question for Don (pressure gauges)

tboss

Seaman Apprentice
Don I saw in a previous post you responded to that it wasnt a good practice to run a small oil line to a manuel gauge to the cockpit can you give me the reason for I was planning on running one to mine with an alarm buzzer to alert me of oil pressure loss I realize at 3000 rpm it dont take long to fry an engine .Tks Terry---------tboss

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: question for Don (pressure gauges)

You don't NEED an oil line going all the way forward. That line can get cut, bent, brokent and loose all your oil pressure before you even know about it.
Use a pressure switch on the engine an use wiring for the alarm.
To be honest, I don't think any marine engine has ever had an oil line actually go to the helm. That was done on cars many moons ago, but not anymore. Low oil pressure switches and hi-temp switches are a common sender found at any autoparts store along with a buzzer from Radio Shack and some wire and you are set to go.

turborich

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Many aftermarket car/truck gauges still have a pressure line running to them, Not any factory ones that I know of though. Boats have always been a sensor with a wire. You could use a manual oil pressure gauge but if that line broke it would make a heck of a mess.

If you want to use a manual gauge I don't see why you couldn't though.

bigbroncoxlt

Seaman Apprentice

If you really want to know your oil pressure with a mechanical gauge I would suggest mounting it ON or NEAR the engine and use COPPER tubing, not that plastic crap that comes with the gauges that is known to bust. If the copper should break you could always pinch it and fold it over to prevent it from loosing all engine oil. Cant really do that with plastic tube thats brittle and cheap from the get go.

chiefalen

Captain

The buzzer is the way to go. My friends oil pressure sender nipple broke off no alarm 3 seconds and his motor was toast.

Installation a breeze for the buzzer and cheap and the way to go.

If you want "to do it right the first time".

tboss

Seaman Apprentice

Tanks guys. so here is wht I will do I will forget the gauge oh the dash and install a small brass tee on the block where the oil pressure switch is located and install a manuel gauge there The reason I am doing this is I really dont trust the electric gauges .. I had a ford that the oil pressure gauge was all over the scale it never read the same pressure twice so I installed a manual gauge on the dash and to my suprise the oil pressure stayed at 45 lb constantly and 30 at idle / I guess I just like to look at the gauge to be sure of my oil pressure I have already installed an adjustale pressure switch for the alarm I adjusted it down to 17 psi I think any thing below 17psi. If the alarm sounds at this pressure its time to shut her off and do some looking. thks Don we here value you opinion with great respect. Terry ---------tboss

Last edited:

Robj

Lieutenant

If you want to install a manual pressure gauge that badly, I would install the "T" as you suggested. From one end of the "T" run a small piece of hose to your pressure gauge. Use hose rated for oil and with a working pressure of about 200 psi. What the hose does is remove the weight of the gauge from the "T", therefore the T is less likely to break from vibration and the weight of the gauge.

Have a great day,

Rob.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

You can still have the oil pressure gauge at the dash just like you probably have a temperature gauge. For heavens sake stop worrying about electrical gauges. Your tach is electrical, the temp gauge is electrical, the fuel gauge is electrical and both the temp and oil pressure gauges are extremely reliable. Its the guy called "Sparky" that does the wiring that's unreliable. Install an oil pressure sender (not a switch) that is compatible with the gauge and be done with it. If you still want the buzzer, you can have that too by iinstalling a pressure "switch". The critical thing here is not to hang both senders on the same "T" as there is too much mass and the small brass fitting may break off from vibration. Depending on the engine, there are generally more than one oil pressure port. There is usually one on the oil filter housing and other topside on the engine.