This might be a dumb question but it has been bothering me

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is it possible to take the new 2009 Evinrude E-Tec 75 HP into the casing of a 1963 Evinrude Starflight V 75HP?

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: This might be a dumb question but it has been bothering me

There are no dumb questions, Calhere, only dumb answers.

Do you mean the cowling (cover)? If not, what do you mean by "casing"?

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What I want to do is keep the look of the 60s but upgrade the motor. so I have 2 63 rudes for that boat one I picked up for parts so I am wanting to buy the new one and put it in the shell that I have striped clean.

The casing and frame are part of the working motor I don't think you can put a newer motor in to a older frame/case if I understand that is what your looking to do?

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is what I was trying to figure out if I could do.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

To say its impossible would be wrong.If you watch shows like Jesse James ,a biker ,machinest whom makes highspeed lawnmowers,transform=er cars etc.But,It would take some real machining ,first I see,taking powerhead and custom manufacturing water and exhust intakes and exhust.Then comes the issue if the lowerunit.If you look to use the vintage lower,You will need make a custom driveshaft ,which might not be too bad if you take a xtra long new shaft and have a machinist machine to modern fit,then next issue would be centering everthing,fortunatly the older 4 cyl.does have alot of room under the cowl.Now,if you got all that done after spending boko's of dollars.How would it perform.You still have to old type prop,small at that,non exhust hubbed,if you lower is electric that makes things easier.But,if you do venture into the project.PLEASE post your project.It would make interesting reading.There is a guy that posted hundreds of pages on lengthing a vintage boat.Its what he wanted.He certainly could have bought a boat same length used for a few hundred.When he's done ,he'll have thousands into it.But its interesting reading.

tashasdaddy

you would also void all warranties.

tashasdaddy

i agree that keeping the vintage look is very nice. but going with new power, also shows, you have a great vintage hull, that performs well, and you like. that it was worth the $ to invest in new power plant.

in Florida, you see many older boats with new power.

mhg

Petty Officer 3rd Class

me thinks it would be easier to just use the old cowl
and figure out how to mount it to the new engine
this will keep the look without all that custom work

jasper60103

Commander

Also, there are restoration shops that will repaint your motor for a custom look.

Calhere

Petty Officer 2nd Class

i agree that keeping the vintage look is very nice. but going with new power, also shows, you have a great vintage hull, that performs well, and you like. that it was worth the $ to invest in new power plant.

in Florida, you see many older boats with new power.

Well I have restored one of my 2 63 Starflights and it really purrs good, but I want to have a second engine so that I can keep that old starflight on reserve if I want to show off the boat with original parts one day, but it is something to down the road I was just wondering if it was possible which it seems it may be, but with tons of money. Right now I have several other very expensive projects panning out so Ill be posting tons in the boat building section come the new year. Once all that is done I might pursue this project.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral

If you can work with fiberglass and do basic body work you can probably fabricate something that will give you the flavor of the vintage cowling on your modern chassis. I've seen a few folks who have taken junked cowlings and grafted the base of another cowling to it to make it work. All depends on how much time and effort you want to put into it. I'd start by not modifying your existing motor and getting a second cowling to make your mods so that your existing motor could be returned to original at a later date. Might be able to find a damaged cowling at a marina, craigslist or ebay that you could work with.
- Scott

Evinrude Boater

Lieutenant Junior Grade

You're trying to put a 3 cylinder inline engine in a V-4 engine compartment. The overall vertical dimension of the cowl is about 4" too short on the Starflite. You might have a better chance fitting it in a Mercury.