GPS Time

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral
Had an issue with my Magellan Roadmate over Christmas. Not a huge deal but for a couple of days the time was 12 hours off (slow).:confused::confused: It was running night mode during the day ans vice-versa. I bumped the time zone forward by 12 hours an it read correctly for two days, the was off by 12 hours again. I reset it to EST and its been fine since. I figure it could have been culture shock. It's a southern unit and i had it up in Yankee Land. And we all know the folks up north just know the southerns are a bit behind the times.;):)
I figure it was the feed from the satalite. :confused: just seemed odd.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: GPS Time

Sounds a little bit (not exactly) like what my Garmin does if I make too many short trips. The internal clock/calendar that is supposed to keep time with the sats slows down after a couple of days and exhibits the same symptoms you are talking about.

I simply tell it to re-orient and after anything from 3 to 10 minutes it has found sats and knows where it is and when.

After a longish trip the internal battery that powers the clock/calendar when not in use gets charged up and it will be okay for a few weeks.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

My money is on the interanl battery too. If I unplug my Garmin and don't let it "recharge" it gives me grief when I am in the mountains.

I would not suggest you tray to open it up but my bet is on the internal battery.

Have you ever tried to use it set on a 24 hr clock setting?

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

My money is on the interanl battery too. If I unplug my Garmin and don't let it "recharge" it gives me grief when I am in the mountains.

I would not suggest you tray to open it up but my bet is on the internal battery.

Have you ever tried to use it set on a 24 hr clock setting?

No on the 24 hr clock. But you both may be on the something with the battery deal. The unit sat on the shelf in the garage most of the Fall and I stuck it in the truck just as I was heading out on my trip.
I figured as long as I powered it through the cig lighter (always hot) the battery would be a non issue. But who knows. Any how it seems OK now.

Bob_VT

Staff member

It is the same internal type battery as in a computer. Since most of us leave computers plugged in we don't notice it.

I bet I have changed at least 20 CMOS batteries over the years in desktop PC's (mainly the oldest ones).

Maybe (hopefully) using it will revive the battery. Now I feel guilty because mine is stored in my glovebox and we have not had a decent day all winter. It is a real acid test for my unit to be stored below zero!

Hey if the GPS is showing 12 hours slow maybe you are driving too fast!:eek:

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

It is the same internal type battery as in a computer. Since most of us leave computers plugged in we don't notice it.

I bet I have changed at least 20 CMOS batteries over the years in desktop PC's (mainly the oldest ones).

Maybe (hopefully) using it will revive the battery. Now I feel guilty because mine is stored in my glovebox and we have not had a decent day all winter. It is a real acid test for my unit to be stored below zero!

Hey if the GPS is showing 12 hours slow maybe you are driving too fast!:eek:
I was driving the Delorean with the Flux-Capacitor option. :D:D:D Maybe I should have backed up??:confused:

Bob_VT

Staff member

88 MPH will get you every time! :D

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Garmin will fix it for $175. I decided it is worth $175 to just let it reorient itself.