Steering Bracket

apaulos

Seaman Apprentice
The steering bracket on my 93 88SPL is rusting away right before me eyes. Any idea what a replace would cost? If it does break what are the consequences? Thanks!

5150abf

Vice Admiral
Re: Steering Bracket

As always, poke around on Ebay, you may be able to find something on there.

cdnfthree2

Chief Petty Officer

Had the exact same prob on a Merc. Yes, the motor can take a drink real quick. It's about 9 hrs labor at a shop so do it yourself!

F_R

Supreme Mariner

If you are talking about the steering arm that the cable link attaches to, it is more likely that YOU will take a swim when you get pitched out of the boat. Then the boat will go around in a circle and return to run over you. Don't laugh, it's happened more than I care to think about.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

Take F_R's advice. This is not something to fool with. I had a swivel bracket shear at the tilt pin bosses about a month ago. The motor only stayed on the transom because it is old enough not to have a tilt tube, and I have an adapter bracket that is bolted to the transom.

When I hit a submerged object, the bracket sheared and the motor turned to starboard. The boat was about 270 degrees through a 360+ degree spin, before I was able to pull the power off. I barely managed to stay in the boat and get a hand on the throttle.

You might try www.sea-way.com for a replacement. They are a very large regional warehouse for BRP, and they have a lot of NOS OMC parts. They are also really great people to deal with. I originally bought a NOS replacement brracket from them, but it turned out to be for a 15" shaft motor. As it turned out, they didn't have the one I needed (my motor is a 1972) and they took the first one back. While I paid the return freight, there was no hassle in doing this.

I have no connection to Sea-Way, but have been really impressed with the way they do business, so I strongly recommend them.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

If the steering arm is still safe/serviceable, you could remove it, remove all corrosion and paint it. After doing so, you could then install a sacrificial anode (zinc) on your cavitation plate to prevent further damage.

apaulos

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you all for the info.

There is still plenty of steel on the arm so it will last a few more seasons. I'm going to look in the factory manual and consider pulling the power head to be able to paint it up correctly.