How to tell if motor is pumping water

claybuster1

Cadet
I have a 92 johnson 40 hp. the problem is out on the water when it is in the teens. I shut the motor down and restart it later the water tube is froze till it builds up a little heat. I can see water spitting out of the to of the lower unit under the power head cover. Any other way to tell?

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner
Re: How to tell if motor is pumping water

If water is exiting via the "tell tale", or "pisser", then the water is getting to the t stat via the water pump.

Are you having an overheat condition?

claybuster1

Cadet

The problem is the tube is froze near the end due to the cold weather. I think it is still pumping water fine but dont want to burn it up all new parts including powerhead

D

DJ

No other way to tell, other than what you already see and the overheat horn. Make sure that works.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

i keep a little piece of wire (needs to be stiff and flexible) this time of year..........i like to catfish all year so when i crank her up in the winter if she dont pee i poke that wire in there and all is good.

Harker

Chief Petty Officer

Usually if water is spitting out of the relief holes on the mid section it means water is going through the motor. You might drill a new hole for your tell tale hose so it goes straight down and empties when shutting off.

david_r

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Usually if water is spitting out of the relief holes on the mid section it means water is going through the motor. You might drill a new hole for your tell tale hose so it goes straight down and empties when shutting off.

mine used to be that way on my 115 but after i read this service bulletin http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=222677&highlight=pee+hole+tell+tale i changed it....although i had to do it on my 9.8 and 18 too....... before i got this boat this year

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Is it possible to install a water pressure gauge? A change in pressure would tell you if it is pumping!

MAS