Got a question.

Howdy all I'm new here just wanted to pop in say Hi and ask a question while I'm at it. First of a little about me I'm a 16 year old kid who loves cars and boats more than most people if anyone has a problem with me just tell me and we can try to work it out. I don't know everything and I don't pretend I do.

Now on to my question me and my grandfather have two boats ones a 1950ish aluminum boat 15 foot with a 1973 25 h.p. Seahorse on it, the other is a 1984 18 foot cheetah with a 84 115 h.p V-4 Evinrude. My question is will the E10 ethanol blended gas hurt anything in these motors other than maybe the fuel lines and the gaskets in the carbs I know ethanol will seperate into water,gas, and ethanol layers but im not to worried about that.

Thanks

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Got a question.

Howdy, 18FC.

Welcome to iboats. :)

Folks in the midwest have been using E10 for many years with no damage, though it gets blamed for everything from hangnails to the weather.

The biggest problem with E10 and even E15 is all of the myths about it.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

It will eat the shellac coating off the cork float in the 25 carburetor, then it won't float any more. Fortunatly, the new replacemant floats are fuel proof and that won't happen again.

CharlieB

Vice Admiral

Biggest problem is the same as the rest of most boats, that they are NOT used enough!

Fuel needs to be USED and replaced regularly to ensure that it stays fresh.

coolguy147

Commander

way ahead of u buddy im 14 years of age with 4 boats 2 r john and 1 is a pontoon and other is a 1961 critchfield 14 ft ski boat other a riveria cruiser 20ft not sure of year 1960's most likely and 12 and 10 foot john one is alumium and one is fiberglass and that one is leaking lol.

i love boats and cars i guess i could even small engines got a 1999 suzuki lt-250 250cc think it was 17hp but it was a big boy back then i love it it only has 550 miles and the i just finished restoring not painting lol but replacing all the parts pracitcally its 1959 10hp evinrude golden jubilee model 1959 was the 50th aniversy for evinrude its on the pontoon and the ski boat has 50hp merc 500 clasicc inline it was a four cylinder but the thing hasnt ran in porbably 5-10 years all i know is i nvr seen it run

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Boy, if I knew what these kids knew when I was that age I'd be a certified marine mechanic by now!

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner

Welcome!

The biggest issues we've seen is the crud that breaks loose from the (built-in) tank and finds it's way toward the motor. Stuck anti-siphon valves, crud in the VST tank, plugged injectors and hard starting motors. 10 micron filters help more than the 27 micron filters but is not a cure-all. Most everyone uses additives more now and that seems to help.

There are a couple of stations around that don't have E10 but I'm sure that won't last. I got E10 gas only once and had a terrible time getting the motor started. Went back to my usual station and have had no further starting issues.

From what we're hearing on the news some stations were using up to 40% even though the pumps said 10%. Company officials admitted there was extra added "by mistake" but wouldn't say how much. Some Wildlife officers had some tested and found it was over 20% (over double).