Is 300hp Motor Too Big for 19ft boat

cruiseydude

Recruit
I am looking at a cyclone 1950 with a 300HP motor and wonder if the motor is too heavy for the fibreglass construction and if the boat will have any problem sinking at the rear? Want to ski behind it.

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Is 300hp Motor Too Big for 19ft boat

it sounds overpowered, what does the capacity plate on the boat say the max hp is? there are some potentially serious legal with an overpowered boat.

The United States Coast Guard has an opinion on this frequently asked question, and their answer from their website is reproduced below:
Can I use a bigger motor on my boat than what it's rated for?
It is not a violation of Coast Guard regulations to install or use an engine larger than specified on the capacity label, but there may be state regulations prohibiting it, and restrictions from your own insurance company regarding this.
There are no Coast Guard regulations against exceeding the safe loading capacity, however, there may be State regulations or restrictions from your insurance company which prohibit this. There is a Coast Guard regulation that gives Coast Guard Boarding Officers the power to terminate the use of a boat (send it back to shore) if, in the judgment of the Boarding Officer, the boat is overloaded. There is no fine for this, unless the operator refuses the Boarding Officer's order. We certainly hope that you will abide by the rating, as overloading may lead to capsizing or swamping of the boat.
NOTE: The Coast Guard Capacity Information label is required only on monohull boats less than 20' in length. The label is not required on multi-hull boats, pontoon boats (catamarans), or on any sailboats, canoes, kayaks, or inflatable boats, regardless of length.
As the Coast Guard mentions, local regulations may apply. For example, in the state of Ohio one should be guided by this regulation:
Capacity Plates
(ORC 1547.39 & ORC 1547-40)
No person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft in excess of any of the stated limits on the capacity plate. When no capacity plate exists, no person shall operate or permit operation of a watercraft if a reasonably prudent person would believe the total load aboard or the total horsepower of any motor or engine presents a risk of physical harm to persons or property.

tashasdaddy

that boat is extremely over powered also, and extremely dangerous. it is just a show boat.

HDPipes05

Seaman Apprentice

that boat is extremely over powered also, and extremely dangerous. it is just a show boat.

Agreed!!! I wonder if the original poster is referring to this same type of boat? If so, 300hp is gonna kill some one IMHO!

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

It should be able to pull skiers right up,

a Lake St Louis ski team has a 19 footer with TWO 250's on it, and pulls up the WHOLE 15 person team at once!

Some bass wannabe pro's have 300's, fly about 6 inchs off the water at 106 mph, not what I'd call safe.

Anything from a 115 to a 175 will work just fine for you.

cbavier

Lieutenant

Hey Cruiseydude:
Welcome to Iboats.

Like everyone else. It's way overpowered. Check out other 19ft boats and get a feel for the size of motors they have. That will answer your question
for sure.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

post your question on scream and fly.com's forum and you'll get more accurate info.

BigJ08

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yes, it probably is VERY overpowered, but i think that you should also consider that that motor may be wayyyyy to heavy for that boat to support. Chances are it will make it sit low in the back, which is going to affect how the boat rides and possibly cut down on the amount of people you can carry with you. You might be able to pull a ten man ski team, but it won't be any fun if you can't bring anyone along.;)

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Everybody is quoting US Coast Guard......

The cyclone is a New Zealand rig. I am not aware of the new england regulations for safety and power however, based on what I was able to find on the net ..... those boats take a remarkable amount of power.

It would require a good inspection and based on 300 HP I would consider that a specialty boat designed for real go fast skiing.

The mercury 225 has the same weight as the 300.

tashasdaddy

The cyclone is a New Zealand rig. how are we suppose to know that? also we have no idea where he is from? hate when they don't list home port.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I think this is best answered with: "If you have to ask . . ." ;)

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

This is why you ask questions before you post an answer. Not only are answers being thrown out there without really knowing what boat he's talking about but we still don't know what 300 he's talking about. Lots of variations there. I had a 300 V8 on a 19' Rabco. It was fine til about 80. Had a 300+ V6 on an 18' Mirage, no problem well over 100. Lots of guys around here with 300 Merc's & Yamaha 2 strokes on 20' flats boats with no issues.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This is why you ask questions before you post an answer. Not only are answers being thrown out there without really knowing what boat he's talking about but we still don't know what 300 he's talking about. Lots of variations there. I had a 300 V8 on a 19' Rabco. It was fine til about 80. Had a 300+ V6 on an 18' Mirage, no problem well over 100. Lots of guys around here with 300 Merc's & Yamaha 2 strokes on 20' flats boats with no issues.

Now, now let's not let facts and real world experience muck up fine "dude that's waaaaaay to much power" thread .........................:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

Sounds like a blast to me but im Irresponsible. Read posts pertaining to overpowered boats. I grew up with my dad owning race boats and i dont seem to agree from a safety standpoint with everyone here but lawsuits are the real deal. Ive been 110+ on the water many times but i also realize at that speed theres little margin for death. i knew the inherent risks but the passengers in your boat may not and when you decide to give them a show and lose it and they get hurt.. well i dont think I have to paint a picture.

jay_merrill

Vice Admiral

I think I found the boat that the OP is talking about. If so, its a Merc. See the link below.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Motorboats/auction-186382395.htm

I don't know if its too much motor for the boat or not, but I saw the same ad as the one mentioned previously about one of them with a 225 going 87 mph. Just how fast do you want to go? :eek:

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

if it will run 87 with a 225 then the hull more than likely weighs between 600-800lbs. I wouldnt recomend it for a ski boat.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

That boat looks great!

Man check out scream and fly for all your questions about a ride like that.

I've seen 300hp on the 16' hull I have.

xxturbowesxx

Chief Petty Officer

im not saying its a bad boat if your goal is to go fast but a boat that weighs 700lbs pulling a skier that is 200lbs im not so sure about. i skied behind my dads 18 ft Triad Stv with a 2.5 merc putting out around 300hp and boats that light dont like pulling anything.. and if you give to much gas to compensate you may rip the skiers arms off :D

Benny1963

Lieutenant

if that link is the boat your looking at with tha 300 that a fine rig
that will be sweet need to go over on scream and fly .if your getting a way killer deal on it buy it ,