motor & power trim dead

3apools

Recruit
Hello,

This is my first post I hope I am posting in the appropriate forum.

I have a 1997 tracker V17 with a mercury 90 HP (2001) with electric trim. My son and I bought this boat about four months ago and have had a great time working on it and fishing out of it. For Christmas my wife and kids bought me a new Eagle C500 fish finder.

When I went to install the new fish finder on the bow I used the existing wiring from the old fish finder it is all in excellent condition and working after wiring everything up I could not get power to the unit. And now I have no power when I crank the motor & power trim is dead as well.

I have checked and charged both batteries I have cleaned all connections to the batteries checked all fuses including the fuses at the battery terminals and under the dash. They are all good. The trim switch on the bow and the motor both do not work.

Not sure what my next step should be?

Thank you

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Re: motor & power trim dead

Are you saying the starter no longer works either? If so check the 20 amp fuse under the cowling.

sschefer

Rear Admiral

I can't see the wiring so I can't be sure of this but I would almost bet that the fish finder is wired into the same circuit as the trim switch. You can use the ground from there but not the positive. Disconnect the hot lead from the fish finder and get it from somewhere else and I'll bet it clears up. If you know how a 3 way switch works it will become perfectly clear.

3apools

Recruit

Thank you both for your responses.

We removed the hotwire as suggested rerouted from another source, we then also checked the fuse which was blown replaced it with a new one and bingo problem solved.

Once again thank you both and to everyone here on the forums!!