The Online Outpost?

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am looking at a boat on craigslist, and the seller is out of state on a work contract, and therefore is selling is boat thru this agency.
I did a little research online and it seems okay, but I thought I'd ask if anybody has bought anything thru them.

They don't have alot of "locations" ( the nearest is in Michigan) and the email I got from the owner said...well, hell, I'll just copy it here.

Quote:
Hello,
As mentioned in my previous message, the boat is located into The OnLine OutPost custody and i intend to close the transaction through their Third Party
Agency. Using this type of Agency will give you the chance to inspect the product before I receive the payment for it. I will explain to you step by step how this will work:
A. First of all and most important, if you agree to close the deal, you will have to send me your shipping information ( your full name and address/ contact phone number and if available also a fax number ).
1. After I receive your shipping information, I will contact The OnLine OutPost and make the shipping reservation onto your name and with your shipping address as the intended receiver of the boat.
B. You will receive a notification from The OnLine OutPost as a confirmation that the boat is in their custody.
1. After that, you will have to send the payment to The OnLine OutPost .
2. The OnLine OutPost will verify the Transfer, and if everything is in order, they will deliver the boat to your door step. The payment is sent to The OnLine OutPost Agency and not to me directly. The payment will be forwarded to me only after you receive the boat and confirm that you accept it.
3. After you will receive the product and you will be completely satisfied with it, you will instruct The OnLine OutPost with your decision.
C. If by any reason, you will not be satisfied with the boat, you will return it to The OnLine OutPost with no expense. ( i will support all the returning taxes )
The boat will come with 10 days Return Policy ( period to inspect the boat condition and if by any reason you won't be satisfied, you will be fully refunded within 24 hours).
Please let me know what is your opinion and if you agree to start the transaction.
Thank you!

Apparently he doesn't get any payment until I inspect the boat (I have to send payment to The Online Outpost) , but it has to be delivered to me for inspection 1st. Then it looks like I have 10 days to make the decision....
Waddya think? The price on the boat is fantastic! About 1/2 NADA and the pics are clean. 454 OMC, but more than likely a Volvo designed drive(pre SX) as this was when Volvo was buying OMC.

I need some advice on this one.....Ted

QC

Supreme Mariner
Re: The Online Outpost?

Foreign writing style = scam!!!!!

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Foreign writing style = scam!!!!!

His last name is Irish, so it might just be his foreign writing style.

All his replies after I initially replied thru his craigslist email have been from his live.com email addy, using parts of his name in that addy. He could have remained stealthy and just communicated thru craigslist.......Hmmmmmmm

QC

Supreme Mariner

Scam!!!!!!

mthieme

Captain

Dunno about the owner, but Online Outpost is an online consignment franchise.
I have seen scams through them before. Seems like a like party is popular to help shield the scammer.

lowkee

Lieutenant Commander

Don't get blinded by greed. That boat is a great deal because it either doesn't exist or is not the boat you will be paying for. Did I mention I saw an 05 Avalanche w/34K miles in our local craigslist for $5000! Yep, if it is a great deal and involves more than showing up and paying for it, it'll be a scam.

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

After alot of internet research, the Online Outpost is apparently legit, although some scammers are using their name and are having funds directed elsewhere. It is an escrow service, and fraud in this area is increasing.

I did some cross checking with yellowpages.com to verify a few phone numbers (although some don't come up as they are part of other businesses) and talked to a video store in Connecticut(it was spelled wrong on Outpost's website ?) and she confirmed it did exist (I got that number from yellowpages.com)

I will go forward with this very carefully and slowly, verifying each contact and email as it progresses and will report back on any results.

Thanks for your input. My fingers and eyes are tired. Any other personal experiences would be helpful. Ted

cribber

Lieutenant

If they ask you to send money using anything but Paypal it's a scam. Another key indicator was emails did not originate from name@onlineoutpostDOTcom but rather looked like this: the-onlineoutpost@consultDOTcom (the BB software tagged these as email so DOT = . )

Consult.com is a URL that originates in the UK that has no website. Some of the emails folks posted looked very similar to yours just for different items such as motorcycles, trombones, and a host of other things for 1/2 the true value. Too good to be true is just that... google Online Outpost Scam and you'll get pages of very similar stories.

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Edit: Unnecessary

Like I wrote, I will follow up on all emails. He has been getting back to me the following day. I just sent him an email asking which franchise location it is at so I can verify it exists. If he doesn't cough up the info, I'm done.

Let me know if you understood that.

I see no reason to go forward with personal contact info as the process stated unless I can independently verify the boat "holds water" so to speak.

If anything, I will root out another scammer and be able to warn others. Fair?

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,....

Even if this Isn't a Scam,... Which I Honestly believe it Is,....:mad:

You Don't want this boat Anyway, Anyhow, No Way,... RUN....:eek:

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

There have been a ton of 'steals' on Craigs...and they have always had the same scenerio...and the same sad results. The 'seller' is out of the country...too busy to handle the sale themselves...free this, and free that...you can ship the item back, if you aren't happy (at no cost to you)...and the 'funds' will be brokered by a Third Party.

Once the money leaves your account...you are out of it's control (explain to me how you will get it back). Where , or whom, do you go to?

If you ask for advice, then take a moment, and really listen.

Peace,
John

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

guys the scammer were selling houses here, that they saw on the MLS site. using a 3rd party.

Nandy

Commander

So this guy is going to send the boat (on his dime) to you so you can inspect it and if you dont like it you dont pay anything... Do that makes sense to you? It dont to me... It is a scam... Everyone has told you that but you still decided to continue with the buy... I wonder why you bother to ask? Seems you had your mind made up to buy it already.
After you finish the transaction and have a the boat with you please let us know. I hope we are all wrong...

tbear1964

Petty Officer 3rd Class

As promised, any updates are relayed. Although I don't expect a reply until tomorrow, if at all, I noticed the ad disappeared.

It was flagged for removal, although not by me. I was waiting for my next email. :)

IF I get a reply, it should be, at least, entertaining.

As a Reminder, the Online Outpost is legit, although their website says it's Ebay recommended, and Ebay ONLY recommends escrow.com, and encourages it's use for transactions over $500, FYI.

sickwilly

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Just do a search of the way the boat was listed in other major cities around the US (in craigslist), or put it exactly in google the way you remember seeing it. You will find it listed several different places and with several different emails responding to it.

There is a reason why craigslist has this page http://www.craigslist.org/about/scams

and big bold wording in the cars section saying offers to ship cars are 100% fraudulent.

You are not going to expose any scam because we all know its already one and you in the end will have an untraceable email address.

This same scam happened to one of our local soldiers right after they returned from Iraq and it was in the paper -- luckily a local dealership (D. Waltrip Honda) gave the kid a car.

Do you have anyone that will feel sorry for you and give you a boat? I ask, because you seem not to be listening to the people that have taken the time to respond to you.

chiefalen

Captain

Sir; i don't know you, but why would you buy anything you can't look at and touch for anything over 100 bucks or so.

This would not mean buying from say iboats, a reputable company.

Others things i have bought and had no problems are starters, alternators, and other items from e-bay with thousands of feedbacks and like 99 percent positive feedback.

From say Wal-mart and Sears web sites i don't hesitate.

So save your money and don't send it, till you have looked at a boat thats 5-100,000 dollars.

Ps i needed a motor, on e-bay was a boat thats was garbage except for the motor. 400 bucks but i called him and said if i can start it in your driveway i'll take it, but all i wanted was the motor, got the boat and trailer with it.

Me i have to touch it feel it smell it just the way i'm made i guess.

Good luck .