Arima?

crashnburn63

Seaman Apprentice
Hi-

I may be taking a look at a 17ft Arima Seachaser later this week. 20 years old, has a 90 horse 2stroke Yamaha and a Yammy kicker.

Just looking for experiences from folks who already have an Arima. Are you happy with it?

The main use for this boat would be fishing on Puget Sound, secondary use family touring/sport boat for 4 people.

I'm really attracted to Arimas for their weight/size (very trailerable with a V6), protection from the weather (already got one open boat, thank you very much Whaler fans) and advertised seaworthiness (think Strait of Juan de Fuca).

Thanks,

-dm

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Arima?

Buying a boat

1st you need to decide what you want to use it for, fishing, cruising, or water sports.

2nd how many people adults, children you want on board of the average outing.

3rd outboard, inboard-outboard, or inboard power plant.

4th Budget, what you want to pay, and what you are willing to pay, when you find
Exactly what you want.

You can hire a marine surveyor, to inspect the boat, or you can do it yourself.

You are mainly looking for soft spots in the deck, transom, cracks, all signs of a rotten, under frame. You walk all over the deck, that a mallot, or hammer with wooden handle, using handle, tap all over the transom, a shape rap is good solid base, a thud, is questionable base.

The motor should be clean, no spots where the paint is discolored, or pealing from heat, having run hot. (This part for outboard motors Compression should be atleast 100psi, and within 10% of each other,)
Spark on all cylinders, good pee stream, check lower unit for water in oil.

The overall condition of the boat will tell you a lot, as to how it has been maintained.
boat motor combo, A 30 year old may be in better condition, than a 3 year old

BUYING A USED MOTOR

overall condition, condition of the place you are buying it from, usually tells you how they care for things. compression 100 + psi, and within 10% of each other, good strong blue spark, no water in the lower unit oil. look for discolored paint, (sign of over heat at
one time, also scarred up bolts, as why. have them start it. if they fail to put it in a barrell or tank, or on muffs, or in the water, to start it they don't know what they are doing. best yet is to take it for a 30 min to 1 hour test run. also if remote controlled motor, the controls should come with it.

crashnburn63

Seaman Apprentice

I think I've seen that generic post before.

I'm looking for input specifically from Arima owners, what they like or don't like about their boats, or issues with specific models.

Two possible negatives that I've heard from friends are:
1. They are light weight, which implies a fragile hull. But I haven't heard anything first-hand to back up that suspicion.
2. Ride quality in rough seas isn't that good.

The boat I am planning on looking at is a 17ft SeaChaser.

slasmith1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If this is any help they use them as rental boats at mcchord afb if the gi's haven't busted them up in the sound you should be ok.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I owned a 1511 for several years and loved it.
ArimaCamper.jpg

Ftmyers.jpg

One day I was on Albemarle Sound in some sloppy stuff, taking water into the cockpit over the windshield actually having a fun time when the coast guard came out to tell me it was too rough for me to be out there and I should get off the water or head into a protected anchorage.

Arima is excellent in backing their warranty. My boat developed a crack in the hull which was repaired quickly at their expense. When the crack came back Arima sent me a brand new boat.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

Lot's of room and very stable for their size, the ride is a little rough when compared to a hull with a deeper V, but it's designed for fishing 90% time and running in and out 10%, the design works for the 90%. Arima's need a smaller motor than most other boats their size because of the shallow V and fuel use is lower also. They hold their value very well and are considered a very well made boat. If I fished in the salt more and didn't already have a boat for that purpose that doesn't get used, I buy one.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Arima has a couple of owners' groups you can access from the Arima site.

AGENT 37

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great fishing boat. Good free-board. And yes, they are well designed to be sea-worthy. They are a slightly rougher ride but I would not consider them any rougher than a whaler. No fiberglass boat is in-destructible. "They ride like a cork"