Towing w/ a Honda Civic

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 15.5 foot Siracco boat (duel haul) with a 1980 40hp 2 cylinder mounted to it.
Is it possible to use my 1999 Honda civic ex (1.6 liter V-tec, frt wheel drv, manual transmission)
to pull this boat in and out of the water? I need to figure this out before I go spend the money on a hitch. I know I can pull the boat all day long but those ramps worry me.

Any advice? Anyone ever succeed at something like this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Towing w/ a Honda Civic

It is possible to do almost anything you want. The question is, is it reasonable? I have towed an 18 footer with a 125 outboard using a Chevy Cavalier 4 cylinder 2.2 automatic.

Did it do it? Yes. Was I lucky? Yes.

I don't know your boat, but with such a small auto engine, towing anything more than a "tinny" and trailer at 500 pounds or so total will be taking a chance. Sure the car will tow it, but what about stopping? Remember that with such a small engine, all the auto components are built lighter and brakes are matched to the vehicle. Is the car rated to tow anything at all? If so, it will be in your manual. Honda may be a very high quality vehicle, but it was designed for a purpose and in this case I doubt towing was part of the design

Ramps will not be a problem, the car will most likely drag the trailer out, but with such a small engine and a stick, you will put undue wear on the clutch. Ok for occasional emergency use but for a weekly thing--I don't think so.

To me, front wheel drive is actually a positive since it usually puts the drive wheels on dry (er) pavement. I towed my 18 footer for years with a Grand Caravan fwd (no posi) and had less problems on the ramp than with my rwd pick-up.

Without knowing your boat and your car, I would go conservative and recommend against installing a hitch.

D

DJ

I seriously doubt your vehicle has ANY tow rating. For reasons stated above.

Installing a hitch may be problematic also. The body simply may not be up to it. Hitch "tear outs" are NOT uncommon.

Would I do it-NO WAY. At least not your rig. A 500 pound aluminum boat-maybe.

Shizzy

Ensign

I would check to see if the car has ANY towing ability. Just because you can buy a hitch for it doesnt mean you should. And just as stated, unless the boat and trailer combo is only a few hundred pounds I wouldnt do it.

I pull my 14' Alumacraft FD with my ford Ranger. The boat is very light, but I can tell its back there if I need to stop quick.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Check with your local dealer. The Civic is rated at 1000 lb tow rating and if I am not mistaken the Sirocco is an inflatable boat.

Find out the weight of everything including your trailer and consult with the dealer.

Where are you located?

kandil

Chief Petty Officer

You can do it but you will have problems on the ramp and you may damage your transmission I would try to buy a used truck for towing it will be cheaper than a new transmission;)

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling here. :D

jlinder

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I always try to imagine what the conversation would be like with the insurance adjuster or in court.

"You were towing a boat with what?"

It helps me make the smarter choice

180shabah

Rear Admiral

Another vote against. I have a 98 EX and there is no way I would try that unless it was an emergency. The incline of the ramp and additional weight of the boat and trailer will combine to keep you right at the edge of clutch burning and unintended wheelspin. These cars aren't exactly known for keeping the front tires planted under acceleration.

I towed with some pretty stupid combinations, but like I said above, I would do anything possible to avoid this one.

tmcalavy

Rear Admiral

Too small, chintzy brakes...better to miss a warm, fuzzy feeling now than to experience a close call and feel warm and, er, damp in the seat.

ziggy

Admiral

fwiw....
i used to pull a three person jetski which i figured roughly weighted around a 1000 lbs... with my 87 chevy nova. )toyota corolla in discise) small 4 cyl. w/ manual transmission. never had any issues... though i don't think i'd have wanted to go into hard breaking or radical maneuvers with it.. couldn't hold 75 mph up hill on the interstate. but held at around 65 mph unless it was a steep hill..
also pulled a waverunner that weighed in at 1k lbs. w/o trailer or gear... pulled that with a 4 cyl. toy. pickup truck, rear wheel drive only, automatic... same issue with the hills... other than that, both did well.....

kkr26

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If you do tow it with the civic post a pic. :)

Shizzy

Ensign

Check with your local dealer. The Civic is rated at 1000 lb tow rating and if I am not mistaken the Sirocco is an inflatable boat.

Find out the weight of everything including your trailer and consult with the dealer.

Where are you located?

looks like it is an inflatable. 150lbs with out motor and trailer.

again, I would check the tow rating and weigh the whole package to see what it comes in at.

jayard78

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Definately not inflatable, it is fiberglass and a heavy biotch.:eek:

Shizzy

Ensign

Definately not inflatable, it is fiberglass and a heavy biotch.:eek:

well then im wanting to see video of this poor Civic trying to get up to speed with its front wheels not on the ground... :D