Transducer Mounting Plates???How to mount?

hooterville

Seaman
i made me a transducer mounting plate out of that 1/2" thick plastic,vynil ,pvc, or whatever tpe of material that is.

the question i have is do i mount it flush with the bottom of my boat or set it up a little?
I have a 1860 tracker grizzly aluminum boat.
it i think i made it 4x16 but may cut it to 4x12 depending on how long it needs to be. what would be the best way to attach it?
drill it thru hull and use stainless screws with silicone to keep it from leaking?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Transducer Mounting Plates???How to mount?

Is it a thru hull transducer? Why would you need such a big plate? Normally a stern mounted transducer has an angle bracket with a thru bolt to adjust tension. Does your hull have an aluminum extension at the transom? If not just screw it straight to the hull just a bit below the bottom 1/8 or so at the midpoint and pointing straight down. Place it away from any strakes and as far from the motor as possible.

hooterville

Seaman

not a thru hull transducer........i made it long in case i needed to cut it off which i probally will.........the bottom has runners ever 6 inches or so that would cause a little turbulance..........the reason i made it is to keep from drilling multiple holes for transducer and a seperate speed sensor.. and because i am changing brand depth finders ......

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

So 2 screws and some sealnt holding the plate to the transom, everything else mounts to the plate, that will work. Keep the plate up a good 1/2" or so from the bottom, may effect steering, maybe not. Again, mount the transducer just under the bottom, at midpoint between runners, as far as possible from the motor. I don't think the speedo cares about runners.

Boatist

Rear Admiral

I would go no further than 18 inches from the motor as if go too far out
will find the transducer will not work at high speed because of too many air bubbles.
I find on most boats near the Pitot pickup is a good place.

Here is a link that has a picture. I would mount with only two screws at the top above the water line.
Glue the bottom on with 4200 or silcon seal. I would not use 5200 it you think you will ever remove it.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t.../search-box.jsp.form23&_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1