Ice

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
The ice is just about all the way across the channels and starting along the shorelines............

It is a depressing sight :(

angus63

Captain
Re: Ice

I've found the best cure is to put it in a glass, pour Scotch over it, and endure the next 5 months!!

akmoosehauler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Our river froze early last month and will not go out till may or june so i can understand what you are going through. At least the ice is thick enough now so snogo's and trucks can go out on it.

Bob_VT

Staff member

Our river froze early last month and will not go out till may or june so i can understand what you are going through. At least the ice is thick enough now so snogo's and trucks can go out on it.

This is the very beginning..... not sure it would support any wildlife yet. It will not be too long and it will be 30-40 inches thick.

mthieme

Captain

I feel you pain. There was a thin sheet on my creek, maybe as thick as a window, makes it hard to steer!

NoKlu

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Gotta love early freeze up. I haul water for a drilling rig and get to test the ice thickness every morning. Push a ladder out on to the 1 1/2" thick ice, crawl out on the ladder a few feet and chop a new hole with the axe. Gets a little scarry when the first chop gets the cracking started. I did go through one time a few years ago. In Feb one time I walked out on the ice with my gas auger, stabbed the point into the ice and as soon as I got the auger fired up, down I went! Right up to my Knees. I laugh about it now but I was on a dugout and was lucky it was shallow. The thick ice can't come quick enough for me.

oops!

Supreme Mariner

ya, well the next time you do somthing like that.....make sure you are tied off to your truck or somthing. :mad:

but i cant rant....ive done stupid things too....but we wont go there ! :D

akmoosehauler

Petty Officer 3rd Class

We go out on ice less then an inch thick to ice fish. Also the best time to set a net under the ice. We tell anyone not familar to going out on thin ice not to do it. So stay off the ice untill it is thick enough.

mthieme

Captain

We go out on ice less then an inch thick to ice fish. Also the best time to set a net under the ice. We tell anyone not familar to going out on thin ice not to do it. So stay off the ice untill it is thick enough.

Curious how this is done.
Do you attach skis or ladders to your mukluks?
When I was a youngun, I learned the ice needed to be 3" minimum.

Bob_VT

Staff member

If I want to see ice I have to go to the freezer..............:p:p;):D:D

If you want to try something...... try to fill the kitchen sink with ice and water....... carefully arrange the cubes so it looks like a sheet across the sink........ now close you eyes and picture a whole lake that way.