making my 290 sp outdrive with digital tilt guage ,work with an analog guage

hello i need some help figuring out how to hook up my analog trim guage to my previous digital guaged 290sp outdrive . my digital guage is part #828731 yz . if this helps . i have an analog trim guage from teleflex with the standard 3 wire conection on the back. i just purchased a new trim sending unit POTENTIOMETER part #873531 . and ive aquired a black digital to analog box part #873226. coming of the box are three wires purple,black,yellow that look like they plug into the back of the analog guage . however the input into the black box is a bit of a mystery it has 8 wires- brown, white,red with white stripe,white with black stripe,green with white stripe,black,blue with red stripe,and lavender ,there are also little numbers on the white plug these are housed in above were the wires exit. ok ive tried to paint a picture here . and my potentiometer only has 3 wires coming from it . how can i make this set up work .going from a digital guage to a analog guage . the owners manual that comes with the black box just describes how to fine tune it once it is hooked up

Re: making my 290 sp outdrive with digital tilt guage ,work with an analog guage

the instructions that came with the black box state that it is a controll unit for analog trim instrument . it provides some knobs for the calibration of the instrament relitive to the position of the outdrive also a setting for dp or sp+12

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: making my 290 sp outdrive with digital tilt guage ,work with an analog guage

It took me 2 days of searching thru files to find that information on the black box and how it goes in the system is not in any manual but one. And it's not even available anymore. Mine has loose pages in it and oil soaked in places, but it still may do the job.
The pictures are too big to post, so just click them and save them to your computer.

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/Blackbox1.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/Blackbox2.jpg
http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o291/DonSind/Blackbox3.jpg

thnks for the help . i diddnt have the page 112 schematic . but the other pages are in the instructions i have. im guessing from the page 112 that i can make it work . i know i needed a box . i hope i got the right one

Don S

Describe the box you have. How many wire bundles comes out of it.

PS, what's the publication number of the instructions.

the publication number is 7735199-7 below that number is 3-1993

then the black box says part #857534

Don S

Thanks for the number. I was hoping Volvo had it in .pdf format. But they don't.
That is the proper part number.

0106091915.jpg
;
0106091914.jpg
;
0106091913.jpg
;
0106091917.jpg

thats my old digital guage but it still works. just dosent match my other new guages