'92 70hp is still getting hot.

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: '92 70hp is still getting hot.

Here's an update:
I pulled the head off and found water! Cylinders appear to be fine, I oiled them up some. The gasket looks good. This is probably due to a bolt that I had a problem with not getting tight. I installed one just abit longer and perhaps it bottomed out. It seemed to get tight with the torque wrench. When I ran it, I had water leaking out of this bolt and the one across from it. This was all last week.
Today I also pulled the exhaust cover off and made sure that all the water passages were clear. I reamed them out with a drill bit by hand then blew them out with air, everything looks good. Exhaust cover is back on and tomorrow I hope to get a new head gasket.
This overheat problem may have been resolved a week ago but the bolt thing has thrown a wrench into the mix. Tomorrow, after work, is another day.
Wayne

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I just remembered Ezeke's post and I've already done the moving the peehole thing to the top of the motor per the bulletin.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

If you havent installed head yet,check it for warp.get a piece of 80 grit wet or dry paper,a piece of marble glass something flat,run it over the mating surface a few times and check to see if its cleaning the whole surface ,you dont need it to be perfect,but close is important the head gasket will make up some mistake but flatter the better

wlbolerdo

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's an update, I'm paranoid!!!
Took the boat to a mechanic who replaced my overheat warning horn-it wasn't working. We took it out in the pass and ran it at WOT. He showed me that my overheat system was working correctly by shorting it out. The RPM's dropped quite abit and the motor was running horriable until I backed off the throttle. The key has to be turned off to re-set the system and the engine would have to have cooled down. I didn't know this! Anyway, I figured I'd pass this along incase it could be helpful.
One other thing, mechanic tells me that the IR thermo reading should be taken at the top of the block near the t-stat mine being about 135 degrees.
Wayne