Can my engine freeze and crack?

Jim13

Seaman
Quick question for you.

I have an 85HP Suzuki. It is supposed to get in the high 20's later this week. Do I need to do anything to my engine to protect it? Is there any water in the block? It sits covered in the driveway.

I fish all year and will be taking the boat out next week again. The temp never drops and stays there, by next week it will be back in the 60-70's with a low in the 40's-50's.

Thanks.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Can my engine freeze and crack?

tilt the motor all the way up, then let it all the way back down, this will break any air lock, that may be hold water in the block, then cover, also if you have not, change the lower unit oil, this is just in case there has been water intrusion, which can freeze and crack the lower unit.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

If for some reason you don't have the time to do as TD recommended with your lower unit you could also just remove your drain plug and let the old oil drain into a pan. Leave the plug out and it won't have the opportunity to swell ( if there is any water present). Just don't forget to refill it before you go out.
Sort of a shade tree mechanic thing. :eek:

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

yes that will work also.

Jim13

Seaman

Wow, that is a whole lot simpler that I thought it would be.

Thanks a lot fellas.

tedious

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Actually, if you're going to drain the lower unit, it's better to refill - don't leave it empty and don't leave it open. You want to keep that expensive gearset nice and oily!

Tim

nightstalker

Chief Petty Officer

Actually, if you're going to drain the lower unit, it's better to refill - don't leave it empty and don't leave it open. You want to keep that expensive gearset nice and oily!

Tim

Yup!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! All to easy to forget to refill it prior to your next time out.
Nightstalker

gonefishie

Commander

It takes 5 minutes to fill it back up. The longest part is waiting for the oil to drain, but you can alway do something else while waiting.

coolguy147

Commander

:pwax ur boat while its draining? hmmm sounds good and shiny