You want as much nice flat surface as possible. Also find a boat with a kicker mounted already, if you don't, plan to spend at least another grand. Many boats will have all the fishing extras included in the price and if they don't ask about them and see if they will throw them in at N/C.

The heurth would be a good boat if it was longer, wider, had more HP and made of something other than wood.

There are lots of true fishing boats out there fully equipped for about the same money and if you plan to really fish, buying all the goodies after the fact will add up fast.

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

on the heurth he said the 50hp is a 1976 and the 8 hp is a 1983, he said that he had it out on detroit lake with 2 200# adults and a child and it still went 32 knotts gps
EDIT: how much extra upkeep would it require to have a wooden boat,if it is freshly sanded and painted about how long until i would need to go through this process again.
i really like the heurth because it has 2 motors, nice and open, fish finder, and a few other things

if i did get that one though i would want to put a center console in it instead of using the tiller handle

the reinell has a little dryrot on the floor in the back,considering how it was used as only a saltwater boat im guessing a little is alot

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

i still would look at the heurth and sea trial it. then you wll know if your under powered. if your not water skiing or wake boarding it might be fine. he says we could make 30 knots with 2 peeps + gear.

keep it waxed and coverd and keep it up in general, if its sound now i dont see why you couldnt wear out the motor with it

for fishing i would try to stay with a out board. the I/O your looking at are going to a p-i-t-b to fish or work off the stern + your going to have as much useable **** pit room in that 17' OB as the 19' or what ever it was I/O and the OB is going to be lighter

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

yeah i think i am gonna go with the heurth, and if i feel underpowered i will get another motor for it and get rid of the one that is on it.

it seems like the best out of all for what i am looking for its got room for 3 to fit nice and comfortable,2 good running motors, a top,fish depth finder, high sides,and it looks like it is in very good shape.

i am also gonna be replacing the ff/df with a eagle cuda 350 most likely

lordblitzalot

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i also feel like this boat will have semi good trade in value if i keep it in the same shape, if i decide i want something bigger or with a cuddy or whatever
wich is most likely what i will end up doing at the end of the summer anyways

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

DON'T DO IT!!!

WAIT and you'll find a far better boat for your needs.

Wood is high maintenance, has poor resale and the boat is too small.

buckeyboy

Seaman

I have to say I feel your rushing into it. personally I would keep looking. When the right deal comes along you wont have to ask.
If you have to start changing engines and worring about rotted wood. you might want to dig a hole in the back yard and start tossing money in now. be patitent and you will score. with the economey the way it is there will be a glut of boats for sale real soon,, just my two cents and good luck finding a great boat and motor.