Bravo 3 Lube Bulkhead Fitting

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a Bravo 3 Drive (SN L470625) and want to pull the bell housing to repair the damaged lube monitor hose at the bell housing.

I have been following the #11 Mercruiser Manual, which recommends removing the bell housing. This includes disconnecting the lube oil bulkhead connection, item 'c' in the attached drawing so that the bell housing can be removed.

I have the hose disconnected, but the problem is (I think), the barb connector doesn't look like item 'a' in the attached drawing. There appears to be no flats on the barb connector. The one installed on my boat appears to be slightly tapered with one boss that is in contact with the water supply housing from the underside in the 5 o'clock position (hope that makes sense).

Do I need to just remove the water supply housing and unscrew it or is there something else I'm missing?

Attachments

• Bulkhead Fitting.jpg
    Bulkhead Fitting.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 3

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Bravo 3 Lube Bulkhead Fitting

I found a drawing in the parts manual of what I think I have (see attachment) that's not in the service manual. But I'm still confused on how to remove the barbed connector and its relationship to the c-clip.

Can someone explain how to remove this type of bulkhead connector?

Attachments

• Bulkhead Fitting 2.JPG
    Bulkhead Fitting 2.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 1

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,...

Although I've never seen 1,....

My Guess is that #10 has a groove in it that #9 sits in...
Pushing the e-clip, #9, in 1 way or the other should pop it off, freeing the fitting...

Kinda like the old Chevy inside the door,+ window Handles....

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

In the picture below, I labled how it goes together. This is the new replacement part that came out AFTER your manual did.
The pick came out of manual #28 which is for newer Bravo drives starting with OM

attachment.php

Attachments

• Untitled3.jpg
    Untitled3.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Things are getting clearer... So, if I read the last diagram posted correctly, I should be able to "press" the quick disconnect "button" to remove the barb connection assembly. Then the e-clip will be accessible?

Don S

Things are getting clearer... So, if I read the last diagram posted correctly, I should be able to "press" the quick disconnect "button" to remove the barb connection assembly. Then the e-clip will be accessible?

That's all there is to it. ;)

Zackman

Petty Officer 1st Class

Great, thanks Don and Bondo... Now, if I can just figure out how to shrink my hand to about half its size...

Don S

Now, if I can just figure out how to shrink my hand to about half its size...

Yea, looks easy in the diagram, only Merc put it in a place you can't see or get to ................ But I have on most, and a few I haven't.