Hub question: interior scarrin

stickbait

Recruit
I scarred the inside of my hub while removing my races. It's scarred where my rear seal inserts. The guy at the trailer shop said it would be ok but I would like a second opinion. This is my first hub overhaul. Thanks.

a70eliminator

Captain
Re: Hub question: interior scarrin

Just smear some non silicone gasket sealant around the perimeter it and knock the seal in. the gouges would have to be pretty bad for it to leak.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Chances are it won't be a problem but I would use a sealer on the outer diameter of the seal. Aviation Form A Gasket or black RTV would be my choices in sealers. The edge of the seal is metal and won't conform to the scar so depending on how nasty a gouge you put in the seal area, depends on whether you need some extra sealer or not.

JB25VIP

Seaman

not sure if this means much to you, but keep in mind hubs are cheap. Well........i say cheap, i picked up a hub for my trailer that came loaded with bearings and a seal, all the lug nuts, dust cap, cotter pin, the whole shootin shabang for $45.00 the other day............i didn't think 45 bucks was bad at all.......just thought i'd say that, you may just want to replace the thing and not ever have to worry about it.

jaxnjil

Lieutenant

thats not a bad deal at all jb. i didnt price hubs but did rebuild my hubs this fall and it cost me $26 for bearings and seal for each hub

reelfishin

Captain

I wouldn't worry about it much, just put the seal in with some Permatex Form-a-gasket, Indian Head Shellac, or Permatex Aviation sealer.
Around here rust pits up the surfaces pretty fast due to saltwater, just so long as the hub is sound enough to hold the seal, then it will be fine.
I've even had hubs that were just loosely machined in which the bearing races didn't fit tight, I normally just peen the bearing into place or knurl the area where the bearing sits to tighten the fit, sometimes just some green Loctite will work.

Your sealing in grease and keeping out water and there's no serious pressure to deal with. If the seal held back high pressure fluid or something it would be a far different story.

mthieme

Captain

I agree with everyone else; I don't see a problem either.
I assume you didn't use a jack hammer (?).

stickbait

Recruit

Thanks for the peace of mind guys. If I ever do this again I will go with the new assembled hub. It cost me $30.00 a side for my parts and several hours of my time. Thanks again.